uniqs

Exiled
join:2003-09-20
Canada
·EBOX

Exiled

Port 25

Good afternoon,

I just called in to technical support to have port 25 unblocked on my business cable line. I got into a slight argument with the gentleman who told me that eBox has NEVER blocked port 25. At this point in time, it seems that 25 IS still blocked. Is there anyone who could please confirm?

Thank you,
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere

Hmm, that isn't the impression I received... I thought they DID block port 25 (I believe this is common amongst ISPs to reduce SPAM).

Maybe the agent was misinformed? Hopefully one of the supervisors can post here to clarify if they actually do / don't block the port.

Exiled
join:2003-09-20
Canada

Exiled

I ran a couple tests... it definitely seems blocked. Not sure what to do now... if I should call and get into another argument.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

TPIA "business" cable is as far as I know simply residential cable installed in a business location.

stepson
@192.187.118.x

stepson to Exiled

Anon

to Exiled
Just ask your web host to run a Exim Mail Server on port 26 (it's really easy) or better use the ssl 465 port.
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere to Exiled

to Exiled
I'd call back and ask to get the call escalated... arguing with an agent is a waste of your time.

If it turns out the agent is incorrect, they can use it as a coaching opportunity. This seems to be the new customer service industry buzz word.

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace

Premium Member

said by iamhere:

If it turns out the agent is incorrect, they can use it as a coaching opportunity. This seems to be the new customer service industry buzz word.

There is a lot of details to remember so yes coaching is important. Port 25 is indeed blocked on Cable and DSL (except for static ips users). PM Ebox_Eric with your account # approximative call time and he will coach the agent who misinformed you.

Thanks

Henri
@142.85.5.x

Henri

Anon

I'm surprised by your answer... check this:

»[Cable] Ports bloqués

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace

Premium Member

The answer is correct, port 25 is blocked but open to our smtp only with a rate limiter.

If you have static ips it is wide open (only on DSL) for server usage so you can basically host your own smtp.

Baroness
join:2013-11-19
Canada

Baroness to Exiled

to Exiled
If you set your mail client to use Ebox's smtp, and since you will be on their connection, you should be able to send mails using port 25.

You can probably get an email address to do it