spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Minni
join:2010-04-20

2 edits

Minni

Magic Jack setup - seek help

Hi, all, preparatory to attempting to set up Magic Jack via my dry-loop line plus 1980s-style corded-phone, I was browsing thru instructions given by mjcheck.low.li (sept.2013 registration & activation)

But I got confused when reaching this part:

"Disconnect your device from the usb port on your computer & connect it directly to the router, ac adapter and phone connector."

QUESTION:
Does this mean that EVERY time I need to use the phone (outgoing or incoming) I need to pull out the blue Ethernet from my laptop & plug it into the MJplus??

In other words:

If I want to access Internet, I need to pull out the Ethernet from MJ & hook it to my laptop, and then if I later want to use the phone, I need to plug it back into the MJ?

I’d appreciate clarification from anyone who is already experienced in same.

Because I'm scared to proceed until I know ahead of time what to do.

Thanks!
Minni

1 edit

Minni

Click for full size
UPDATE:

I decided to jump in and forge ahead anyway - except it didn't work.
It did not work on BOTH my Win-XP laptops - as for my Win-7 laptop, it didn't display altogether.

I kept trying to go thru the registration process, but
as you can see from above screenshot
it kept on freezing up at the 911 screen with no popup option displaying whatsoever.

None of the personnel at MJ online support were able to figure out my prob.

Furthermore, all their registration windows freeze in a way that they're not draggable within my desktop!!

My Q is - why do they insist on shoving their "GO" version down my throat? I purposely bought an older version from 2012 or 2013 because people said there were less issues with that version, yet it insisted on downloading the "Upgrade" which turns out to be the "GO" version!!
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

vintagewino

I assume you have the "new MJ dongle", so you have to plug the unit into your USB port to register it, and get a phone #.

THEN, you can plug it into an ethernet cable (and the dongle into a USB wall power device), and you should be ok.

One caveat: be careful of the old 80's style phones (and older). Some of them may not ring, and ome may not give a dial tone or very low volume. Check the ringer equivalence 3, it should be quite low.

Have used my OLD dongle (USB only, pre-2010) for over 5 years, and have had good results.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by vintagewino:

Have used my OLD dongle (USB only, pre-2010) for over 5 years, and have had good results.

+1 Same thing here, use it almost every day without any problems at all.
Minni
join:2010-04-20

Minni to vintagewino

to vintagewino
said by vintagewino:

One caveat: be careful of the old 80's style phones (and older). Some of them may not ring, and ome may not give a dial tone or very low volume. Check the ringer equivalence 3, it should be quite low.

Physically speaking - I have the MJ-plus 2012 (or 2013) - the one which states "2013 Best Practice Award" on front of package.

What do you mean by ringer equivalence? I gather that the REN: value of all phones connected to MJ should not exceed 2.0.

I've been getting Error 3002, even though by now I'm supposedly activated (including assigned a MJ phone number)

I've been getting feedback on the DSLreports Electronics forum - because there didn't seem to be much action on this one.

So now I need to shop around for a Switch and more ethernet cables, since I only have a modem-programed-as-router. And the latter just has one ethernet port.