ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

Macworld Magazine Print edition no more

Surprised that they held on this long, I just picked up the November 2014 edition of Macworld Magazine, and apparently it is the last print edition of the magazine according to the editorial on page 5! Hope they do well being electronic only! I wonder how long before MacLife follow suit! I kinda like the print edition over an electronic edition of a magazine, maybe I'm old fashioned....
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

End of an era. They apparently also laid-off about 65% of the newsroom staff when they shutdown print.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to ArthurS

Premium Member

to ArthurS
Paper magazines of any subject struggle to maintain subscribers and advertisers these days. And with the sharp increase in the percentage of folks who are capable of reading an electronic version, there is less incentive to "kill trees" in a profit-challenging way. The one downside is...reading in the "library"...
Maggs
Premium Member
join:2002-11-29
Jackson Heights, NY

Maggs to ArthurS

Premium Member

to ArthurS
I think print is better than digital. I tried reading a trade publication in digital today, and it was a PITA to move around the pages and articles.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

That's because there hasn't been an interface developed to give you the freedom a book has. The feedback is hard to reproduce in the digital world. Print is always easier to read than any e-ink reader. I have a Kindle and I still find myself wanting a book with the ability to highlight items, bookmark and make notes.

You need a suite of applications to achieve that with multiple windows of the same data. It's a pain and then some.
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total

said by michieru:

I have a Kindle and I still find myself wanting a book with the ability to highlight items, bookmark and make notes.

I'm sure all that will be possible after the first reader implements it. Folding over the corner of a page though may result in a lot of cracked screens.

enon
@96.11.48.x

enon to Maggs

Anon

to Maggs
said by Maggs:

I tried reading a trade publication in digital today, and it was a PITA to move around the pages and articles.

There's s couple trade magazines I really miss reading. It seems the electronic versions either use a clunky app, require you to read on their site and therefore you must be online, or involve some annoying proprietary reader that doesn't work on mobile.

PLEASE, just give me an f-ing plain Jane PDF I can import in to iBooks and read while I'm on the train and don't have a signal. Nobody wants your stupid flashy page turning animations.

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

1 recommendation

Titus to Maggs

to Maggs
Print will see a resurgence once Marketers flip the switch to make it kewl again. IOW, rebrand it vintage or something else.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to ArthurS

Premium Member

to ArthurS
»Macworld/iWorld Goes on Hiatus, No 2015 Event Planned

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to ArthurS

Premium Member

to ArthurS
I happily subscribed to MacWorld Magazine for many years in the 90's and early 2000's.

I stopped renewing my subscription because their prices crept up and the magazine itself became smaller and smaller. I think the last straw was when they wanted over $30 per year for a renewal.

Also, I don't visit their website much anymore due to the intrusive full-screen ads.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

bjf123

Premium Member

I still get it on my iPad via the Zinio app. The current issue is the first one since the print edition stopped. The layout has changed a little and I'm not sure if I like it. I'll have to give it a month or two to see if I keep buying it.