Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude

Premium Member

5/Five great browser add-ins to protect your privacy

»www.itworld.com/article/ ··· acy.html from »www.linuxsecurity.com/co ··· w/162794 ...

"Be safe rather than sorry with these free browser tools..."

From this list, I only use AdBlock Plus in my SeaMonkey and Firefox web browsers. What about the rest of you?
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

1 recommendation

85160670 (banned)

Use CHROME with :Privacy Badger, AdBlock, Disconnect, was Ghostery too .... but some vague with Ghostery works behind our back

Kit
@108.28.157.x

Kit to antdude

Anon

to antdude
I use Adguard rather than Adblock Plus and supplement it with Ghostery. But Ghostery is controversial in some quarters. In addition, some people argue you can do as well (if not better) by subscribing to the EasyPrivacy list rather than Ghostery.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

1 recommendation

StuartMW to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Adblock Plus (long time user)
Disconnect (just installed)

Forgot to add I still have GoogleSharing installed. That doesn't perform it's intended function anymore (to proxy Google search requests) but the (good IMO) side effect is that all Google requests are blocked.

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

1 recommendation

humanfilth to antdude

to antdude
Privacy Badger from EFF is an interesting tool. So simple. Trying it out.
Does need an easier way to see each tracker that you've blocked, instead of 'unblock/reset all'.

»www.eff.org/privacybadger
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

2 recommendations

19579823 (banned) to antdude

to antdude

I would really love having a page that you could goto and test and see how much they were getting... I have scripts disabled and I believe that stops 99% of it......... (Having a test page to see would be awesome)

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

3 recommendations

StuartMW to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

Re: 5/Five great browser add-ins to protect your privacy

Click for full size
Disconnect add-in settings
So last night I installed the Disconnect add-in. It looks good.

However I just took a closer look at it's settings (in about:config) as shown above. Then I took a closer look at

extensions.disconnect.whitelist

Have a look at all the 'true' settings for these sites (defaults it seems)
quote:
"latimes.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"mediafire.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Facebook":true}}},
"salon.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"udacity.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Facebook":true,"Google":true,"Twitter":true}}},
"freshdirect.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"newyorker.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"cvs.com":{"Advertising":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"WPP":true}}},
"deviantart.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"hm.com":{"Analytics":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"IBM":true}}},
"macys.com":{"Analytics":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"IBM":true}}},
"nordstrom.com":{"Analytics":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"IBM":true}}},
"slideshare.net":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Facebook":true}},"Social":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"LinkedIn":true}}},
"target.com":{"Advertising":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Ensighten":true,"RichRelevance":true}}},
"easyjet.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"allocine.fr":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Facebook":true}}},
"ford.com":{"Advertising":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Adobe":true}}},
"fossil.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"subaru.com":{"Analytics":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Mongoose Metrics":true}}},
"vimeo.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"playtv.fr":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true,"Twitter":true}}},
"cbs.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"cbsnews.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"gamespot.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"ign.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"techrepublic.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"bloomberg.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"barackobama.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Twitter":true}}},
"minecraft.net":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"ted.com":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},
"dailymail.co.uk":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}},"Analytics":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"comScore":true}}},
"telegraph.co.uk":{"Disconnect":{"whitelisted":false,"services":{"Google":true}}},

Perhaps, and I'm being "optimistic" here, the listed sites don't work unless certain stuff is allowed. On the other hand I prefer to know what stuff is "whitelisted" by default.

PS: I erased all default white/blacklisted sites by setting

extensions.disconnect.blacklist = {}
extensions.disconnect.whitelist = {}

I'm deciding what I want to enable//block per site as I visit them.
StuartMW

2 edits

3 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

Ok I did a bit more digging. If you extract the Disconnect add-on .xpi file (rename it to .zip) you'll find the default settings in the

defaults\preferences\default.js

file. Here's the default whilelistings ('extensions.disconnect.whitelist' setting)

"latimes.com":{"Google":true},
"mediafire.com":{"Facebook":true},
"salon.com":{"Google":true},
"udacity.com":{"Twitter":true}}'

That's much better than the list above. I never visited any of those sites so I've no idea how they got in there. Perhaps they were downloaded/added on add-on installation.

I just checked the current 'extensions.disconnect.whitelist' entries and only the sites I've been to (and changed settings for) are listed.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

1 recommendation

DownTheShore to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
AdBlock Plus and NoScript here on Palemoon.

asdkfasjdklf
@214.38.153.x

asdkfasjdklf to antdude

Anon

to antdude
Ghostery
uBlock (much lighter and faster then AdBlock)
Privacy Badger
WOT

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

2 recommendations

angussf to 85160670

Premium Member

to 85160670
said by 85160670:

Use CHROME with :Privacy Badger, AdBlock, Disconnect, was Ghostery too .... but some vague with Ghostery works behind our back

Use CHROME and Google gets to track what you do. If you want to use Chrome, use one of the Chromium-based browsers which have Google's UID etc. stripped out. Iron Browser from srware.net appears to be one of the best of the Windows Chromium browsers.
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

THX & ACK ..... angussf, I hear about that is POC ¿ ¿