All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
x2thaz
join:2014-12-03
us

x2thaz

[Internet] can twc black list MAC address...

I currently have TWC internet service at my old apartment,I just moved out a few days ago and have not cancelled or changed my address. I have my own modem and decided to plug in my modem (Motorola) into my new apartment and what do you know everything works. Im curious to know if I call in TWC to cancel my service at my old apartment will they blacklist my MAC address modem? I was kinda of hoping to leech on the previous tenant hook up and get free internet... thoughts and feedback

thanks

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

If the modem MAC is not associated with an authorized paying account it won't get service.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

1 edit

hobgoblin to x2thaz

Premium Member

to x2thaz
said by x2thaz:

I was kinda of hoping to leech on the previous tenant hook up and get free internet... thoughts and feedback

Its working off your previous currently not cancelled account. As soon as you cancel it it will stop working. No free Lunch.

Hob

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to x2thaz

Premium Member

to x2thaz
said by x2thaz:

I currently have TWC internet service at my old apartment,I just moved out a few days ago and have not cancelled or changed my address. I have my own modem and decided to plug in my modem (Motorola) into my new apartment and what do you know everything works. Im curious to know if I call in TWC to cancel my service at my old apartment will they blacklist my MAC address modem? I was kinda of hoping to leech on the previous tenant hook up and get free internet... thoughts and feedback

thanks

If you want to continue using it, simply call them and file a change of address. They may ask if you need your service moved, just tell em you moved the modem, plugged it in and it works, and they will just update the address and your next bill will arrive at the new address.

No big deal. Cablemodems usually work within the same market, and as long as you pay your bill you won't be blacklisted.
ViperJohn
join:2000-03-23
Santa Ana, CA

ViperJohn to x2thaz

to x2thaz
said by x2thaz:

thanks

Your modems MAC address is tied to you customer account number. Your street address is just where TWC mails your bill to.

There is no need to cancel your account or call customer service. You can change your street address at: »myservices.timewarnercab ··· yservice .

Just login, go to My Account/Profile and edit away.

Viper

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by ViperJohn:

Your modems MAC address is tied to you customer account number. Your street address is just where TWC mails your bill to.

There is no need to cancel your account or call customer service. You can change your street address at: »myservices.timewarnercable.com/myservice .

Just login, go to My Account/Profile and edit away.

Your account has 2 street addresses, one for billing, one for the service. Often they're the same, but they are independent entries.

You can't just change service locations by changing the billing address. You have to call customer service to change service addresses. Depending on the situation and the locations involved, one account may need to be closed and a new account setup. The account number ranges are usually assigned to specific service areas. Service areas are delineated by a combination of city/county lines, zip codes, channels maps, and hubs providing service. If any of those change between locations, they're different service areas. Keeping the same account number across different service areas isn't possible, as far as I've experienced in the last 15 years with multiple cable providers.

If the OP takes your advice to just change billing addresses and someone moves in to the OP's old apartment, the OP will be paying for their service, not the service at his new location.