Clifton, NJ

1 recommendation

dm145 to mbernste

to mbernste

Re: Need SA1850!

said by mbernste:

said by gambitNJ:

Of course they say TiVoing

Not really. Many say DVRing with the alternate being TiVoing. The fact of the matter while it would be nice if there were more choice in STBs, there really isn't.

And many still say taping or simply did you record that. Only place I hear TIVO is here and by one individual.

greggy
@193.202.110.x

greggy to SirQAM

Anon

to SirQAM
Sirqam, your posts and suggestions are quite ridic. CV is only obligated to provide a working STB for the level of service the customer subscribes to. Providing the latest Samsung STB would pass any kind of complaint filed to any regulatory body despite the customer wanting an older obsolete one. CV legal obligation is to support tivo like devices but not equipment bought off the internet. OP should just pay for the service call if getting an 1850 is that important. He can also buy a $10 RF modulator and feed it with the composite outputs of a Samsung.

snsr
join:2008-05-29

snsr to frdrizzt

to frdrizzt
said by frdrizzt:

From what I understand, since last month Samsungs are supposed to be the only non-8300 boxes provided.

Thanks for the info. After using the Samsung DVR at a friend's house I'll never give up my HD8300 (though I may pick up a TiVO).

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

said by snsr:

Samsung DVR

Again that's not a DVR it's a standard cable box, the DVR is in the cloud. No recording is done on the physical cable box.

SirQAM
@70.111.158.x

SirQAM to greggy

Anon

to greggy
said by greggy :

Sirqam, your posts and suggestions are quite ridic. CV is only obligated to provide a working STB for the level of service the customer subscribes to. Providing the latest Samsung STB would pass any kind of complaint filed to any regulatory body despite the customer wanting an older obsolete one. CV legal obligation is to support tivo like devices but not equipment bought off the internet. OP should just pay for the service call if getting an 1850 is that important. He can also buy a $10 RF modulator and feed it with the composite outputs of a Samsung.

And your post and suggestions therein are perfect examples of the attitudes that have helped elevate CV and most other MSTV providers into a power position above the service subscribers.

At some point in time, CV must have provided the OP with the SA 1850, which the OP reports was fulfilling their video needs. That converter subsequently failed to perform, and the OP contacted CV to obtain a replacement. The OP has stated that he/she tried the replacement Samsung STB provided by their local CV walk-in center and found the PQ to be lacking as compared to the SA 1850. The OP contacted CV about this, and was offered to be charged for a service call to install an SD box.

What the OP hasn't made clear yet is whether CV actually promised the technician would be dispatched with an SA 1850, as per the customer's preference.

If CV would only provide the SA 1850 under those conditions, it sounds rather suspicious. Why should a customer be force-charged to obtain a replacement converter box for one they already have, but failed?

In that case, the OP should be able to step in where CV refuses to do so, provide his/her own equipment which CV should then activate (and maintain full control over, as they do every single converter box connected to the CV network) and the OP would then be a satisfied customer.

Greggy, your post exhibits no compassion whatsoever for the customer's problem. I interpreted your post as one blaming the OP for expecting the same or better PQ he/she had prior to the failure of the SA 1850, and as punishment, the OP should pay more money to CV to resolve the issue. I would say you had a point if the OP hadn't already tried the Samsung replacement as offered by CV, but the OP did and was dissatisfied with the results. CV should now make every effort at this point to restore the OP's satisfaction in their service.

pa prowler
join:2003-09-11
Matamoras, PA
·Optimum Online

pa prowler to DolanFan

to DolanFan
said by DolanFan:

Samsung GX-SM530CF: I'd be interested in feedback as to if the Cablevision Cable Card activates without issue on this box.

I picked up my GX-SM530CF boxes this evening. After letting the box run its updates, setting a few parameters, and my WIFI, I was prompted to call the 800 number to bind the card to the box. After reaching the correct department I confirmed the numbers appearing on the screen and was instantly provisioned. I spent maybe 10 - 15 minutes on the phone total, 3/4 of that on hold waiting for an available representative. I was not expecting it to be this painless. So far I like the box. It's really small.

CVcharley
@209.122.192.x

CVcharley to SirQAM

Anon

to SirQAM
why don u understand that cablevision don't wanna put sd box back in circulation? quicker they phase then out then they can allocate the bandwith for more HD channel. once they come in from the field, they don't go back. suppose dolanfan wants a Sony box should Cablevisin install that too. get real man.
DolanFan
join:2003-12-23

DolanFan to SirQAM

to SirQAM
I pay Cablevision enough per month so their is no sanity in paying them to install a STB that I can install myself if they would provide me one. They committed to have a tech install an SD STB with no commit on type or if it had the S-Video output that I also need (some 1850s don't). They claim they have no inventory which I find interesting since the truck they would send to my house would roll from the same location as the WIC that has no inventory. I'll live with the less than optimal SD from the Samsung until a better option presents itself... (move to FIOS, move to Satellite, move south out of the snow!)

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to CVcharley

MVM

to CVcharley
said by CVcharley :

why don u understand that cablevision don't wanna put sd box back in circulation? quicker they phase then out then they can allocate the bandwith for more HD channel

I think you are confusing SD/HD with analog and digital. All of Cablevision's channels, regardless if they are SD or HD are now digital. They made the conversion about 2-3 years ago and as such you either need a QAM capable TV (for unencrypted channels) or a box to receive all the channels.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

said by mbernste:

said by CVcharley :

why don u understand that cablevision don't wanna put sd box back in circulation? quicker they phase then out then they can allocate the bandwith for more HD channel

I think you are confusing SD/HD with analog and digital. All of Cablevision's channels, regardless if they are SD or HD are now digital. They made the conversion about 2-3 years ago and as such you either need a QAM capable TV (for unencrypted channels) or a box to receive all the channels.

I believe what he is referring to is that the Samsung can take HD feeds and output 480i, so there would not need to be a dedicated SD feed, which would free up additional bandwidth. That goal (if it is one by CV) is so far out that it's not going to happen naturally by box exchanges. They need to make the Samsung more desirable to get people to want to replace their existing HW with them before that, or just give plenty of advance notice and just flip the switch.
DolanFan
join:2003-12-23

DolanFan

What really kills me is that Cablevision reducing their box selection to just ONE reduces their hardware handling and other costs yet some are reporting they are increasing the box rental fee from 6.71 to 7.50 in certain areas. Can't see how they justify that since they also must have gotten a huge discount buying the Samsung boxes based on the larger quantity needed vs fragmenting the inventory with SD, HD and DVR boxes.... Only the one HD box is needed for everything now..

gambitNJ
join:2012-11-15
Your Mom

gambitNJ

And the identity of that one HD box is TiVo