Search similar:

uniqs
BobFlyer
join:2014-10-31
Panama City, FL

BobFlyer

[Connection] New Concast Install Question

New Comcast Install

Background: Looking to have Comcast Internet service only, no other services required.
Service I am considering is the Performance 25mbps service.
Single Family House, very old drop from telephone pole to house, about 35 feet long, last used by me in 1996 with Comcast, dropped service due to poor connections and troubles just for TV back then.

Single outlet provided by me, has RG6 new running from grounding block outside thru attic to a newly purchased retail white modem SB 6141 which is Cat5e wired to my computer. Wiring has been checked and works with my current slow DSL (cat 5e distribution) router modem.
No new outlet is required. Netflix, Amazon Prime, streaming application, only one person using service.

Questions:

What is included in a new install, I have received statements that the install is free to $60 depending on who I am talking. I-net install quotes are higher, sales person at front door says free, local branch office says 29,95 but may require other fees which they don't or won't tell me what they may consist or how much. Even explaining the setup I have. No luck in defining the costs to me on install.

I wish to have the line replaced from the pole to the house grounding block (grounding block is completely shot internally, rusted away, no continuity), and the drop from the pole to the house has been eaten away by UV over many years. Drop is about 22 years old.

Thus the way I see the install is New Hot Tap SRO from pole to house, and install new grounding block.

Next option would be to have the technician check the modem (my owned unit) for proper signal levels, and activate the modem. Is this what the install charge is for?

How do I assure that I do not get hit with multiple service fees up front?
I don't mind paying a install fee, but wish to know what I am getting myself into.

I have read about the self install, however, with a new line, and grounding block, I would not know if the required signal levels are present, unless the technician checks this at the time it was replaced. My guess, would be the technician would see an existing drop available, replace the connectors and the grounding block and be done. Leaving me with future issues during rain storms, wind and other issues with the older pole to house cable.

I live in the Panama City Beach where it is hot and salty environment.

Thanks for any advise and suggestions. BobFlyer

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

said by BobFlyer:

Thus the way I see the install is New Hot Tap SRO from pole to house, and install new grounding block.

Next option would be to have the technician check the modem (my owned unit) for proper signal levels, and activate the modem. Is this what the install charge is for?

How do I assure that I do not get hit with multiple service fees up front?
I don't mind paying a install fee, but wish to know what I am getting myself into.

I have read about the self install, however, with a new line, and grounding block, I would not know if the required signal levels are present, unless the technician checks this at the time it was replaced. My guess, would be the technician would see an existing drop available, replace the connectors and the grounding block and be done. Leaving me with future issues during rain storms, wind and other issues with the older pole to house cable.

I live in the Panama City Beach where it is hot and salty environment.

Thanks for any advise and suggestions. BobFlyer

let the tech do his job. mention when he arrives that the drop is from 96, and he will replace it.

they will verify levels, ingress, grounding, and replace things as needed. he may also have to put an inline pad on your line since its modem only, and too much signal is just as bad as too low of a signal.
BobFlyer
join:2014-10-31
Panama City, FL

BobFlyer

Thanks, do you have any information on what is considered a
normal install and the fees associated with the install?

BobFlyer
suggy2004
join:2004-01-07
Conshohocken, PA

suggy2004 to BobFlyer

to BobFlyer
I think the install is a standard charge, when i sign up in Feb 2014, we paid $34.99, we have tripple play.