gwalk

Premium Member

[hard drive] New build and adding a SSD

Just finished a new build for wife's computer:

Asus A97-A motherboard
Intel I7-4770 3.4 GHZ processor
32 GB RAM
Win7 Ultimate.

Everything went well, fired up with no problems or errors. Surprising in that it is my first build in several years and things sure have changed.

I loaded Win7 on an old WD 1TB SATA drive I had as a spare but before I go to far .. I though maybe I would try a SSD drive.

I ordered:
Intel 530 Series 240GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive
MODEL: BBSSDSC240

Can anyone offer any advice on any changes or differences I need to make in Windows and perhaps BIOS settings when I install the drive ?

Also, usually I install a second hard drive in all my machines, this one I'll likely reuse the one TB Western Digital. One purpose of the 2nd drive is to allow Windows a place to do file backups and disc image backups.
Will the image backup and if ever needed to be used, be any different when using a SSD drive ?

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

It seems that the early SSD issues with limited writes isn't as much of an issue with current drives - HD Endurance

It really depends on how she uses the machine. Myself, I have to off load most of my programs and all of my data or I run out of space. If she's not going to fill 240GB you don't need to do anything. If she's going to fill 240GB then move her data to the 1TB drive.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to gwalk

Premium Member

to gwalk
Just ensure the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode and not IDE mode.
said by gwalk:

Will the image backup and if ever needed to be used, be any different when using a SSD drive ?

I'm not sure of what you are asking. Unless you are periodically cloning the SSD onto the HDD, the OS on the HDD won't be a replica of the SSD, but simply a place from which you can restore the SSD should something happen to it.

I believe, and the hard drive/data recovery gurus should weigh in here, that you would need to periodically mirror the SSD onto the HDD (or a partition of it), say once a week, for the HDD to be a clone copy of the SSD's OS and files.

You might need to partition the HDD and use one for a clone copy of the OS, and the second for personal files/documents.

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk to Kilroy

Premium Member

to Kilroy
I don't think she will ever fill the 240GB with her computer habits ... very little software to load.
She is looking more for fast starts than anything else.

I was concerned with stuff like Windows not doing Auto Defrags (needless writes to the drive and that sort of thing.

My backup strategy has been daily incremental backups and a disc image once per month, keeping the current and one month back with the process automated and stored on the 2nd drive.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by gwalk:

I was concerned with stuff like Windows not doing Auto Defrags (needless writes to the drive and that sort of thing.

Windows should automatically disable defrags when it detects the SSD, but it doesn't hurt to verify.