Search similar:

uniqs
dsl2u
join:2012-05-16
R3L3A1
·VMedia

dsl2u to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1

Re: [General] How does a noob get started with using VoIP at home?

I just think that if they could make their service work right away in a basic way, they could get 10 times the customers. Surely that's worth it. Then these same customers adapt more and more of the available features down the road. A year later they are a VOIP expert thanks to the introduction offered in the beginning. And they're spending more for those more advanced features.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by dsl2u:

I just think that if they could make their service work right away in a basic way, they could get 10 times the customers.

I'm curious what market research has been done to substantiate this figure, and would be quite interested in reading it myself.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to dsl2u

Premium Member

to dsl2u
said by dsl2u:

I just think that if they could make their service work right away in a basic way, they could get 10 times the customers. Surely that's worth it. Then these same customers adapt more and more of the available features down the road. A year later they are a VOIP expert thanks to the introduction offered in the beginning. And they're spending more for those more advanced features.

Except that for the solid majority of folks, the service DOES work right away.

One of their well-known attributes is ease of use. That's one of their key selling points.

You are one of the few people that has had problems.

When you look at this VoIP forum, there are NOT many issues raised regarding CC ease of use.

And when you look at the roughly 200 reviews of CC on this DSLR website, they are quite good overall.

And if I may say it for the 23rd time, your sample size is limited and this has skewed your understanding.

Entering VoIP through FPL and GV is like entering a restaurant by the back door instead of the main entrance, then complaining that you saw trash dumpsters.

Try using Anveo---which [is] a fine company with many advanced features---and let me know what you think of THEIR ease of use, and the difficulty level in figuring out all of their inbound and outbound services.

And they're spending more for those more advanced features.

CC does not charge extra for any advanced features.
zamarac
join:2008-11-29
Canada

1 edit

1 recommendation

zamarac to dsl2u

to dsl2u
said by dsl2u:

If they could make their service work right away in a basic way, they could get 10 times the customers

VoIP is now considered by many consumers a "spare home phone", while a cell phone is "the one". Some companies like CC, Voip.ms, Anveo operate on a very specific market segment: low cost, feature rich, advanced users or pro. Getting into basic hardware devices attracts more clients as you meant - take Vonage as an example, but then requires a lot more upfront investment in hardware, marketing, support and infrastructure, and results in higher rates. So you better make your choice: consumer curiosity about uncommon features or basic simplicity.
giqcass
join:2014-03-10

giqcass

said by zamarac:

Getting into basic hardware devices attracts more clients as you meant - take Vonage as an example, but then requires a lot more upfront investment in hardware, marketing, support and infrastructure, and results in higher rates. So you better make your choice: consumer curiosity about uncommon features or basic simplicity.

+1 Many companies cite customer support as one of their largest expenditures.
dsl2u
R3L3A1
·VMedia

dsl2u

You really don't need much in the way of customer support if the website and design of the softphone is good. Its self explanatory. Its widespread and management in all fields just don't understand communication so they waste untold amounts of money on customer support.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by dsl2u:

You really don't need much in the way of customer support if the website and design of the softphone is good. Its self explanatory. Its widespread and management in all fields just don't understand communication so they waste untold amounts of money on customer support.

I'm glad you're here to tell us these things.
PX Eliezer1

2 recommendations

PX Eliezer1 to dsl2u

Premium Member

to dsl2u
PS: Nobody gives a shit about the softphone. You can't seem to understand that.

CC is a real VoIP company. The softphone is simply not a main part of the picture. Voip.MS does not even offer a softphone.

Voxox is a platform built around a softphone. Totally different.

TL/DR: Nobody gives a shit about the softphone except you.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to HarryH3

to HarryH3
Late to the game, but Callcentric is the only way to go for decent support and their Telemarketer Block - »www.callcentric.com/feat ··· er_block . It is the most underrated feature.
dsl2u
R3L3A1
·VMedia

dsl2u to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
> I'm glad you're here to tell us these things.

You're most welcome. Nothing like a bit of common sense to realign us with reality!

Regarding the cell phone competition: This is, unfortunately, a huge headache in quality communication. I have to deal with cell phone twits and its just so aggravating. Dropped words, distortion, then there is the human distraction of being out and about. They send text messages like they failed Grade 2 English. Its dumbed us down as a society to no end. It could have been so good. But in the last 2-3 years, life has really changed.

> Nobody gives a shit about the softphone.

Ask a few new customers and they will all disagree. They want to test the system of course and often they don't realize how cheap IP phones are on the used market. The company doesn't have to make one. Just recommend one that works OK with their system. There are several you people have recommended.

And thank you for the reasons IP phones are preferable. Well stated.

> Callcentric is the only way to go for decent support and their Telemarketer Block.

I never noticed that on their website. Sounds fantastic. Thanks!

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

3 recommendations

arpawocky to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

I'm glad you're here to tell us these things.

Heck, if it weren't for the inciteful wisdom of dsl2u See Profile, I would never have even known that CallCentric had their own softphone..

Never even noticed it until dsl2u See Profile started complaining about the "callcentric window" in a previous thread.

Of course, without being aware of their softphone, it would only have been a matter of time before I would become irreparably alienated. Thank goodness this has been avoided. Phew.
zamarac
Canada

4 edits

1 recommendation

zamarac to dsl2u

to dsl2u
said by dsl2u:

You really don't need much in the way of customer support if the website and design of the softphone is good.

Its an overstatement. Also I doubt anyone would use a generic provider's softphone, when Bria and Zoiper are well established alternatives, and have free versions. On the other hand, free line softphones like Freephoneline, while very limited in features, are quite convenient for lengthy or privacy calls to unknown local contacts. Some softphones allow ZRTP encrypted calls for private conversations, since similar hardware devices are costly. Regardless, it was discussed in the media that ALL internet and mobile traffic in North America is recorded.
dsl2u
R3L3A1
·VMedia

dsl2u

Good points.
1: Can both Bria or Zoiper work with CallCentric?
2: Can they accept multiple phone numbers? Is there a limit?
3: Do they display caller ID?
4: Is there a voicemail link in the softphone or do we have to use the phone number company's website to listen to voicemail?
zamarac
Canada

1 edit

zamarac to HarryH3

to HarryH3
To dsl2u

YES to all, and you setup Voicemail ext.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

2 recommendations

PX Eliezer1 to dsl2u

Premium Member

to dsl2u
said by dsl2u:

> Callcentric is the only way to go for decent support and their Telemarketer Block.

I never noticed that on their website. Sounds fantastic.

Yes it is, and there is more that you have not noticed as well.

LookInside
@98.113.213.x

LookInside to dsl2u

Anon

to dsl2u
You may find a list of 3rd party tested and compatible with Callcentric devices here:

»www.callcentric.com/supp ··· /device/

This page shows both hardware and software devices known to interoperate well with CC.

Each device and/or hard/soft-phone there has a detailed manual describing configuration steps required to set that particular device or a software phone to work with Callcentric networks and to utilize most its features.

All those devices and soft-phones are able to reach to and use CC voice mail feature and be updated by CC network when there was left a new voice mail in the box. Each CC extension may have its own voice mail as well as Call Treatments may analyze and send incoming call to the voice-mail box depending on conditions configured by an account owner.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by LookInside :

You may find a list of 3rd party tested and compatible with Callcentric devices here:

»www.callcentric.com/supp ··· /device/

Yeah, but all that technical stuff is too complicated! Callcentric just tosses money out the window by catering to people who know what they're doing with setting up stuff.
dsl2u
R3L3A1

dsl2u to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
No doubt. Thanks to the many experienced and patient people here I'm learning.
zamarac
Canada

3 edits

zamarac

said by zamarac:

some softphones allow ZRTP encrypted calls

This post claims, Callcentric passes zrtp traffic when supported by both parties softphones, even if registered on different networks. Can anyone confirm its still true today? Opps, I just found it was 2 years back.

topgun
join:2011-01-31

topgun to giqcass

to giqcass
Not really. There are elements you can't control such as the ISP, knowing how to use port forwarding if needed, if your internet or any hardware needs replacing eg. modem, router, or ATA stops working your phone is worthless! I have had land line service since early 2000s; I only remember a handful of times when land line did not work and it was very brief. Compare that to how many problems I have had with my ISP going down, routers lock up or fail, internet latency or congestion, etc. How many elderly people do you know who use VOIP if it is so mainstream?
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

said by topgun:

Not really. There are elements you can't control such as the ISP, knowing how to use port forwarding if needed, if your internet or any hardware needs replacing eg. modem, router, or ATA stops working your phone is worthless!

Is that the only way of using VoIP? I thought that "voice over internet" meant just that, and not everybody is aware that they are using VoIP or even any of the technology behind their phone. I'm just wondering if people are using different definitions - ie. talking about different things.

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by Ole Juul:

Is that the only way of using VoIP?

No. I've had practically (not literally) zero problems using VoIP since first starting with Vonage a long time ago. No real issues, just really good to excellent service at prices that are reasonable, to me. A bad ISP or using crappy hardware can, of course, make a world of difference.

topgun
join:2011-01-31

topgun to Ole Juul

to Ole Juul
VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) it is all but obvious I'm referring to in in a residential or SOHO setting. As you said yourself no real issues so that means there were some. I don't care how much you spend on hardware, how great one thinks it is, everybody at one time or another has had call qualities issues, a dropped call, or something similar. Even if it was brief or happened for only a few calls. The reason I can say this is because it is going over the internet the routes are not going to be perfect 100% of the time and neither is the ISPs QOS. Unlike traditional POTS where voice traffic goes over a dedicated network just for voice. Cable companies also have their digital voice service but the traffic is groomed, uses dedicated bandwidth on the coax, and does not touch the public internet like it would through Vonage on an ISP that is cable or DSL. FYI CallCentic has been around for a long time and the customer service, features, and origination and termination services they provide are excellent.
jlk440
join:2008-11-30
Romney, WV

jlk440 to Ole Juul

to Ole Juul
said by Ole Juul:

Is that the only way of using VoIP? I thought that "voice over internet" meant just that, and not everybody is aware that they are using VoIP or even any of the technology behind their phone. I'm just wondering if people are using different definitions - ie. talking about different things.

Sure, people may be talking about different things, but "Voice over Internet Protocol" does not require the public internet, since IP traffic can remain within private networks. U-verse or Comcast customers may be unaware they're using VoIP technology. Skype and GV customers may know they're calling via internet without knowing the term "VoIP". And I wonder how many enterprise phone systems use VoIP internally (typically via IP phones) but use the PSTN for all their outside calls.

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to topgun

Premium Member

to topgun
said by topgun:

I don't care how much you spend on hardware, how great one thinks it is, everybody at one time or another has had call qualities issues, a dropped call, or something similar.

True, and the same can be said for the PSTN, especially in older communities and cities where numerous problems exist with bad copper (loose connections, hum, cross-talk, static). Many people have posted here about how VOIP sounds better than their old POTS line used to, or how the telecom technicians would try to fix issues by going from pair to pair, hoping to find "a good one" that wouldn't be a problem.
fparker
join:2008-04-28
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

fparker

My elederly parents' PSTN Bell Canada line was so bad they had constant severe static whenever it rained. Bell refused to do any long lasting repairs.

I switched them to cable internet and ported their Bell # to voip and problem solved.

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by fparker:

My elederly parents' PSTN Bell Canada line was so bad they had constant severe static whenever it rained. Bell refused to do any long lasting repairs.

Yep, and that aging copper infrastructure is deteriorating even further, as the different ILECs spend less and less on maintenance as they attempt to cut their losses on this more and more outdated technology.
DaveL54
join:2005-11-12
Urbana, IL

DaveL54 to HarryH3

to HarryH3
65 year old lines is a big part of why I got VOIP other than the savings.
Every rainy season it would fall in a heap. I got friendly with the phone co guy that came to repair it. He had argued for this section to be upgraded only to be rebuffed.

We got so used to the different issues I could tell him which box down the road was the likely culprit. One particular junction was in front of a seed corn processor. It was always attacked by mice. Uber splices everywhere. I asked him why they didn't put down some poison. His response was the PETA people put a stop to that.
Ya just can't win over bad logic or stupidity.
Sorry Ma Bell, it was fine while it lasted.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to HarryH3

to HarryH3
I first switched to VoIP to reduce the costs of having additional lines, and once AT&T started letting the lines go to shit and ours started humming whenever it rained, I made the full jump and am not regretting it. At my grandmothers house on her line the unit or whatever that plays the error recordings has failed and now when you leave a phone off-hook it just goes to dead air instead, it's been that way for months without being fixed. It's sad watching it all rot.

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

I just had a house built and opted NOT to have a PSTN drop installed. No need, no interest and why bother?