[Equipment] Verizon is killing off 3G

Verizon Killing 3G
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan

Premium Member

OK so this won't impact our non-smart Verizon phones right? We only use them for voice and texting, those run off of 2G?

xrayman
join:2008-12-09
Kansas City

xrayman

"In order to support customers with flip phones, feature phones and other 3G devices, Verizon will keep the 3G network running for at least a few more years."
Verizon will keep the 3G network but in some places it will operate on a lot less bandwidth. That is the way I read the article.
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

Actually slated to run till 2023 . To many M to M out there on 3G . Nowhere did they say they were shutting it down . Just reassigning some frequency to 4G

AnonDude
@97.95.147.x

AnonDude to xrayman

Anon

to xrayman
said by AmericanMan:

OK so this won't impact our non-smart Verizon phones right? We only use them for voice and texting, those run off of 2G?

2G will eventually be shut down too. CDMA is going away eventually. Everything will eventually be LTE. By the time 2G gets shut down I doubt basic phones will even exist.
said by Max Signal:

Actually slated to run till 2023 . To many M to M out there on 3G . Nowhere did they say they were shutting it down . Just reassigning some frequency to 4G

Actually Verizon only guarantees up until Dec 31 2019. Not sure where you got the 2023 number.
said by xrayman:

"In order to support customers with flip phones, feature phones and other 3G devices, Verizon will keep the 3G network running for at least a few more years."
Verizon will keep the 3G network but in some places it will operate on a lot less bandwidth. That is the way I read the article.

According to Mike Haberman, vice president of network operations, Verizon is rolling out LTE on its PCS bands, formerly used for EV-DO, in 10 markets.

“In Manhattan, PCS is up with LTE. It puts us in even a better situation, because you’ve got another 10×10 block out there right now,” Haberman said.

Although Haberman didn’t reveal what other cities will see their PCS bands transition to LTE, the change has already been spotted in Manhattan and Cleveland, Ohio. As usage on Verizon’s EV-DO network decreases because users upgrade to new phones, it’s a foregone conclusion that Verizon will repurpose its spectrum.

Of course, Verizon can’t fully shut down its 3G networks yet — not everyone has a new smartphone that supports LTE — but 80 percent of Verizon’s data traffic already runs on LTE. And as Verizon moves its voice and text traffic over to the IP network, it will be able to start shutting down its 2G capacity as well. Haberman pointed out that it only takes 2.5 MHz of spectrum to keep a minimal 2G network online. So there’s plenty of spectrum that can be reclaimed.

Verizon has committed to support EV-DO until at least December 31, 2019, Haberman said
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to Max Signal

Premium Member

to Max Signal
said by Max Signal:

Oh noes! The power company will have to bring me a new power meter!
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to Jack in VA

to Jack in VA
It's about time to be honest, as if they're going to try to do an all VoLTE network, they need to make LTE match the coverage of CDMA (or very close to it)

Now all they have to do is work on some site density issues to ensure LTE has the same indoor coverage as CDMA although over the last month or so i've noticed it dropping to 3G only a few times (and that was in Phoenix, everywhere else has been solid LTE)

AnonDude
@97.95.147.x

AnonDude

Anon

said by brad152:

It's about time to be honest, as if they're going to try to do an all VoLTE network, they need to make LTE match the coverage of CDMA (or very close to it)

Now all they have to do is work on some site density issues to ensure LTE has the same indoor coverage as CDMA although over the last month or so i've noticed it dropping to 3G only a few times (and that was in Phoenix, everywhere else has been solid LTE)

The PCS spectrum they are converting is on 1900 MHz which is a bit better than AWS for DL but a bit worse for UL compared to AWS. Both are worse than the 700 MHz Verizon originally used for LTE( and still uses ) The 1x spectrum( cellular ) runs on 850 MHz and of course Verizon should get some 600 MHz in the incentive auctions in 2016 and that should solve any issues with coverage.
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159 to Jack in VA

to Jack in VA
»www.howardforums.com/sho ··· =1850023
Verizon's Band 2 PCS LTE Deployment

...we've spotted Band 2 already. Take that into consideration on a new phone. Bands 2/4/13 and in the future, 5 are gonna be the goal.
brad152
Chicago, IL

brad152 to AnonDude

to AnonDude
said by AnonDude :

said by brad152:

The PCS spectrum they are converting is on 1900 MHz which is a bit better than AWS for DL but a bit worse for UL compared to AWS. Both are worse than the 700 MHz Verizon originally used for LTE( and still uses ) The 1x spectrum( cellular ) runs on 850 MHz and of course Verizon should get some 600 MHz in the incentive auctions in 2016 and that should solve any issues with coverage.

Well i can say that i know for a fact that places like Phoenix can function perfectly fine on AWS, as T-Mobile uses AWS for their LTE network in Phoenix and it outperforms VZW 700MHz and AWS in both indoor coverage and speed on a regular basis.

The only reason i'm using VZW right now is because of the Ohio coverage being a lot better than T-Mobile at the present time until they get done deploying their 700MHz and then i'll most likely swap back to T-Mobile as I just like them better overall than VZW

Skipdawg
The Original

join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA

Skipdawg to Jack in VA

to Jack in VA
I have the XLTE here and my Turbo just got the update for VoLTE. But I have a backup flip phone that is 3G. So they would have to make a offer for another phone that would work on 4G or I'd just dump that account. Maybe move it over to one of those AARP flip phones. lol
Being a disabled Vet I need a backup just incase. Have to have that communication in place just in case.
mikeluscher159

mikeluscher159

Your Turbo will still support both legacy CDMA bands, until Verizon shuts them off. They're currently only toying around with the 1.9 EVDO 3G, not the 850mhz 1X that dates back to the Clinton administration!
Bigglesworth
join:2011-02-22
Santa Barbara, CA

Bigglesworth to Jack in VA

to Jack in VA
How moronic would they be to get rid of 3G when its a massive part of their infrastructure where 4G doesn't reach? What would be the point of that exactly?
mikeluscher159

mikeluscher159

Its 5 years away, we're only spotting testing. Its also for more efficient and useful utilization of the available spectrum. As Verizon densifies, 700mhz Band 13 LTE will eventually cover the legacy 1X network.

AnonDude
@97.95.147.x

AnonDude

Anon

said by Bigglesworth:

How moronic would they be to get rid of 3G when its a massive part of their infrastructure where 4G doesn't reach? What would be the point of that exactly?

4G reaches 98% of Verizon 3G footprint. Verizon is currently only converting SOME of it's PCS spectrum to 4G. 80% of all data over Verizon's network is 4G. So no need for 40 MHz dedicated to 3G. Verizon only has 60 MHz for 4G right at the moment.
said by mikeluscher159:

Its 5 years away, we're only spotting testing. Its also for more efficient and useful utilization of the available spectrum. As Verizon densifies, 700mhz Band 13 LTE will eventually cover the legacy 1X network.

1x is not 3G. 3G uses the PCS spectrum( 1900 MHz ) 1x is cellular and that uses 850 MHz on Verizon. That's not being converted for years.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to Jack in VA

to Jack in VA
In my area, the immediate month after they activated LTE here my 3g service went to hell in a handbasket.... I have sense swapped to att and had no regrets in my area

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Same thing happened here in Central Va. once LTE was fully activated to roughly 90-93% of the area, 3G went to sh*t.

I was warned by a friend who is owner of a company which is a Verizon contractor, and services all their towers in the state, that this would happen. (go figure)

AnonDude
@charter.com

AnonDude to decifal7

Anon

to decifal7
said by decifal7:

In my area, the immediate month after they activated LTE here my 3g service went to hell in a handbasket.... I have sense swapped to att and had no regrets in my area

Yeah and? 3G is going away. 84% of all data on Verizon's network is over LTE. That leaves 16% at best going over 3G and that number shrinks by the month. Why would you need 3G anyway? Oh you do realzie at&t is kiling off it's 3G also. So enjoy
decifal7
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to Robotics

to Robotics
said by Robotics:

Same thing happened here in Central Va. once LTE was fully activated to roughly 90-93% of the area, 3G went to sh*t.

I was warned by a friend who is owner of a company which is a Verizon contractor, and services all their towers in the state, that this would happen. (go figure)

I guess they figured i'd run straight to the store and signup for another two years and get a lte phone... I bet they screw up regular quality voice when the HD voice goes mainstream just to get people to dump their unlimited contracts
mikeluscher159

mikeluscher159

Stop spreading your ignorance, that's not how any of this work's.
decifal7
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

said by mikeluscher159:

Stop spreading your ignorance, that's not how any of this work's.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck.. Its a freakin duck.

Seriously, their 3g service went to crap when lte came in the area. Bad dialup was more usable than it. And don't try to tell me that they have no initiative to do such practices. Proofs in the pudding and they would not do anything about it either. Their reply was that everything looks peachy from here (corporate office_01) and the conversation was done. I tried like hell to get them to look into it to no avail.. Their only suggestion was to "purchase" a microcell or buy a new LTE phone...

Call it what you want, but ignorance? F no

AnonDude
@charter.com

AnonDude to decifal7

Anon

to decifal7
said by decifal7:

I guess they figured i'd run straight to the store and signup for another two years and get a lte phone... I bet they screw up regular quality voice when the HD voice goes mainstream just to get people to dump their unlimited contracts

HD voice has been mainstream since September. If you hate Verizon go to another carrier. Unlimited data is a small % of their customer base. And Verizon could end it TODAY and there's nothing you can do about it. Oh and no such thing as unlimited contracts. Last contract for unlimited data would have ended over 6 months ago.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

Verizon .. $60 for unlimited voice and text plus 2GB data ...ok for me
brad152
Chicago, IL

brad152 to AnonDude

to AnonDude
My thing is, even with the Unlimited Data Plan, i still have access to HD Voice.. so that assumption makes no sense either.
decifal7
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to AnonDude

to AnonDude
Give it a while, someone will get clever..

Btw, I did switch carriers to att. Though I hate their landline division or there lack of. Their wireless is pretty damn awesome. At least in my area
brad152
Chicago, IL

brad152

said by decifal7:

Give it a while, someone will get clever..

Btw, I did switch carriers to att. Though I hate their landline division or there lack of. Their wireless is pretty damn awesome. At least in my area

I picked up an AT&T SIM card the other day just to test it on the 30GB plan, and i can say in Phoenix i'm very impressed. It's like night and day from what i experienced on AT&T a few years ago.

It's pretty much full LTE everywhere and even with their HSPA being only 1900MHz, the voice coverage has been excellent pretty much everywhere even where Verizon has chosen to only do minimal 1x (and they have both 850MHz license here)
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to AnonDude

Premium Member

to AnonDude
said by AnonDude :

Oh and no such thing as unlimited contracts. Last contract for unlimited data would have ended over 6 months ago.

Really? Cause I just renewed a contract w/Unlimited data.

And HD voice has been mainstream since September? On what? 2 devices?
decifal7
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to brad152

to brad152
said by brad152:

I picked up an AT&T SIM card the other day just to test it on the 30GB plan, and i can say in Phoenix i'm very impressed. It's like night and day from what i experienced on AT&T a few years ago.

It's pretty much full LTE everywhere and even with their HSPA being only 1900MHz, the voice coverage has been excellent pretty much everywhere even where Verizon has chosen to only do minimal 1x (and they have both 850MHz license here)

Its been pretty nice in the MIddle TN area, and even in the east TN zone as well. I'm pleased with it.. If they could just tweak that roll over data plan to let me use the rolled data first and when possible more data for the buck, i'd be a happy camper!