Search similar:

uniqs

surewest
@67.159.142.x

surewest

Anon

Spam

Just curious
I get a lot of alerts from companies thanking me for my order, which I have not done.
Costco, Home Depot, fed ex to name a few.
Does this suggest I should change my email password?
Or does this kind of stuff get through anyway.
Thanks

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion

MVM

I have been getting a few also.. possibly the holiday season?

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to surewest

Premium Member

to surewest
Delete email. Done.

Dont answer them, forward them, or follow links. They probably send out hundreds and get a few bites.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to surewest

MVM

to surewest
You should change your passwords regularly.
But that will have no effect on the incoming mail. Most of these are just blind spam, hoping one of the millions of addresses they send it to take the bait. Delete them. Don't try to unsubscribe, as that "option" in a spam message does nothing but verify your email address, making it more valuable to sell to other spammers.
drjenkins
join:2005-03-30
Bealeton, VA

drjenkins to surewest

to surewest
Just typical SPAM subject lines. Some lines work better than others, I'm sure. Which subject would you be more tempted to open?

"Lonely Russian Girls Want To meet You!!!"

or

"Invoice for your approved credit card purchase"

I think the Invoice message is less obvious, and if you haven't ordered anything may make you think you're an ID theft victim. You're not actually the victim until you open the attached "Invoice".

sweller
join:2009-04-25
Tucson, AZ

1 recommendation

sweller

said by drjenkins:

Which subject would you be more tempted to open?

"Invoice for your approved credit card purchase of Lonely Russian Girls Wanting To meet You!!!"

surewest
@67.159.142.x

surewest to pcdebb

Anon

to pcdebb
I don't answer them.

surewesr
@67.159.142.x

surewesr to Camelot One

Anon

to Camelot One
Ok, thanks.

surewest
@67.159.142.x

surewest to drjenkins

Anon

to drjenkins
Thanks

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA

SYNACK to surewest

Mod

to surewest
This has been the subject of several recent news stories and is a new twist used by spammers. Just ignore.

Do a google search and you'll find many recent articles, such as this avast blog.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to surewest

Premium Member

to surewest
Back when computers were a hobby, I helped shut down several spam operations. I don't think it's practical to try to do this any more. There are spam-friendly hosts now who can be paid off to ignore abuse complaints. There's enough collateral damage from blocklists these days that fewer and fewer ISPs and/or hosts use them [which is a shame].

The best way to deal with these now is to delete them. If you have a decent mail client, you can set up filters for the most frequently used subjects or senders. If you manage your own domain, you can use a blocklist or make your own [in which case I don't envy you].

surewest
@67.159.142.x

surewest to SYNACK

Anon

to SYNACK
Okay, thanks.
surewest

surewest to DrStrange

Anon

to DrStrange
I appreciate all your email responses. I don't need any more. I just ignore them.
Thanks again!!!
surewest

surewest to DrStrange

Anon

to DrStrange
Oops, hit send as I was re reading my post.
I'm not ignoring your posts...LOL! I'm ignoring the email spam.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to surewest

Premium Member

to surewest
No problem.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to surewest

MVM

to surewest
I have changed my email passwords in response to reported password compromises (notably Yahoo! breaches), but not for spam.

I have received a "Costco" spam recently. Run-of-the-mill "phish" Scammer hoping I will give up information about myself without checking the validity of the email sources.

The funniest ones are the "E-ZPass" toll-skipping notices. I have not driven in an E-ZPass state since before that payment system was implemented. I actually live in a "FasTrak" state.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

said by NormanS:

The funniest ones are the "E-ZPass" toll-skipping notices.

I have yet to see one that didn't read like it was written by a 5 year old. I know a lot of these spammers are over-seas, but you would think they would at least put forth the effort to use proper English when trying to steal money.

surewest
@67.159.142.x

surewest to NormanS

Anon

to NormanS
Yep, got those too!
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax to surewest

to surewest
The E-Z pass spam is the funniest, at least for me.

Being that I don't own a vehicle nor do I have a license their spam/scam attempt is futile. Not that I'd fall for any kind of spam or scams anyway. I'm very savvy so I'm usually the one educating family and friends on **** like that.

Kibbles
Premium Member
join:1999-07-31
Mission Viejo, CA

Kibbles to surewest

Premium Member

to surewest
Lately I have been getting a lot of "Online Walmart..thank you for you order" which in the e-mail states the order can be picked up at any Walmart

"Online shop Walmart received an order, whose recipient is you. The order can be picked in any local store of our network.

Please, keep in mind, that you have only 4 days to reserve your order.

Detailed order information can be found here.

Walmart"

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to surewest

Premium Member

to surewest
They're probably hoping someone will follow the link in the e-mail to a fake website and enter their login info for the real site. Phishing.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to surewest

Premium Member

to surewest
Those are like the fake shipping notifications, and are either phishing attempts or lead to malware installs. I get a lot of them in my Yahoo spam folder.