spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MikeInMass
join:2014-12-04
Bedford, MA

MikeInMass

[Networking] Coax through house, want ethernet near ONT in basement

I've read the FAQ, but am not sure whether I have the best configuration for my needs.

I just moved into a house with FiOS. The ONT is in the basement. Its output is on coax, which runs into a splitter. There are a few coax outlets throughout the house. The Actiontec works if connected to any of them.

I'd like internet through the whole house including the basement-- one or two devices in the basement would be fine. But the wireless from the Actiontec doesn't reach the basement. I'm not able to pull Ethernet cable between floors.

Suppose I connect the Actiontec to one splitter output in the basement and disable its wireless. Then, get a MoCA bridge like the ECB2500CK01 and connect it to a coax outlet upstairs. A LAN port of a wireless router/access point would be connected to the ethernet port of the MoCA bridge. The Actiontec would be the DHCP server for the wireless clients.

Would this configuration work? Is there a better one?

Thanks!

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

Why disable the Wifi on the Actiontech? just give it and the 2nd router the same SSID but on different channels 1.6. or 11 double your coverage for the basement.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to MikeInMass

MVM,

to MikeInMass
You can get a wireless network extender directly from Verizon if you want to keep things simple:
»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· hure.pdf
»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· ShowCart - 3rd item on the list

Can leave your router where it is now and then plug that into a coax jack in the basement. Will give you wireless and ethernet.
MikeInMass
Bedford, MA

MikeInMass

Hey neat, I didn't know about that device! For the same $75, though, I could get the latest MI424WR (mine is an old rev C).

Would it work to just use the old MI424WR in the basement and a new one upstairs?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

It's not as plug and play, but yes. That's definitely possible. There are instructions for setting up an Actiontec has a access point / MoCA bridge here:

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to MikeInMass

to MikeInMass
Mike,
You can also get a "free" upgraded router for about $6 shipping from that same Verizon store, it will be a Rev. E, F, or possibly an I. Even if you buy the Rev I, you could use that one as another MoCA bridge. One more option, but pricey is the brand new G1100 router which is fairly up to date, has dual band AC wireless and MoCA 2.0. This is Fios newest and most advanced gateway, but it costs $150 to buy or about $6 to rent.
MikeInMass
Bedford, MA

MikeInMass

Thanks, PoloDude, Thinkdiff, and fcfc2!
swope1221
join:2008-08-26
Newtown, PA

swope1221 to MikeInMass

to MikeInMass
Mike, let me give the Verizon Fios branded network extenders a definite plug. I have 4 in my house due to the construction material used in the house and layout. Not only do I have easy coverage (it literally is plug and play as described), but it also give you a 5G network, which plays nice with all our I-devices
druber
join:2000-04-11
Stow, MA

druber to MikeInMass

to MikeInMass
Yes, same SSID works fine. It should be virtually seamless. I have 3 APs in my house...