uniqs
hogtownhog
join:2013-08-23
Toronto, ON

hogtownhog

Rogers modem issues

Hi all,

My landlord provides me with internet through one of these:

On a weekly, sometimes daily, basis I get kicked off the wifi network (it acts like as if the IP lease expires - I stay connected, but I can't browse internet and if I disconnect from the network it won't let me back on). This is the third modem we have had in as many years and they have all been replaced due to the same issue. It seems to get worse over time.

My question is, are there any workarounds out there? Could I solve the problem with a third party router? I'm sure I'm not the only one in this sorry state...
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

The WiFi is most Rogers supplied gateways except for the newer CGN3 is terrible. If you have physical access to the gateway you can connect your own router as an access point without tinkering with any of the settings of the Rogers/landlord supplied equipment. If your landlord gives you full control of the equipment you can put it into bridge mode which essentially turns it into a standalone modem and you can hook up your own router to take care of both the wireless connectivity and the routing.

RogersHelps
join:2014-01-27
Canada

RogersHelps to hogtownhog

to hogtownhog
In addition to that, not sure if you have done this as of yet but you can also try changing the wi fi channel on it to see if that helps.

Thanks
RogersRavi

Breadwinka
join:2008-06-08
Kitchener, ON

Breadwinka to hogtownhog

to hogtownhog
Probably doesn't help this modem is ancient, docsis 2 modem. I would try to convince him to upgrade it or just bridge mode it with a newer router if possible.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to hogtownhog

to hogtownhog
What everyone above says.
And I'll add, That's wireless G. A Docsis 2 wireless G at that.

We've sort of moved onto Wireless N, and Docsis 3.
Actually we are moving onto Wireless AC...

You could ask the landlord to stop living in 2002 and upgrade to today's technology. That modem can not provide speeds better than 36/1 and it's doubtful it's provisioned for the max, so you are probably on 18/1.
(Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, I can't remember the D2 max bandwidth or D2 packages).

Odds are pretty good, if there is more than 1 person on that router, doing more than browsing and emailing, you're hitting max download and upload capabilities of that box. When you max it out, you slow everyone down. Or everyone slows you down.

A better modem and upgraded package would help, an aftermarket router might help.

All 3 will definitely help.
Probably be cheaper for the landlord in the long run.

RogersHelps
join:2014-01-27
Canada

1 edit

RogersHelps to hogtownhog

to hogtownhog
Here are the steps if needed.

Directly connect an Ethernet cable from the modem to the computer.
Open a web browser and enter the following address to access the gateway login page: 192.168.0.1.
Login with:
Username: cusadmin
Password: password

Once you are in the wi-fi section you see the option to change the channel.

Thanks
RogersRavi
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink to cepnot4me

Premium Member

to cepnot4me
"Actually we are moving onto Wireless AC..." Is that a hint at a future combo modem / router?

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by Datalink:

"Actually we are moving onto Wireless AC..." Is that a hint at a future combo modem / router?

»www.hitron-americas.com/ ··· heet.pdf

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by SimplePanda:

said by Datalink:

»www.hitron-americas.com/ ··· heet.pdf

Pretty sad that it's only 2x2 on the AC side...
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to Datalink

to Datalink
Lol. I wish. Nothing I know of internally. Just been paying attention to the wifi industry lately.
I'd say a modem/router combo running AC is probably 5 years away, took Rogers awhile to jump to N.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by cepnot4me:

Lol. I wish. Nothing I know of internally. Just been paying attention to the wifi industry lately.
I'd say a modem/router combo running AC is probably 5 years away, took Rogers awhile to jump to N.

D3GN was 802.11n some time ago.
Took them a while to embrace dual band I guess.

Breadwinka
join:2008-06-08
Kitchener, ON

Breadwinka to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
I think it maybe sooner since bell has one now the bell home hub 2000 dual band with AC

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to cepnot4me

Premium Member

to cepnot4me
said by cepnot4me:

5 years? Come on..