Norb
join:2001-03-25
Lost

Norb

Sorry, double post
Norb

Norb to Racerbob

to Racerbob
Thank you, This is about the only browser I can stand to use, it's also my e-mail program.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 recommendation

Davesnothere to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob

Thanks, Bob.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

PORTABLE edition should soon be up, HERE :

»sourceforge.net/projects ··· ortable/

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to Racerbob

to Racerbob
make a backup of your profile to be safe

Some potential bugs to be aware of, »forums.mozillazine.org/v ··· 13913267.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Thanks for the heads-up - I may wait a bit to apply this.

BTW, the OP of that thread stated that Flashblock became broken as of the SeaMonkey 2.31 release.

I just checked and Flashblock did not work with SM 2.30 either.

And, the patched editions which DO work with FF 34.0.5 are rejected by SM 2.30 too, so what did the OP mean by their comment about Flashblock ?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to therube

Premium Member

to therube
Hmm...don't want any of those bugs...don't want to lose my bookmarks even if I back them up first.

As for Chase I usually use Pale Moon there and simply endure the snide Chase warning that I am using an "outdated, unsupported" browser. Last night, I had to call Chase because I tried to make a credit card payment (Chase is the only banking I still do on a computer and signing up for Discover quarterly 5% cash back but I don't do anything else at Discover-no other way to sign up) and tried to print the page with the confirmation number and instead, at first, the printer wouldn't respond at all and then it printed the previous page showing I had not yet made the payment! Then Chase website proceeded to take NINE MINUTES to fully load the page that printed and never could load the page with the confirmation number on it. (I wasn't having any problems with slow loading web pages except for Chase). Chase never logged me out either during that nine minutes it took to fully load.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

PORTABLE Edition is up now

Test without the risks.

»sourceforge.net/projects ··· ortable/

Sportsfan
join:2012-03-26

Sportsfan to therube

to therube

Re: [Seamonkey] Seamonkey 2.31 Final is out

I'm glad I backed up, because SM 2.31 portable obliterated my (portable) profile when I upgraded in place. A clean install worked fine, however.

therube
Randallstown, MD

therube

> obliterated

In what way?

Sportsfan
join:2012-03-26

Sportsfan

After disabling one non-compatible plugin (Fire Shot), SM went into an endless loop of crashing and failing to restart. Rather than spending a lot of time trying to diagnose it, I deleted the entire portable SM folder, made a fresh installation, then copied the important parts of my saved profile (extension folder, places, profile.js, etc.). SM 2.31 then opened normally and worked with no problems, although some custom toolbar settings had reverted to default.

bmetelsky
Premium Member
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH

bmetelsky to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob
I just downloaded and tried seamonkey, mostly because of the integrated email. Everything looks so 1990ish and there really aren't too many good looking themes.
Uninstalled almost as quickly. Back to FF and TB.

therube
Randallstown, MD

therube to Sportsfan

to Sportsfan
> SM went into an endless loop of crashing and failing to restart.

There is a bug, crash, that happens to some, on the first open of 2.31.
This is compounded if you have a Master Password set (in that you get repeated crashes, like you've described).

No one has confirmed, but if you were to create a file named "xulstore.json" in your Profile Folder, you should then be able to start. (Contents of the file, even if empty is fine.) One other person had a repeated crash, but said they weren't using a Master Password.

> looks so 1990ish

Beauty is...

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob

Premium Member

Question, does Seamonkey have a bookmarks side panel like Firefox has ? If so, how does one enable it to be seen and docked.

Norb
join:2001-03-25
Lost

1 edit

Norb to therube

to therube
Click for full size
The Monkey
1990ish maybe, here's a screen shot of my Seamonkey, I thought it looked rather 2000ish.
This is installed on Debian with the Xfce desktop.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob
said by Racerbob:

Question, does Seamonkey have a bookmarks side panel like Firefox has ?

If so, how does one enable it to be seen and docked.

I don't use the sidebar myself, of any of my browsers, but I checked, and it's hidden in the 'View' menu, or hit F9 to toggle it on and off.

There does not seem to be an equivalent button, but since the function is already there, I'm sure an Extension could be written to add one, if not already written.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob

Premium Member

Thanks Dave. I use the side panel for my bookmarks because it gives me quickest access to them. They are all organized into categorized folders. Some 1800 or so.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

For ages, in all of my browsers, I have created a row of drop-down folders on my Bookmarks Toolbar, for pretty much the same purpose.

You can even access nested folders using that method