uniqs

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

Getting a Freezer Should I go Chest or Upright?

So I finally got rid of my second refrigerator when I did my laundry room, and now I want to get a Freezer.

I'm thinking chest, because I'm under the impression that they use less electricity and have more space, but my wife likes the upright because it's has easier access and she's less likely to forget about stuff and end up with freezer burnt crap.

Seeing as I have small, ever hungry beasts to feed, I'm going to be using it to store bulk bread, snacks, and bulk meat purchases from the butcher.

Thoughts?

EQ

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

I have an upright, so I can't speak to a chest freezer. I invested in a vacuum sealer eons ago (I think it was an impulse purchase at Costco one day) and haven't had to ever chuck something out because of freezer burn.

I have no affiliation with this company, and there may be better options, but for supplies:

»www.vacsealers.com/

They're in BC, but if I remember correctly they drop ship out of the states somewhere. However, I had excellent service when they made a delivery error (used my old shipping address instead of picking up the new one from the order) they sent me extra bags at no cost as the original shipment was returned and had to be resent.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

I never thought of that, my butcher usually vacuum seals stuff that I'm planning on keeping long term, the next logical step would be to get one of my own.

EQ

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

Maxx2006 to El Quintron

to El Quintron
We have had both types and now have a chest. The thing i miss most about the upright is not having to dig to the bottom for some item.

As which is more efficient well hard to say they could be close. I would consider a upright again as they do take up less room

Mike

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Maxx2006:

I would consider a upright again as they do take up less room

That's definitely a point for the upright... I can put cupboards on top the chest too. Space is important because I'm losing some space from having put walls in a previously unfinished room.

EQ

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
I would imagine that a chest freezer is more efficient as the cold air will remain in the freezer rather than rushing out when opened like with an upright.

Now having said that, I've always liked uprights better, but not enough to pay the premium.

LD_in_ON
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23
WallyWorld

LD_in_ON to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
Have had 3 freezers over the years.

The first was a chest freezer. As others have said, you may tend the forget about stuff buried deep on the bottom. Also the wife is short and hated bending over an digging for stuff. ( seems that whatever you were looking for was at the bottom)

The next was an upright withe fixed shelves. The cooling coils were in the shelved and not adjustable. It was O.K. but larger items didn't always fit between them. It was easier to find things.

We now have a new upright with adjustable shelves and baskets. I've got to say that this has been the best in terms of adjustable storage features, even in the door. Very similar to a regular fridge.

The only negative is that the new freezers these days (as in most appliances) appear a bit more cheaply made. i.e. plastic shelves compared to wire.

All of them were/are Kenmore.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to El Quintron

to El Quintron
Upright.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

+1

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

1 recommendation

Mashiki to El Quintron

to El Quintron
Uprights are nice, especially if you need easier access. But you can't beat a chest freezer when there's a power outage in the middle of the summer to keep things cold, or storage for oversized items especially if you/friends/family hunt and they drop full flanks on you. Best thing to do if you get a chest one is to get in the habit of empty left, fill right then swap.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to El Quintron

to El Quintron
I run a medium size chest with shelves that is in an unheated shed. I sometimes unplug it for a couple months during the summer depending on what I've got stored in and if I've used it up by June or July. The shed is ventilated and in the shade anyways so I could run it all summer if I wanted.

Now before one of you is going to get on the lecture circuit about the effect of the cold on the compressor I am going on 6 years now and the compressor barely runs in the winter compared to your freezer in the house.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
we have an upright and much prefer it over the previous chest freezers we've had in the past...assess to items is much easier than with a chest freezer...also, when you close the door on ours, you can hear it suck the air out, and the door pulls itself in a bit...not a total vacuum or anything, but there must be some sort of negative air pressure system, possibly to extract moisture (not really sure what it's for).

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
THis is a most pertinent thread as I have been doing the same research for the past 3 weeks. I read about how chests are more efficient and then I look at our real old one that is totally disorganized and things are buried. Then I go to Costco and see the large one they have there that would fit the large amount of stuff baked for xmas etc........ and easy to access. So for us it looks like upright and larger rather than smaller or at least adjustable shelving.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Mashiki

Premium Member

to Mashiki
I have a Natural Gas Generator, so power outages are usually a non issue, but that's a good comment for others who don't have backup electricity.
El Quintron

El Quintron to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
said by Anav:

at least adjustable shelving.

My upstairs fridge (the one that I'm keeping) has one of those veritical freezers with non-adjustable shelving, it's a complete waste of space.

Make absolutely sure you get adjustable shelving.

EQ

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
I use a chest in my basement:

- minimal power in my basement since it's cold down there naturally
- food is easier to toss through
- cool air stays in 'better' with a floor standing
- manual defrost (which can be a negative too)
- the unit would theoretically keep food frozen for days if I lost power during zombie apocalypse (wouldn't run generator, zombies would hear it)

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

wouldn't run generator, zombies would hear it

If we're talking about mine, the zombies definitely would. That thing sounds like one of those old NOMA snowblowers when it's running.

EQ

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
We have a small upright a bit bigger than a bar fridge here and a small chest at the cottage. The upright is easier to find stuff and the chest will keep for a couple days in a power failure but if I'm there I run a generator. We only use it starting in mid summer when we are there for longer periods. If I was to buy another I would buy upright.

One thing we started for both places is an inventory list to help keep track what's on hand of the various meats and quantities. Then you don't forget stuff in the bottom of the pile. And we write dates and contents on each package.

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to El Quintron

to El Quintron
We have one of each. The chest freezer we use for storing meats and raw ingredients. Once we've made food, we use the chest freezer to store it, as it's more convenient for accessing.
We tend to buy a ton of meats and stuff, and then make a dozen or so meals at once, and freeze. Things like lasagna, soups, stews, crockpot meals, etc..

The chest will certainly hold more and if you open it often will also use less power than a standup that is opened the same amount.