spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Precious1
join:2014-12-06
Jackson, MO

Precious1

I'm new, what browser do you find best?

I am indecisive on what browser is best and safest. Also, what email program do you feel is safest and best?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 recommendation

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I am partial to Google Chrome with the addition of Ghostery to block tracking. I use IE when needed by some websites. Opera and Firefox are installed and updated but not often used.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

1 recommendation

rfhar to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
I Am not sure that any browser can be called the safest. Firefox and Chrome have some add-ons that can be very helpful. Look for NoScript, Ghostery, WOT, Ad Block Plus for help safety wise. Ad Muncher, a separate program, just went free a few weeks back and seems very nice too.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

Link Logger to Precious1

MVM

to Precious1
What browser you use doesn't matter near as much as what you do with it, follow safe hex practices.

As for me I use IE most of the time.

Blake
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

1 edit

2 recommendations

redwolfe_98 to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
in my opinion, the "firefox" browser is the only browser that is fit to be used and that is only because of the "noscript" addon which makes it secure against "driveby" malware-infections..

as for an email program, if your email is web-based (like AOL, MSN, yahoo, gmail, roadrunner), you don't need an email program.. you just use your browser to access your email.. you have the option of using an email program but, in 99% of cases, it is not needed..

bmetelsky
Premium Member
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH

1 recommendation

bmetelsky to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
I've been using Firefox for browsing and Thunderbird for email for many years now. I don't use a ton of add-on's for Firefox, only Ad-Block Plus. I could do web-based email, but would rather handle my emails with a desktop program that allows me to have more control over message archiving, etc.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
You don't have to use just one.

In fact, for gaming, playing videos, accessing some bank sites, different browsers have different characteristics.

My family uses 4 browsers:

Pale Moon (a Firefox derivative which is becoming more independent)
Google Chrome
Microsoft Internet Explorer
QupZilla

For me, Pale Moon is best for general use, but some businesses I deal with insist on Internet Explorer. Some games work better on Chrome or on QupZilla.

QupZilla is good for many games in fact, but I never use it for purchases or other transactions because it's not as secure overall (they have ignored the Poodle SSL problem for example).
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
said by Precious1:

I am indecisive on what browser is best and safest. Also, what email program do you feel is safest and best?

BTW you can combine the two of those (browser and email) with SeaMonkey.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to Precious1

to Precious1
For several years, browser choice has been more of a personal preference than anything else. So pick one that makes you feel comfortable and stick with it. For the desktop, however, the technically superior and advanced browsers are Chrome and Firefox, by far, and I wouldn't recommend using any other.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
I've used them all going back to Netscape.........I finally dumped Firefox last year because it was getting bloated.

I now use Palemoon and SrWare Iron.........both are very configurable and give the the best of Firefox and Chrome without all the crap that comes with those 2.

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06
EU

1 edit

1 recommendation

Buddel to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
There is neither a "best browser" nor a "best email program". There are plenty of programs to chose from. Just give them a try and decide for yourself what's your favorite.

I'm currently using Firefox (browser) and Windows Live Mail (email client). Do I like these programs? No, I don't but they come pretty close to what I regard as "decent programs". Anyway, it's always up to the user to decide what programs are good and what programs are bad. As has been mentioned above, there are plenty of programs to choose from, so give them a go and decide for yourself.

Please tell us what browser and email program you consider "best". Thanks in advance.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
I fully agree with Buddel See Profile What works best for you in the places that you surf the most is a question you should ask yourself. Of late Firefox has become a nuisance with the rapid releases and changes. It's maintenance heavy if you're willing and capable of looking after such a Browser but that's not to say it doesn't do it's job.

IE with tracking protection lists and per-site cookie management matches what Firefox does in most circumstances.

As for email programs - again, there are so many variables.
I'm liking Thunderbird as a software based email client. You would want to stay away from web based email.

scarney
Bbr Team Discovery - Bbr Team Rc5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-18
Madison, WI

2 edits

scarney to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
Browser: Firefox

Email: Postbox

I really like pale moon browser as well. forgot to mention that. ;p

skipon11
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA

skipon11 to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
I vote for Pale Moon and Thunderbird. Have nothing against others,that's just what I like.

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru to Precious1

to Precious1
I prefer Firefox, but have disliked the amount of memory it consumes. The sheer amount of useful addons makes it worth the any negatives I've run across. Which really aren't many.

Thunderbird is a pretty good email client, as well. Both from Mozilla, of course.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf to scarney

Premium Member

to scarney
Same here.:)

Postbox, that is.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
I haven't been truly satisfied with a browser since Opera died.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by sivran:

When was that, ie what don't you like about the current version?

sachinqe
join:2008-12-08
India

sachinqe to Precious1

to Precious1
In my opinion I prefer using Firefox because all the webpages are loaded in a very smooth manner. It also saves a lot of my internet data. Chrome is of course better but it consumes a lot of data and is really difficult in times when blocking flash etc. I have never used IE for last 2 yrs because its too slow and you cannot effectively control everything like how you do on Firefox using add ons.

As far as email client is concerned you really don't need one but if you still want then you can go for Thunderbird.

If you are really concerned about your security then I would suggest you to safely use the Internet avoid visiting illegal websites and completely stay away from downloading softwares which are not known to many.

In terms of security I feel all the reputed browsers like Firefox, Chrome and IE are safe as long as you update them to the latest version and as long as you know safe Internet habits and have good Antivirus software and firewall nothing can harm you

gzt7d8
Aliens live amongst us
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
Traverse City, MI

gzt7d8 to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
I was using IE11 on my Win 8 machine. It seemed to load faster and be more responsive in page loading. Then I found that Chrome had finally been released in a 64 bit version. I now find that Chrome has the edge over IE for the performance that I like.

The other thing about Chrome, is that it does add entries into the startup file for Win 8 which does load it into memory, so the first time you launch it from the desktop, it flies. I haven't seen that in Windows 7. I loaded the same version on a Win 7 box and the entries are not in the start up file, even though you can adjust the settings on the app to keep it in the background after you shut it down.

I think it all boils down to what are you looking for. For me it was speed of the load and surfing on the web. I suspect any browser is fairly safe on the web as long as you are mindful of what to look for at sites.

gs

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Covered in this thread: »[Need Info] So many browsers I don't even know where to start, do you?

Blinkera is not Opera. I've yet to find a browser that doesn't have some shortcoming compared to Opera. Firefox comes closest with the right extensions installed, but rendering problems on certain sites drove me off (Pixiv, for example). Currently I'm trying QupZilla.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

As I may have noted, my wife uses QupZilla.

But be careful, they are susceptible to the Poodle (SSL) problem, and the developer seems to say it's not an issue as far as he's concerned.

Also has done poorly for me in some other browser security tests.

Fine for games, but i won't use it for any commerce etc.

skj91
join:2007-10-19
West Sacramento, CA

skj91 to Precious1

to Precious1
Opera is always my go to browser with Google Chrome being my back-up for sites that don't agree with Opera so well or when I want to open a page with a completely blank cache and history. Could easily swap the first and second choices, though, and I don't think I'd lose any happiness in doing so.
skj91

1 edit

skj91 to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1

When was that, ie what don't you like about the current version?

Yeah, exactly... what are you talking about? Opera is alive and well www.opera.com. I couldn't be happier with it.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
Roadruunner (Time Warner Cable) is NOT web based. The webmail is HORRIBLE. Any sensible person will use Thunderbird or SeaMonkey to access mail.
Mele20

Mele20 to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Anything past 12.17 is NOT Opera. I'm sure you know that so why ask? Opera sold out and became an awful clone of the worst browser out there (other than Safari) which is Google's Chrome. SOME of us actually have privacy and don't want that stripped from us. People who hate privacy and who are ignorant of computers users are attracted to Chrome or its sidekick that used to be the greatest browser ever created (Opera up through 12.17).

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
I still use SeaMonkey web browsers because I always like the suite since Netscape days.

MeDuZa
join:2003-06-13
Austria

MeDuZa to skj91

to skj91
said by skj91:

what are you talking about? Opera is alive and well www.opera.com. I couldn't be happier with it.

The browser you are so happy about is basically Google Chrome without native H.264 support and without the built in Flash plugin.
It's wrapped into Opera's proprietary shell and labeled as Opera.

The Opera browser most of us are talking about died basically almost two years ago and can be found here: »ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
On my Windows machines, I've been using Google Chrome since it was released to us. It's been a great browser. Add to it AdBlock to eliminate ads. Add the IE extension, and there is no need to even have IE on your desktop or task bar. Before that, I was a strict FireFox user. IE is a virus and malware magnet. I only use if I absolutely have to.
On my Mac I use Safari. But I have Chrome and FireFox installed incase Safari acts up.

And many many others think on that same page. I work in IT for company that is in multiple counties across the state of PA. In the building I work in, we have about 200-250 people. We purchased new software which is web-based and the software provider said to only use IE. It was funny to hear everyone at that meeting leave out a low un-approving groan about it. Why? Cause everyone uses either firefox or chrome.

The real kick in the teeth??? ...it's recommended to use a version of IE lower than version 10. It's like, what?? Here we are in the 21st century and you can't even make your software run properly in the most recent version of something? Or you can't make it compatible with other more efficient/secure browsers???

I tell ya, upper management in some companies have no clue how to cater to the world nor how to stay current with things going on.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to Precious1

Premium Member

to Precious1
Chromium I find is an excellent browser. Chromium is what Google Chrome uses. Google just rebrands a lower stable version of Chromium and releases it as Google Chrome. I prefer the original which is Chromium. Chromium releases come out much much faster than Chrome too!
»chromium.woolyss.com/