Search similar:

uniqs

whardman
Wesley Hardman
join:2007-02-19
Cincinnati, OH

whardman

L2TP over IPv6

Does anyone have any experience using L2TP over IPv6? The VPN is setup and configured correctly, and I can connect just fine using HE.net (tunnel). However, if I try to connect using Verizon or TWC, I can't connect to the VPN. I believe its the ESP packets that are getting lost. Right now I have been disabling IPv6 (for the Verizon HotSpots) or using the IP address (which I will switch to an ipv4 only dns record). Originally when this started happening, I figured this was a Verizon issue, but apparently its not just Verizon.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE

MVM

May help to know the make/model of equipment you're using on both ends, and what
troubleshooting you've done so far, besides simply "believ(ing) ESP packets are
getting lost."

Whether it's IPv4 or IPv6, the basic tools at both ends should still apply: ping, traceroute,
and netstat.

I'd also confirm the particular carrier's support of IPv6, as I've heard anecdotally not all fully support IPv6

My 00000010bits

Regards

whardman
Wesley Hardman
Cincinnati, OH

whardman

said by HELLFIRE:

May help to know the make/model of equipment you're using on both ends

Server 2008 for the server and clients are Windows7/8.1
said by HELLFIRE:

what troubleshooting you've done so far, besides simply "believ(ing) ESP packets are getting lost."

I did a Wireshark packet capture and it was dropping packets. I'm pretty sure it was ESP packets that were being lost.

I can ping the server, and all other packets make it there just fine.
said by HELLFIRE:

I'd also confirm the particular carrier's support of IPv6, as I've heard anecdotally not all fully support IPv6

Why does this not surprise me.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 edit

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE to whardman

MVM

to whardman
K, thanks for the additional info/clarification.

I presume when you did the capture, you did it at BOTH the server and client end simultaneously,
and 1 side transmitted, but the other side did not recieve?

The fact that it works over Hurricane Electric -- which to my knowledge has pretty
full IPv6 support -- but not over VZ or TWC makes me lean towards lack of IPv6 SOMEthing
from the latter two carriers. Not sure if there's a ranking/report/etc of IPv6 support,
broken down by carrier -- the IPv6 forum MAY have something, but I'm not sure.

Not sure if anyone else has anything else to offer.

My 00000010bits

Regards

whardman
Wesley Hardman
Cincinnati, OH

whardman

said by HELLFIRE:

I presume when you did the capture, you did it at BOTH the server and client end simultaneously,
and 1 side transmitted, but the other side did not recieve?

Yes. I remember the client was sending, but the packets never made it to the server.

I'll make a post over there and see if anyone has any level of support info.
whardman

whardman

My post in the IPv6 forum morphed back into a discussion of the VPN which started here. The rest of the discussion will be over here: »[ipv6] ISP IPv6 level of support/implementation..