spc
Search similar:

uniqs

aqk
join:2006-07-17
Elgin, QC

aqk

XPLORNET - Give them a forum?

I recently tossed my Bell Mobility TurboHub in favour of a XPLORNET satellite system, and found the latter considerably less expensive- 50 Gb /month instead of Bell's measly 10 Gb.
My main reason for posting this is to ask if there should be a separate forum here for Xplornet.
Most rural folks I know have also gotten rid of their Bell or Rogers wifi internet connections, and gone to Xplornet.
Three or four years ago Xplornet had a bad rep, particularly with respect to satellite speed and connection. But since the launch of the 4G Viasat-1 and Jupiter satellites, their service has improved considerably.
Except for the 700ms ping of course (game-players, take note!), which will only be solved by quantum tunnelling.
I'm reasonably happy with the service- it sometimes slows down in extremely rainy weather, but beyond that, the speed is almost as good as Bell Mobility's wifi. And as I said, a LOT less expensive.
Is it worthwhile adding a Canadian sat service forum here? Or should we continue to be shunted to Hughes when posing a satellite question or comment?
aqk

aqk

After posting the above, I just came upon a "company forum" for Xplornet, which advised that if anyone wishes to "upgrade" the forum, say so.
Consider it done.
However, I noticed that there had been only 3 posts to it in the past year. Perhaps if the forum had more visibility, there might be more posts?

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to aqk

Premium Member

to aqk
»Xplornet
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

1 edit

jumpingryan to aqk

to aqk
said by aqk:

I recently tossed my Bell Mobility TurboHub in favour of a XPLORNET satellite system, and found the latter considerably less expensive- 50 Gb /month instead of Bell's measly 10 Gb.
My main reason for posting this is to ask if there should be a separate forum here for Xplornet.
Most rural folks I know have also gotten rid of their Bell or Rogers wifi internet connections, and gone to Xplornet.
Three or four years ago Xplornet had a bad rep, particularly with respect to satellite speed and connection. But since the launch of the 4G Viasat-1 and Jupiter satellites, their service has improved considerably.
Except for the 700ms ping of course (game-players, take note!), which will only be solved by quantum tunnelling.
I'm reasonably happy with the service- it sometimes slows down in extremely rainy weather, but beyond that, the speed is almost as good as Bell Mobility's wifi. And as I said, a LOT less expensive.
Is it worthwhile adding a Canadian sat service forum here? Or should we continue to be shunted to Hughes when posing a satellite question or comment?

I am a former customer, however I agree... There should be two sub forums to do with it... Wireless and satellite. I would love to keep tabs on their progression.

They are big enough now to justify their own forum.

I was with them from 2012 until 2013... One year.

I left them after one year and just got more SIM cards for my turbo hub was we run latency dependant connections to VPN.

The reliability also just wasn't there with satellite, and dropping connections isn't an option for VPN.

I recently reexamined getting them back, but they actually upped their prices, and lowered their caps... I was on a 5 Mbps business package with 100 gig bandwidth and $2.00 a gig overage for 99.00 as part of the ERON deal...

Now, their packages aren't even close to the same value... More expensive for less.

aqk
join:2006-07-17
Elgin, QC

aqk

I currently have the 5 mbs package, with a 50 Gb /month
It costs $80 / month Including all taxes.
It may seem expensive, but more reasonable than Bell Turbohub's 10 Gb/month.

Whothehell can live with only 10 Gb? During my three years with Bell, I frequently exceeded the 10Gb, by only a few Gig, (I monitored my monthly usage DAILY!) and each extra Gig cost me $15 - A couple of months my bill was $150 !
Now, I frequent go up to 20 or 30 Gb for that $80. With Bell Mobility this would have cost me an extra $150 to $300 per month!
I claim that no one- NO ONE can live on 10 Gb / month. Except perhaps old ladies who only have email and don't know how to DL an attachment.

The latency is a slight annoyance, but I have gotten used to it, and Xplornet's "5 mbs" is only slightly slower than Bell's "5 mbs".
I understand Xplornet will be using a newer higher-speed system on a new bird that is expected to be launched in a year or so.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to aqk

to aqk
We've been through this before many times. When there are enough posts about ISP X in this forum to warrant it, ISP X will get its own forum.

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

1 edit

humanfilth to aqk

to aqk
said by aqk:

I understand Xplornet will be using a newer higher-speed system on a new bird that is expected to be launched in a year or so.

That would be Hughes Echostar 19 »space.skyrocket.de/doc_s ··· er-2.htm and Viasat 2 »space.skyrocket.de/doc_s ··· at-2.htm .
Xplornet bought all capacity for Canada from Hughes and Viasat, with the specs being better than Echostar1517 and Viasat1(also bought all Canadian capacity), to provide for the close to full coverage of North America and Atlantic shipping lanes with the new satellites.

Xplornet users have more complaints and not many work arounds for how Xplornet does business. Better than in the past, but having more reliable/quicker technology helps. Leased satellite capacity, and then their wholly owned wireless system that is undergoing a multi-year full rebuild to LTE.

Xplornet hidden/dead forum here on DSLreports
»Xplornet

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I'm not a customer of theirs, but it's true that Xplornet is large enough and is a nation-wide ISP now, so why not upgrade them to a fully accessible DSLR forum (instead of that harder to find linked one), with a square, er, I mean a rectangle, on the Canadian ISPs front page here ?
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to aqk

Premium Member

to aqk
said by aqk:

After posting the above, I just came upon a "company forum" for Xplornet, which advised that if anyone wishes to "upgrade" the forum, say so.
Consider it done.
However, I noticed that there had been only 3 posts to it in the past year. Perhaps if the forum had more visibility, there might be more posts?

Chicken vs Egg....