Search similar:

uniqs
PF4DSL
join:2014-12-06
m3a

PF4DSL

[Internet] Rogers changed my plan when I moved

Hi guys

I just realized that these bums at rogers downgraded my speed when they moved me to a new address. I am still using a docsis 2.0 modem (Motorola SB5120) and I had al old plan 10Mbs download/2Mbs upload. They now moved me to 10Mbs download/0.512Mbs uplaod and the service is crap, my Yahoo Messenger disconnects a couple of times per day.

I called them and had a fight with everybody I could, ultimately a manager offered me to take a 1 year higher plan with their modem for free. After that year I am supposed to either pay rent for their modem.

Is there anything else that I can do to force these crooks to honour their contract? My modem supports 30+Mbs Upload/30Mbs downloand and I was happy with that plan. I don't see WTF I have to change anything just because they decided to break the contract. Theoretically they should have no problems with providing the origina level of services in the new conditions.

Acrimonius

Acrimonius

Sadly you've been 'Rogered'. Their TOS clearly states they can do whatever they want whenever they want and by using their services you've agreed to the terms they set out. Basically it's like it or leave it. Rogers don't care one way or the other.
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter to PF4DSL

to PF4DSL
Actually, I used to be on that plan as well and the actual speeds I was getting was what you are getting now - 10 down and .5 up. I somehow doubt you were getting 2 up unless it was provisioned incorrectly.

I too am well aware that the SB5120 is capable of much higher download speeds that what Rogers is willing to give you, but that is Rogers - the new motto is simply this - UPGRADE OR YOU GET SCREWED!

ThatIsWhy
@99.243.114.x

ThatIsWhy

Anon

That is why I left Rogers. Disgusted with their overcharging and their my way or the highway attitude.

Well, I took the highway. Now I have 30/5/unlimited for $20 month cheaper than my 18/1/60 plan. OTA because everything on cable sucks.

So freaking happy now
PF4DSL
m3a

PF4DSL

And your provider is?
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to Hooter

to Hooter
There is a 10mbps and 2mbps upload plan for DOCSIS 2.0 modems. It was all part of those hidden "higher upstream" tiers that weren't generally available. This was back in the day when ultimate was only 75/2.

The thing with Rogers cable (unlike Rogers wireless) is that virtually all grandfathered product codes remain in the system and can be re-added by pretty much anyone. Any rep should be able to add it back for you if that's what you really want.

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

metalhawk to PF4DSL

to PF4DSL
said by PF4DSL:

And your provider is?

According to his/her partial IP address, Rogers.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to PF4DSL

to PF4DSL
Actually, i believe under rogers TOS, Grandfathered plans are lost under any changes including moving. So you didn't get "Roger'd", you didn't read the TOS or ask before you moved.
PF4DSL
m3a

PF4DSL

So there is nothing that I can do other that to leave Rogers

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to PF4DSL

Mod

to PF4DSL
This is a function of Rogers systems ...

Your account is associated with your address first, then your name is associated with the address.

So, when you move you actually change accounts.

Thus, your old account is discontinued and your name is associated with a new account. This means that they have to set up a new account, and new accounts require new modems for the higher speeds.

It takes someone in significant authority to over-ride this system.

Breadwinka
join:2008-06-08
Kitchener, ON

2 edits

Breadwinka

said by sbrook:

Thus, your old account is discontinued and your name is associated with a new account. This means that they have to set up a new account, and new accounts require new modems for the higher speeds.

Yes and no, the account really only changes during a move if your moving to a complete new area like 230,231,232,233 if you say stay in the 230 are aka Toronto your account number doesn't change, anybody will be able to see the old address in the system see the plan code he was on and change it back on his new address, in the non promoted section, if he did move I would suggest contacting your Moves Concierge if you got one.
PF4DSL
m3a

PF4DSL

I moved two streets away, I moved from an apartment building to a house. The code plan is the same, they showed it to me in their system. . My guess is that over the years they changed the speeds for that plan. I have been with them for 12 years, too long I think, and I knew I had different things there

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to Breadwinka

Mod

to Breadwinka
What I meant is that your everything is tied to your address, not to you. Your billing account number, your name, your services, and of course, your phone number that they identify you with when you call!

That's what I meant by "account" ... not your billing account number. The "account" is essentially your service address. So a move means dragging your billing account number to a new service address.

This is why you have to create a separate service address for a second modem to you house.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

It takes someone in significant authority to over-ride this system.

Not necessarily true. When you initiate a transfer in the system, by default it populates the "product list" with everything you already have. The only time it will force you to change it, is if it is not available in the area you're moving to. For example if you have 250/20 and move to an area where 60/10 is only available it will force you to change it.

The grandfathered package that the OP has is available everywhere. So someone went in an changed something or the OP was eventually offered some sort of promo and the vast majority of the new promos are available only on the new packages.

Again the grandfathered codes remain in the system forever for cable (with a few small exceptions). The OP can get the old package back if he really wants it, but it will invalidate any promos they might have if they have any.

RogersHelps
join:2014-01-27
Canada

RogersHelps to PF4DSL

to PF4DSL
If the price plan code have not changed than everything should still be consistent, some price plans did encounter changes for download and upload speed. If you want we can review what other options are available for the speed difference. - RogersRavi