Search similar:

uniqs
WayTooSlow
join:2014-12-06
New Castle, VA

1 edit

WayTooSlow

Need help finding an ISP in my area.

Hello, I really need to switch to another ISP, but I can't find any in my area. I'm currently on a $45 a month 5Mbps ADSL connection from TDS, but I don't get anywhere near that. From 12a.m.-12p.m. I usually get 2-3Mbps, but during peak hours it drops to only 40-100KBps. Mid-Atlantic Broadband Cooperative has a fiber optic line a few hundred feet from my house, but Citizens COOP seems to be their only ISP in my area and they said nothing was available where I live. I can't get WiMAX either. If there aren't any other ISPs, then I might have to switch to a satellite connection with one of those ridiculous data caps. I live in New Castle, VA. Any help would be appreciated.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Welcome to BBR

Most states are participating federal mapping project. Check it out to see of there are any other providers serving your area.

»gismaps.vita.virginia.go ··· oadband/

Since you have DSL there may be a competitive local exchange Carrier (CLEC) that services your location. I've had good luck switching from the ILEC, FairPoint, to a local NH based CLEC.

/tom
WayTooSlow
New Castle, VA

WayTooSlow

I checked it out and Level 3 Communications is the only CLEC in the county and they don't cover the area that I live in. It only lists TDS and Verizon 4G/LTE for my address. TDS pretty much just does 1.5Mbps now for anybody that lives outside of town, there used to be 15Mbps plan available before they over subscribed the lines. Thanks for trying.
stenman
join:2007-03-07
Salinas, CA

stenman to WayTooSlow

to WayTooSlow
Depending on your data usage a 4G plan from Verizon or At&T will provide better speed though at a high rate per gigabyte.

$45 or 5Mbps is not terrible. I pay $390 a month for a 1.5Mbps T-1 line from AT&T as they refuse to even run DSLR in my community of more than 35,000 people in Monterey county in California. The speed is minimal but and 4G was twice as fast but it cost $180 for 40GB with Millenicom. With Verizon taking over Millenicom I knew that $180 rate was going to increase substantially so I paid $1000 to install a T-1 line service at my house.
WayTooSlow
New Castle, VA

WayTooSlow

The price wouldn't be bad if it wasn't so slow. I'm getting just under 40KBps right now, which is ridiculous. I've looked into the Verizon 4G plans and I like the speed, but the data caps kill the deal for me. I usually download 20-50GBs worth of files every month. Exede is the only satellite ISP that I could switch to since I need to download so much.