All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
SpokkerJones
join:2003-06-03
Orange, CA

SpokkerJones

Does anyone else have problems with Origin and EA services?

I'm on Time Warner Cable in Southern California. For the past month I've been unable to login into Origin on the PC, Origin on my laptop, or use any EA online services on the PS4 or Xbox One.

For example, Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare is able to connect on my T-Mobile data connection when tethered to the PS4, but not when I'm using my Time Warner connection.

All other web sites and gaming services, such as Steam and non-Electronic Arts games work.

It is not a port issue as the problem persists when I put my PS4 in DMZ mode. It's puzzling because no EA services, not even answers.ea.com work on my Time Warner connection (so I cannot even get support form EA), but works on my T-Mobile data connection.

A Time Warner network engineer says that it's doing its job, getting my connection out of TW's network.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

1 recommendation

etaadmin

Just a wild guess, maybe your IP address has been blocked. It happened to me when I was running TOR relays.

Try to get a new TW IP address and see if that solves the problem. Ways to get a new TWC IP.

1. If you use a router assign a different MAC address to the router and reboot cable modem and router.

2. If your console is directly connected to the cable modem change the MAC address in your console and reboot.

3. Try a different PC.

Maybe its worth the try.
SpokkerJones
Orange, CA

SpokkerJones

The Time Warner tier 2 tech did suggest that my IP may be blacklisted. I saw a thread on some random Internet search about a guy complaining about swaths of IP ranges being blacklisted from Origin/EA. Maybe I got dealt an IP that had been blacklisted before. I don't deal in TOR relays nor do I engage in any Internet funny business.

The interesting thing about this issue is that it happens on the PC, laptop, and the PS4. And in all three cases, if I tether the PC, laptop and the PS4 to my mobile data connection, all three successfully connect to Origin/EA servers. But when I connect via Time Warner, not even answers.ea.com works.

So it's hard for me to think of troubleshooting issues on my end other than to change my IP, something I have been unsuccessful at. I try to release the IP, leave the cable modem off for a few minutes, but I keep getting assigned the same IP address.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

The key is to change your MAC address and reboot your cable modem. If you have a separate router it's usually called "MAC spoofing" in the router settings.

This is harder to do if you have a cablemodem/router combo. There was a spot to set the mac address in my SBG6580 but I don't see a similar option in the Arris DG1670A. With the 1670A you could try it in bridge mode temporarily and get a new IP that way though, just to see if that's the issue or not.

Another thing to check is the DNS server settings. If I ping answers.ea.com I get:

ping answers.ea.com
PING ea.lithium.com (208.74.205.233)

The Answers.ea.com site works fine for me from Valencia.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to SpokkerJones

to SpokkerJones
said by SpokkerJones:

So it's hard for me to think of troubleshooting issues on my end other than to change my IP, something I have been unsuccessful at. I try to release the IP, leave the cable modem off for a few minutes, but I keep getting assigned the same IP address.

You'll have to leave your cable modem off longer than that (maybe day/s) to get the results you want. The fastest way is like djrobx said to 'spoof' your mac address and I've never done that with a cable modem/router combo.

Akamai is one the companies that likes to blacklist IPs if ea.com has dealings with them that may be the explanation. »forum.ea.com/eaforum/pos ··· 197.page

I posted this very same question about two years ago when I couldn't access kohls.com from my computers I got the answer when I tried to access hulu.com to watch a movie and the server refused the connection because my IP address was in akamai's black list.

As a test try kohls.com and if you have a hulu account try to stream a movie.
SpokkerJones
Orange, CA

SpokkerJones

Thanks for the ideas.

Leaving the modem off for days is a non-starter.

Not confortable with messing around with MAC addresses. Everything but Origin working is better than nothing working.

I can access Kohl's web site and stream Hulu.

I've tried my default DNS servers and alternatives like Google's public DNS.

I'm able to ping answers.ea.com. It's when I try to actually login to Origin/EA web services on PC, laptop and PS4 it just times out. The same exact devices work when connected to my mobile data connection.

Simpsons: Tapped Out, which requires an Origin account, works fine on my Time Warner connection. Go figure.
SpokkerJones

2 edits

SpokkerJones

So I connected the ps4 directly to the cable modem and this gave me a new IP address briefly. I was able to sign into psn for a moment but then that stopped working. I can however browse the internet usng the ps4's web browser.

Haha why does everything have to be so weird.

Then a message pops up that says pan is undergoing maintenance haha
Mystic95Z
join:2005-05-10
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z

PSN issues might be due to this:

»www.dailymail.co.uk/scie ··· uad.html
JMANTN
join:2014-08-07

JMANTN to SpokkerJones

to SpokkerJones
Did you ever solve this as this describes my issues to a T

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to SpokkerJones

Premium Member

to SpokkerJones
This thread is why blocking by IP address really doesn't work for long. It also hurts the next guy who ends up with it and doesn't stop folks from trolling or what ever they did to get banned by IP.

Anyways it could be a ping issue as well, when I had TWC random things would be blocked or return a 404 error. This was due to most packets not getting though due to a very bad copper line outside. (If you have seen the Verizon DSL lines, that would give a hint on what I am talking about.)

So run ping test on the connection to see if that is it. Steam was the main red flag for me, maybe origin is the red flag of a bigger issue with the connection.

I think it's likely because TWC connections use non-fixed IP address's you just ended up with one on the EA blacklist, but it doesn't hurt to check the line and ping test it.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by why60loss:

I think it's likely because TWC connections use non-fixed IP address's you just ended up with one on the EA blacklist,

Please let us know which provider uses "fixed" Ip addresses.

Thanks

Hob

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss

Premium Member

said by hobgoblin:

said by why60loss:

I think it's likely because TWC connections use non-fixed IP address's you just ended up with one on the EA blacklist,

Thanks

Hob

Should have made that more clear, most home connections are set up that way. It's not a TWC only thing, a business connection or in some cases a user willing to pay more on the home service can get a fixed IP address.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

said by why60loss:

Thanks

Hob

AT&T U-Verse. Has something to do with the way it works, you can't even change it yourself with router/mac address tricks. I guess in theory they can change it if they decide to no longer use the specific IP range of addresses you are in, but in the 4 years I had AT&T U-Verse, my IP was un-changable. I heard of people getting in special requests with support to have it changed, but you had to have a really good reason, not just "uh I got banned somewhere".

That said, it don't matter whether your IP address is fixed or that is changes once a week. It doesn't affect anything but running servers, and those you can run with a dynamic DNS that will automatically update a name.

I don't need a fixed IP. As a matter of fact, I like the option to change it on a whim by simply inputting a different mac address in my router. I haven't had a need to do so in the year I have had TWC, but I have messed with my router and grabbed a different IP, and then changed it back to get my old IP back.

I don't understand why people get so gung-ho about insisting on having a fixed IP and willing to pay extra for it, unless you have a business running an Exchange server or something and are hosting your own domain. And even then, most small businesses that would maybe still have a cable provider are going with hosted exchange because it is cheaper for 10 mailboxes, and no one hosts websites in-house anymore either, not with datacenters running 10 gig pipes from 7 providers these days.
JMANTN
join:2014-08-07

JMANTN

Solved:
Turns out due to the dynamic IP addresses Charter provides I must have been assigned an IP that was for whatever reason banned from one of EA's games so changing my Charter provided IP by changing the Mac address in my router then unplugging modem for 30 seconds and plugging back in (in that order) and restarting PS4 solved my issue.

See message #486
»answers.ea.com/ea/board/ ··· #M118935

Should be stickied in Battlelog as I spent four days on this and EA support on phone didnt have a clue.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to hobgoblin

MVM

to hobgoblin
I think BellSouth a while ago used to offer people Static IPs as a part of the device.

I am amazed that more providers do not do that. Why dynamically assign an IP to an "Always on" connection when Static would suffice? Maybe it's for those that turn their modems off at night, or to keep support costs down should someone call in saying they were put into the IP Penalty Box for something they did, or DoS attacks?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by Smith6612:

Why dynamically assign an IP to an "Always on" connection when Static would suffice? Maybe it's for those that turn their modems off at night, or to keep support costs down should someone call in saying they were put into the IP Penalty Box for something they did, or DoS attacks?

The support costs are small. The support costs configuring new routers/computers with statics would be lots more. The ability to move IP blocks around makes DHCP much easier.

Hob

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

And 2 days as I wrote the above, my IP address changed because.... well.... TWC said so.