poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-23
Midwest

poppster

Premium Member

pclinux os

Anyone have any opinions on PclinuxOS? I have a low powered windows 8 laptop and I'm thinking of slapping linux on it. I'm actually using the livecd to type this, and for the most part everything is running great, minus the ability to dim the screen or check the status of the battery.

Maybe there is another flavor of linux that would be better? I've had experience with linux, so I'm not too worried about other distros, but I do like the feel of this OS.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn

Premium Member

I think PCLinuxOS is an awesome distribution. If I was not a Slackware user I would be using PCLinuxOS on my computers. PCLinux is installed on my sons computer and installed on a low end computer at the office. I maintain both.

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-23
Midwest

1 recommendation

poppster

Premium Member

Thanks for the reply. I was suprised at how much worked while booting from the cd. It feels so much more fluid than Windows 8 that came installed on it.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

1 recommendation

chrisretusn

Premium Member

That is one of the things I like about PCLinuxOS. I used PCLinuxOS on an old Toshiba Satellite L30 laptop. Everything "worked out of the box".

For my sons install, I was upgrading from Ultimate Edition, which means a complete reinstall. Ultimate Edition is not very upgradeable as my son who thinks he knows better found out. He was trying to get Steam to work, what he failed to realize was it was the old graphics card, not software that was the problem. Anyway the latest Ultimate Edition uses MATE, the one installed uses KDE for the desktop environment. Sticking with KDE will make migration to a new OS easier.

My criteria was simple, should be KDE, Steam needs to be installable via the distributions software manager without additional steps. The graphics card needs to be supported out of the box or by installation of needed drivers via the software manger, again without additional steps.

My possible picks were, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint (KDE), PCLinuxOS (KDE) and of course Slackware. Ubuntu was in the mix because Steam recommends it. Ubuntu already had one strike against it not being KDE. It was ruled out because to install Steam via the software manager an Ubuntu One account is required to "buy" it. Next up Kubuntu. It failed because Steam is not listed in it's software manager. I can be made available, but additional steps are needed. Mint was next. Steam is available via it's software manager, but the needed graphics card drivers are not unless additional steps are taken to add them. Slackware I didn't bother testing, I know it will do the job, but it does not meet the criteria I set.

PCLinuxOS met all conditions. It's KDE, Steam is installable via it's software manager and the needed graphics card drivers are installed during the installation. That one of the things I like about PCLinuxOS.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

2 recommendations

orion940 to poppster

Premium Member

to poppster
My first distro that lasted any length of time was PCLinuxOS. My objective at the time was to get something that worked out of the box, give me a good first Linux experience, and not worrying about tinkering with it.

O.