uniqs

Davy49
join:2007-04-10
Brandon, MS

2 edits

Davy49

power tier speed

Hi All,
I too am on the 'Power' tier..I don't have any of my computer's plugged directly into the NVG589 gateway, so consequently.....when checking my download speed, I've NEVER seen 50 Mbps. Since I'm paying for it..I guess I need to plug my laptop into the gateway and see what result I get. I realize..that I'll never get the 50 Mbps using the wireless connection. It would be nice if I could though.
David
P.S. I just ran a speedtest from a server in Dallas, TX..here are the results:

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 8112.png

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

Re: power tier speed cut in half

The wireless antenna and/or 2.4GHz radio on the NVG589 are not very good. You need to roll your own access point if you want to achieve the throughput performance your service can deliver over wireless. Otherwise, you need to directly connect via a 100/1000 wired connection to the NVG589 or your own switch that is uplinked to the NVG589 via 100/1000.

Davy49
join:2007-04-10
Brandon, MS

Davy49

Dear rolande,
Thanks so much for your reply...I live in the 75165 (Waxahac..)area, back in june of this year when I had Uverse installed, the first tech. that came out to install didn't know what he was doing. He was @ our house for about 8 hour's and never did get it to work correctly. When he left he didn't even say goodbye..after that another tech. was sent out as well as at least two line technician's. Finally got the system up and running. I knew in my mind to get the gateway installed in a 'central' location of the house, so the wireless signal would hopefully be about the same throughout our house. In addition to the gateway, we also have two wireless tv receivers connected to the gateway via the box that plugs into the gateway. This house previously had DirectTV installed, so a new data cable had to be ran from the outside network interface box through the attic, to the family room in the central part of the house. I'm sure with all the connection's into the gateway, that affects the strength of the wireless signal somewhat. The computer I'm typing this message on is in a bedroom approx. 40 feet from the gateway, it wouldn't be practical for me to run a data cable from the gateway to this computer, so I guess I'll just have to deal with the situation as it is.
Thanks,
David

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

Davy49 See Profile, if you are looking for better wireless signal and throughput for a more consistent experience throughout your house, don't use the wireless functionality that is included in the NVG589. Go get your own higher quality wireless router that has real external directional antennas to hang off of the NVG589. Getting an access point that minimally supports 5GHz 802.11n can make a big difference. Getting one that supports 802.11ac can elevate your throughput and performance of any 802.11ac capable devices to rock star levels.

You are right about centrally locating the wireless access point in the highest location possible. This will get you the best possible coverage for a single access point. However, this doesn't cut it in my house, even with my own high powered Cisco access point. I have one particular area at the front of my house that gets a fairly weak signal. So, I have two access points. I've placed the additional access point to cover the area of my house that previously had weaker signal strength.
Expand your moderator at work