Search similar:

uniqs
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

Moving from DIR-655 to R7000 - One device not getting an IP

Hi,

I bought a Netgear R7000 to replace my trusty DIR-655. Everything went well except for one thing: One of my devices, an Acer H340 NAS, is not getting an IP address.

Here's what I tried:

- Turned it off and back on ("The IT Crowd" moment)
- Tried a different port on the router. I've tried 3 of the 4 ports on the router, no joy. All other devices moved to these ports work fine.
- Tried a different network cable
- I put the system disk in a spare PC to see if it was an OS issue. But nope, it showed up in the list of attached devices right away
- Turned off the router off an on
- Turned off the NAS and *unplugged* it for about half an hour, just in case it was somehow stuck
- I thought maybe the NIC had gone bad, so I plugged the DIR-655 back in - the NAS got its IP right away - so it's fine.

All lights are blinking "normally" (NIC and router)

First thing I did with the router was update to the newest firmware. The NAS is running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, though that doesn't seem to be related.

To me it looks like all devices are working fine independently, so I was wondering if anyone here had a suggestion as to what to try next? I'd rather not return the R7000 since it seems to be working fine. I expected to run into minor problems by changing routers, since the IPs assigned are all different, but this one is really baffling...

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit

mozerd

MVM

From your description I suspect that the NAS is assigned a static IP so to get it to work you need to change the IP Address to reflect the subnet that the R7000 is on and usually whose range is 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254

Since your NAS is running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials on the NAS You will need to go into the administrator account and check the Network settings and make the appropriate adjustments.

If you happen to know the IP Address that the NAS was using or assigned by the DLink in service you can change the default subnet on the R7000 to reflect the DLink subnet range -- DLink usually works with the 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254 range
MichelR
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

Thanks for your reply.

That was one of my first guesses, but when I put the NAS system disk in a spare PC, which does get its IP successfully from the Netgear, it works. Also the H340 is a headless server, so the only way to access anything when it's not available on the LAN is to put the HD in the PC and toy with it from there - but since it's working fine in there. Kind of a catch-22. Unless I'm missing something.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

You need to find the documentation for your NAS and find the instruction on how to change the IP Address assignment for the NAS. You NAS should be, by default, automatically configured to get its IP address from the Router, but apparently its not so now you have to make that change unless you do want a STATIC IP assignment for the NAS.

Perhaps in your case it would be much simpler if you reconfigured the IP range the R7000 is using to reflect the same as the DLink --- Although I would do it on the NAS.
MichelR
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

Your previous post made a light go on after I posted. The NAS is set up to use OpenVPN, and the "normal" (non-VPN) network connection was set to a static IP. I've now set it to obtain an IP address automatically, though somehow that doesn't seem to be enough. Maybe a reboot is required. I have to switch between the DIR-655 and the R7000 for every try, so that's taking a while.

Anyway, thanks - I keep forgetting about that OpenVPN setup and often end up diagnosing for nothing (though I'm not done yet in this particular case). I believe the reason it worked in the PC is that it has a different network adapter and it used its default settings to get its IP dynamically. That threw me off at first.
MichelR

MichelR to mozerd

to mozerd
Houston, we have lift off! Reboot was the key after fixing the connection settings. Thanks again! Now I can enjoy my new toy.