uniqs

DS256
Premium Member
join:2003-10-25
Markham, ON

DS256

Premium Member

Bell Outsourcing Throttling?

Call me paranoid, but I've seen some posting of late that suggest their IP traffic was being throttled. I've also had a similar experience trying to perform a first time backup to a cloud service.

So, it has been stated that Bell does not throttle on it's network. However given how quickly most traffic hops outside Canada, is it possible Bell has contracted their USA interconnect providers to throttle traffic? Bell would still be in compliance with it's statement that it does not throttle on their network but reap the same benefits.

Thoughts?
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

1 recommendation

HeadSpinning

What would be the point? So they can charge you for fewer gigabytes?

Bell ditched throttling because the equipment to continue doing it at higher speeds was WAY more expensive than simply upgrading their aggregation network.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra to DS256

to DS256
Let me put on my tinfoil hat here first.

No, Bell isn't throttling inside, or outside their network.

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle to DS256

to DS256
said by DS256:

Call me paranoid

As you wish: you're paranoid.

Most cloud backup services I've tried are unable to accept my measly 10 Mb/s upstream, so if you're on FTTH, it must be even more noticeable.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

said by squircle:

said by DS256:

Call me paranoid

As you wish: you're paranoid.

Most cloud backup services I've tried are unable to accept my measly 10 Mb/s upstream, so if you're on FTTH, it must be even more noticeable.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

There would be no benefit for Bell to throttle traffic, they do after all charge by the GB. What most people refer to as throttling is basic far-end and past-end congestion. In the evening how many peole are connected to your wifi all trying to watch Netflix on your 15mbps connection? Must be Bell throttling! On weekends at the slightest hint of a page loading slower than usual, where does everyone jump? Speedtest.net. only 9mbps on my 15mbps package? THROTTLE!

*changes ping server* 15mbps.

There are then also line issues that may creep up in the evening, grounding problems, for example. That may display themselves as congestion or slow speeds. But Bell most certainly does not throttle.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

The problem is, it seems like anyone who doesn't understand the network instantly thinks throttling as soon as there's any sort of performance issue.

Bell has absolutely no reason to throttle upstream either - there are no upstream congestion issues in the DSL aggregation network,

There are so many other more likely causes of individual performance issues than throttling...

rewket
Premium Member
join:2003-08-21
Longueuil, QC

rewket

Premium Member

i can see why a lot would think that. I recently started using a local torrent site and i have never seen so many instance where it seems like im getting throttled. Download keep going to 0k/s for 2-3mins out of the blue. Never happened on anything that wasnt all local connections.

Non-local sites are always top speed from the start
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

BitTorrent has 100's of people coming and going per minute more than likely... Perhaps even more!

The torrents that aren't well seeded likely have an even tougher time.

Try downloading a well seeded version of linux as a baseline test of speeds.. Ubuntu or something like that... Espicially when you start having issues.... Might show that it is actually the BitTorrent network, and specific file you are downloading.

rewket
Premium Member
Longueuil, QC

rewket

Premium Member

No theres defintely something wrong with local torrents.

You will go on a 4 seeder 0 leecher and get full speed then drop to 0 for 1min then go back to full speed then 0 again

never happened to me on international sites with no local connections.(i do 1tb per month, ive seen it all)

I dont know if its throlling but theres definitely something weird going on with local traffic.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Disable utp
Side-note, benchmarking with torrents is highly unreliable. There are too many factors at play to show any accuracy.

rewket
Premium Member
Longueuil, QC

rewket

Premium Member

10 years of full speed on international torrents and a few jumps to 0 on local torrents is enough for me. I dont mind it as i don't download much locally im juts saying this is probably why we have so many people asking about throttling. It's most likely just bad canadian servers
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping

said by rewket:

10 years of full speed on international torrents and a few jumps to 0 on local torrents is enough for me. I dont mind it as i don't download much locally im juts saying this is probably why we have so many people asking about throttling. It's most likely just bad canadian servers

People will say throttling every time because Bell has done it in the pass, it's really the only reason.

JSE
JSEyo
join:2014-05-16
Nova Scotia
·Bell Aliant Fibr..

JSE

But the thing is they're required by law to disclose any throttling practices. I doubt the CRTC would be too impressed if Bell lied about that regardless of where it happened anyway. Xplornet got in heat not long ago for doing that.

Some of the issue is just how busy the network is. Bottlenecks aren't always your first hop. It can be the server, and any of the connection in between. Torrents vary a lot. If you and your neighbors both don't have port forwarding setup right, then you wont find many seeds available to begin with. And even then, I know I always limit my upload traffic to around 15Kbps during the day anyway, I don't see why someone else wouldn't do that.

We're not blessed with a nice fat uplink, I only have 550kbps upload traffic. When you have a house of 4 people who all it on youtube every evening, play facebook games and watch netflix, you really don't want to saturate your uplink anyway