All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
avze
join:2013-08-19

avze

[iPhone] iPhone 6 Battery Replacement?

I am a bit confused about Apple's policy on replacing the battery on the iPhone 6 which I do have. Guess the warranty is valid for 1 year and Apple or any Apple authorized service centers can replace the battery for $79. That's the part I do know about.

However, what happens if just in case the battery goes bad that it cannot hold a charge anymore and my phone's warranty passed over 1 year?
Will any Apple authorized service center still can replace the battery for $79?
And, will I get a new iPhone 6 or will they just hand me over my current phone?
I am confused about that part.

Also, I did not buy this phone directly from Apple, but from a local GSM shop in Europe.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Most of these questions were already answered in your previous thread (or at least they could've been asked there instead of making yet another thread):
»[iPhone] Few questions on my iPhone 6?

The $79 applies in or out of warranty. No guarantee you'll get your phone or a refurbished phone back. Doesn't matter where you bought it.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to avze

MVM

to avze
I would suggest that you just enjoy your iPhone 6 and not worry too much about it.

My first Apple product was a first generation iPod Touch and its battery is still going strong (not that I use it these days but still). No issues there at all. Initially I wasn't happy about the none replaceable batteries but it obviously turned out not to be an issue. This was also the case with my iPhone 4 (of which we had two).

For me personally, I feel confident that I can replace the battery in any of these devices on my own provided I have a replacement battery and a good service manual. This includes my new iPhone 6 Plus. However, if I wanted to make things simple and easy rather then having to do it myself I wouldn't have too much issue with paying ~$80 or more to have a competent / qualified company do it for me,....

Having said that,....

Ironically, my Wife's old MacBook Pro has been in need of a battery replacement for quite some time. Her employer just provided her with a new 13" Retina MackBook Pro so the old one has fallen into disuse. It was neglected for too long so I finally ordered a battery today.

The old battery has gotten so bad that, while it still works, it has expanded / bulged enough to start deforming the 2008 MBP's aluminum unibody case (ever so slightly). Also the trackpad buttons take a lot of pressure to work again likely due to the bulging battery (pressing up against the back of the trackpad). I may replace the trackpad too if it doesn't resume normal operation after the batter replacement.

but thats a MacBook Pro and its about 7 years old. These things are built like tanks and in this case the battery is silly easy to replace.
avze

1 edit

avze

Thanks.

So just in general, and I think Apple started out with this trend when Apple came out with their new smartphone back in 2007, that is there a compelling reason on why no removable battery?
Perhaps I know why, because they can make more money out of these services.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Perhaps,....

Apple does tend to make many things easy and seamless and that is likely to appeal to people who either don't want to or can't service their own hardware.

I tend to think it's more about design as well as the fit and finish (aesthetics). It also likely helps Apple to make smaller, thinner and lighter devices (which apparently is a big thing to some people).

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

4 edits

haroldo to avze

to avze
said by avze:

I am a bit confused about Apple's policy on replacing the battery on the iPhone 6 which I do have....

Welcome to this forum. I see you're new to the iPhone and have a ton of questions...however, most seem like you are going around looking for problems.
You've owned the 6 for less than a week and are now questioning battery replacement?
The 6 is two months old...no one in the world has had a battery issue, yet.

In fact, the other day, you raved about it
said by avze:

I got the iPhone 6 (4.7 inch) almost a week ago, and I had to only charge it once fully.
Ok.....I go on WiFi whenever I need to, so I have that OFF at all times. Synching is also disabled. So I would say approx. 4 days going without charging. That's awesome!

»[iPhone] iPhone 6 Battery life - VERY Impressed! (why not reply to your own thread while on a similar topic...such as this 'battery related issue'?)
My advice...just use the phone, don't worry so much
IMHO, you're constantly looking for problems that may or may not exist.
Most replace their phones every two years, long before battery issues arise.

Have you had any real problems with your phone since owning it?
avze

avze

Nope, I love this phone. Besides the fact that its too too thin, I love this phone.

I admit...Ok....That I do miss my BlackBerry Z30, but no issues on iPhone 6 and loving it.