spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nicheplayer
join:2008-02-15
Iowa City, IA

nicheplayer

[IA] I finally blew through my 250GB cap

To Mediacom's credit, they're not going to charge me the overage fee for my first offense. I wonder, does this mean I can go as much over as I want between now and the end of my existing billing period, or will anything in the overage for this period be applied to next month's total? Also, I should really consider changing my cable plan to the next tier up.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

Hopefully MediacomChad will chime in the correct answers, but...

I don't think Mediacom will carry over your overage to the next month's coverage. However, since there is known to be some lag in how quickly usage gets tabulated, I don't know if Mediacom just cuts off at midnight on your last day and bills for whatever it there at the time, or if they have a day or two "lag" to catch-up any data usage not yet recorded. My guess is they just cut it off, and that one should presume that usage on your last day of the month may get counted in the next month's usage. Assuming this happens at the end of every month, and your usage is generally consistent, then it becomes a wash and doesn't matter, as about the same amount may end of getting reporting the next day/month every time.

I'm sure that Mediacom would prefer that you upgrade to the next higher tier, as that means more money in their coffers that they can count on (whereas overage charges, as lucrative as they might appear to be, cannot be counted on from month to month).

Personally I wouldn't trust anything that suggests to me that the first overage offense won't be charged. Where did you hear that? Depending on the source, if that assumption (or relying on that information) should back fire, you could be in for a nasty surprise if you attempt to run up the end of the month too much more in the hope you won't be charged for it. But that's me, and I tend to be risk adverse.
nicheplayer
Iowa City, IA

nicheplayer

said by k9iua6:

Personally I wouldn't trust anything that suggests to me that the first overage offense won't be charged. Where did you hear that?

It was in that obnoxious browser header they use to notify people when they're getting close to their usage limit. I think. Or an email. But I saw it, honest!

ahent
join:2006-10-06
Johnston, IA

ahent

I got that message too, I still got charged. I have 2 kids and a wife, we blew through 250gb so fast with netflix and such, that we had to upgrade to the 350gb cap. That is how I refer to the plans now, not how fast, but how much data I get, sad but true.
nicheplayer
Iowa City, IA

nicheplayer

Did you ask them about that? I mean, why they put that in your message and then charged you anyway?
nicheplayer

nicheplayer to ahent

to ahent
said by ahent:

I got that message too, I still got charged.

Did you ask Mediacom about this?

ahent
join:2006-10-06
Johnston, IA

ahent to nicheplayer

to nicheplayer
Don't think so, my wife handles all billings and she didn't mention it until a couple months later. For all I know it could have been that we got the first 50gb free and still needed another 50gb that month. I never bothered to look at the bill. Probably would have cost me more than 10 bucks worth of effort to fix it if it was messed up.
nicheplayer
Iowa City, IA

nicheplayer

said by ahent:

For all I know it could have been that we got the first 50gb free and still needed another 50gb that month.

That must've been it. Just off the phone with MCHSI, and they say that first 50 over is free. Once you hit 51 over, you pay. Also apparently running a "Speed Bump" promotion now that will enable me to go to Prime Plus for a year for only $5 more per month.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello nicheplayer See Profile,

That information you received over the phone is correct. If you do have any other questions or concerns in regards to this matter or anything else you can send me a private message here over DSLReports or reach me via email at socialmediateam@mediacomcc.com.
v_lestat
The Blood Is The Life
join:2002-11-09

v_lestat to nicheplayer

to nicheplayer
i can tell you right now that the first "50 over" is N-O-T free as i get charged almost every month for going over the 350GB limit... i mean seriously..... make mine 450gb and i wont complain..
i hate it but its still cheaper than going to the 100mbps since it seems that the 100mb is just a fantasy cap and is rarely achievable anyways.
nicheplayer
Iowa City, IA

nicheplayer

Well, right, I think the first 50 on your very first offense is forgiven. After that, the gloves are off.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

1 recommendation

RyanThaDude to v_lestat

to v_lestat
said by v_lestat:

make mine 450gb and i wont complain

Remove the caps altogether and we'll call it a deal!
nicheplayer
Iowa City, IA

1 recommendation

nicheplayer

said by RyanThaDude:

Remove the caps altogether and we'll call it a deal!

Yeah, the caps are going to be a problem as streaming becomes more widespread. And I mean a problem for consumers, not ISPs who impose caps. COME TO MY TOWN, GOOGLE FIBER!
psdp
join:2011-01-20
Cedar Rapids, IA

psdp to nicheplayer

to nicheplayer
I zoomed right past my 250 a couple months ago for the first time. I wasn't charged an overage for my first time, but I did have to make sure to stay under that next glob (what was it, 50GB? can't recall at the moment) as it was pretty clear they'd charge me if I went "double past" it. Everything reset to 0 on the next "month" (mine starts on the 2nd)

Luckily my cell phone is unlimited LTE as I used up about 40GB more somehow… I think Netflix may have upped their feed to ultra HD or something as I knocked it down a notch and last month was back to normal. (admittedly, I Netflixed a 7 season show in mostly that month… but it didn't seem like I was watching *that* much more as I usually have a little bit to spare)
Donat76
join:2003-01-26
Oelwein, IA

1 recommendation

Donat76 to nicheplayer

to nicheplayer
Yeah the caps are just another money grab. ISPs wouldn't be doing this if there was really competition. It's sad the US is so far behind when it comes to internet speeds and competitive pricing. I know some day though, the companies that never really had to compete and imposed caps will be the ones to fall by the wayside. They won't know how to compete and probably won't be able to because of the way the company has been run for so long. That's a long way off, but it will happen eventually.
iowaman111
join:2014-12-17
usa

iowaman111 to nicheplayer

to nicheplayer
I dont understand how you guys blow through your caps. I have the 350 gig cap and 20 days into billing I am at 165.4 gigs. I have cbsn streamng most of the day. I see 2 to 3 hours of hulu plus a night. Play a few hours of xbox one and have 2 big 1 gig updates this month. And I have the connected home. trust me if it can be conected to wifi I have it. Even a wifi crockpot (love It). and have never gone over 300 gigs in a month
Big_Craig
join:2005-02-08
Cedar Rapids, IA

Big_Craig

When you have two kids that each watch a Netflix stream at the same time it adds up pretty quick. It was much worse before I set their Netflix profiles to lower quality stream (lower bandwidth).

lagomahbago
@50.81.121.x

lagomahbago

Anon

7 people in the house, 4 PC's, 4 connected game systems, 6 phones... no torrenting or any kind of server hosting... and I reach the cap (350GB) a little over halfway through the month on cue. This is with personal restrictions in place; low/med quality streams, limited game times, etc. It's simply not enough cap space for a legitimate tech-friendly family to use comfortably in this age. I'm just thankful the overage fee is not too bad... but it's still evil and adds a sense of tension across the household. I'd almost rather pay that extra up front just for more real cap space... almost.
DoctorX
join:2010-08-01

1 edit

1 recommendation

DoctorX to iowaman111

to iowaman111
Work from home. 4 people. 6 PCs, 4 rokus, 4 tablets, 3 phones, netflix, hulu, youtube (daughter's favorite). I ssh to work (very chatty) over vpn (extremely chatty). Email from work averages 30MB files. (i wish they could do something different there.). Linux Isos. Isos for work.... etc. No torrents at all. Radio streaming. Gaming (steam, etc). Google drive sync. Cloud backups.

I am through 500G in the first 8 days. I normally bump up against my 2TB every month.

Just cause you are special and not using your connection, does not mean others dont. And no I refuse to get a business account for $300/mo. And there is no 3TB option. Caps are just a money grab anyways.

Edit: to add... civ beyond earth is a 50GB download. Most AAA games now is in the 10s of GB.
kb0nly
join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN

kb0nly to lagomahbago

to lagomahbago
If you have that many devices and that many people using your connection at the same time then i don't know how in the world you get by stuck in the slow lane!

150/20 Prime + service here to keep my house running, that includes a 2TB cap and i don't limit anything, usually about 40-60% of my cap each month, no big deal.

But then i dumped that crappy Netflix a year or so ago, was tired of the same old crap available on there. The forums have seen this over and over with Netflix pushing people over their caps, after they went HD everyone got screwed.
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX to lagomahbago

to lagomahbago
I have 3 people in my house and I hit the lower caps in the first week, just with streaming and games. I have the 999GB cap and yet I still come very close to it each month (last month I hit 867GB).

EDIT: Netflix is far from crappy, and if you don't want the HD streams, you can purposefully set it to use SD streams.
kb0nly
join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN

kb0nly

I was a Netflix user from the day it rolled out and for years after, but it got to the point where there was nothing new to watch that i was interested in for weeks, so why pay for reruns all month.

Have they finally improved their movie release pace?? Because "new" release of a two year old movie doesn't interest me. Now if the latest movies were on there within a month of their DVD release then i might be interested. Otherwise my local redbox has them within days of DVD release it seems like.