dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Iphone forced to Wifi without my permission?

I went to the Georgia Dome this weekend to watch the SEC Championship game. During the pregame and throughout the game I like to watch the TV coverage via my Slingbox back at home. I had been watching pregame stuff before we got in the stadium and then when we got to our seats I wasn't able to stream the game. After checking a few things I notice my iPhone had connected to "DomeWiFi' without my permission. I checked my wife's and son's phones and their phones had all switched to DomeWiFi as well as one of the other kids we took to the game (a droid of some type).

What the hell? All of our phones are setup to not auto connect to another WiFi network without our permission yet they were all connected to the DomeWiFi network. Once I turned wifi off and went back to 4G I didn't have a problem streaming video.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex

Premium Member

Maybe it's because you have an Iphone. :-p

battleop

battleop

One of the 4 phones was a Droid and it did it too.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex

Premium Member

Had you ever used the DomeWiFi in the past? I don't this for certain, but if it's a "known network", I think the iPhone will join automatically, won't it?

battleop

battleop

The last time I was in the Georgia Dome (Alabama / Virginia Tech) all of us had different phones.

If you have connected to a network in the past it will auto connect in the future unless you "forget" that network. You can allow your phone to connect to any open AP but I've got that disabled on everyone's phones.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

If you upgraded from one iPhone to the next, then there are situations where the new iPhone will remember the old iPhone stuff (this happened to both me and my husband on our new iPhone 6s while visiting my mom for the first time since we had gotten the phones -- they both automatically connected right up to the password-protected wifi there).

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to battleop

MVM

to battleop
out of curiosity, after this happened did you "Forget" the network on those phones so it wouldn't happen again?

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to darcilicious

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

If you upgraded from one iPhone to the next, then there are situations where the new iPhone will remember the old iPhone stuff ...

Ditto. When we switched iPhones, we did "Restore from backup" to move our old info to the new phones. So for example at the doctor's office, where I hadn't been in probably six months, my new phone connected to the WiFi automatically.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

Same here. It also works between iPhones, iPods, iPads, and Macs if they are all on the same iCloud account. I have connected to networks before with my MacBook Pro and then my iPhone connected automatically a while later automatically.
ilikeme

ilikeme to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
Was that DomeWiFi perhaps run by At&t or whoever your cell provider is?