uniqs

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

[iPhone] PC Program to extract photos from iPhone?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a program to move Photos off my iPhone to my PC? As we all know, using Windows Explorer becomes an exercise in frustration due to the crazy folder names!

I found a program call CopyTrans and will likely give it a try, but I would love to get advice on whether there is a better program out there. Thank you.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I go into the folder(s) on the iPhone, select all the images in that folder and cut/paste to a folder with a name I like that's on my hard drive. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

4 edits

1 recommendation

R2

MVM

Click for full size
That is not my experience. Let me elaborate. This is what my iPhone looks like in Windows Explorer - except there are twice as many folders. Even though all those folders were NOT created on the same day, they all have the same date.

Which of those folders hold the pictures I took last Saturday at the Christmas parade? Which folder holds the pictures from my trip to Florida over Thanksgiving? Which folder holds my pictures from my trip to Mexico last summer?

I would like a program that is able to give those folders a little more meaningful names! Or a program that can otherwise process the images on the iPhone in a more useful format. To me, Windows Explorer is not that program.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

I go into the folder(s) on the iPhone...

You can mount an iPhone as a file system? How please???

Tinkster
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Rosedale, MD

Tinkster to R2

Premium Member

to R2
Make sure you have iTunes installed since it also installs the iPhone drivers needed to mount the phone.

Just plug it in and it will show up as a drive open copy paste out.

I noticed this works best on Windows 7 and up machines XP not so much.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
said by TamaraB:

said by darcilicious:

I go into the folder(s) on the iPhone...

You can mount an iPhone as a file system? How please???

Not completely, just for images and videos.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

I guess no one but me is bothered by the dizzying array of Folders one has to navigate to find the pictures one took last night. I find it challenging to have to open 35 folders to find the pictures I want...

Unfortunately that "CopyTrans" program seems to be quite useful with one apparent problem -- it is only useful for songs and movies - not pictures!!!

I have to believe there is some decent 3rd party program out there that will allow to access your iPhone photos with your PC in a useful way - similar to how the iPhone groups the photos by dates and location...

Maybe some one out there knows of it!
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to R2

to R2
I would just download the iCloud control panel and turn on photo stream. Any pics you take with your phone are automatically downloaded to your desired folder on the computer.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to R2

Premium Member

to R2
Connecting an iPhone to a Windows PC, even without iTunes installed, should appear to Windows as a digital camera. I have no idea why you're seeing all that folder mess. Apple has this article about it: »support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302

Maybe try finding the iPhone in Device Manager, deleting it, and having Windows reinstall it?

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

Merak75 to R2

MVM

to R2
said by R2:

I have to believe there is some decent 3rd party program out there that will allow to access your iPhone photos with your PC in a useful way

Try icopybot
»www.icopybot.com

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2 to Ctrl Alt Del

MVM

to Ctrl Alt Del
CAD - thanks, I'll check it out. That is the way ALL my iPhones have looked in Windows Explorer... Same goes for the way my iPods used to look in Windows Explorer - for the music folders. Interestingly, when I connect the iPhone only the image folders appear. The music folders do not.

That program (TransCopy) does do a good job of allowing you to copy music files - just not photos!

v...75 - thanks as well. I'll check it out too.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by R2:

Interestingly, when I connect the iPhone only the image folders appear. The music folders do not.

That's normal behavior as designed by Apple.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to R2

Premium Member

to R2
I have found that Google+ will copy recent pictures to a folder in "My Pictures/Google+ Autobackup" when I connect any device to my PC with pictures on it.