spc
Search similar:

uniqs
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

GeorgeBurger

Message from VMediaTV

To our subscribers,

We wanted to give you an update on everything we are doing to get our TV service back on track. We know how frustrating this has been - we are subscribers too, and we are particularly grateful for the advice and support you have provided and patience that you have shown.

We have thankfully been able to significantly reduce the number of affected homes, and have narrowed the issues for some TV subscribers down to:

1. Intermittent reconnection, requiring a refresh or a reboot
2. TV not displaying full screen on certain video resolutions (rare)
3. Inability to log in (rare)
4. Audio-sync problems on channel starts

We expect the first 3 to be addressed by end of day and the last one to be addressed over the next several days, as it is an issue with the player and some elements of the solution require the input of third parties.

Please bear with us and rest assured we will make every effort within our means to make this inconvenience up to you and your families.

We are also very well aware of the delays in responding to your calls and messages. Our Tech Support is working very hard, some on double shifts, but it is not possible to acquire more staff sufficiently knowledgeable to reinforce us in such a short time, so we have to face that limitation.

In addition, in trying to adapt our phone system to this surge in calls, many incoming calls were inadvertently dropped Saturday and Sunday. All is good with our phones today and we will be doing our absolute best to get back to everyone.

If we have not gotten back to you by the end of tomorrow and if you have not called again and left a message since midday yesterday, please try again. Hopefully most of you will not have to if we can solve the major issue of intermittent reconnections.

Thanks again – we are determined to win back your confidence.

VMedia
mt99808
join:2008-11-05
Chatham, ON

mt99808

To think I was this close to making the switch to this dumpster fire.
GeorgeBurger

5 recommendations

GeorgeBurger

Maybe you are catching me on a bad day, or a bad week, but I can't let your comment go unanswered. You have managed to make hostile, passive- aggressive comments about VMedia for the entire almost two months that you have been publicly speculating on whether you should sign on with us or not.I am not sure I know where you are coming from but on a day like this after a week like this, and after a comment like you just made, I can only encourage you to get lost.

JustsayNO
@66.49.143.x

JustsayNO

Anon

said by GeorgeBurger:

Maybe you are catching me on a bad day, or a bad week, but I can't let your comment go unanswered. You have managed to make hostile, passive- aggressive comments about VMedia for the entire almost two months that you have been publicly speculating on whether you should sign on with us or not.I am not sure I know where you are coming from but on a day like this after a week like this, and after a comment like you just made, I can only encourage you to get lost.

Nice show George.

Everyone should see this and the attitude a PR Man for Vmedia has when dealing with "difficult" people. This happens all too often and is also prevalent with "difficult" customers. Want an extremely unreliable service that constantly over-hypes and under-performs? Then on top of that, do you enjoy being berated and belittled? Better rush out and buy Vmedia today!

This post is only one such example of how Vmedia truly feels. There are many, many others. Don't believe me? Do a quick search for yourself but be warned, they just might sue you should you say something against them in public!
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by JustsayNO :

said by GeorgeBurger:

Nice show George.

Everyone should see this and the attitude a PR Man for Vmedia has when dealing with "difficult" people. This happens all too often and is also prevalent with "difficult" customers. Want an extremely unreliable service that constantly over-hypes and under-performs? Then on top of that, do you enjoy being berated and belittled? Better rush out and buy Vmedia today!

This post is only one such example of how Vmedia truly feels. There are many, many others. Don't believe me? Do a quick search for yourself but be warned, they just might sue you should you say something against them in public!

Actually his remarks are perfect for dealing with trolls on the internet

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

No they don't. Especially from the PR side of things.
He's succeded in doing nothing more than feeding said proverbial trolls.
GeorgeBurger

1 edit

GeorgeBurger to JustsayNO

to JustsayNO
My original comment was beneath me. Let the trolls have their way.
Expand your moderator at work

MyrddinEmrys
join:2011-11-29
Scarborough, ON

MyrddinEmrys to GeorgeBurger

to GeorgeBurger

Re: Message from VMediaTV

I think it refreshing to see honesty rather than sabotage of service by some CSR having a bad day.
Expand your moderator at work
BoogaBooga
join:2004-06-12
Canada

1 recommendation

BoogaBooga to JustsayNO

to JustsayNO

Re: Message from VMediaTV

Meh. George has gone above and beyond for those who are willing to give VMedia a try.

Some people have already decided that VMedia is not suitable for their needs and just continue to troll. No point in wasting time with those that have made their decision.

Khicken
@24.52.205.x

Khicken to GeorgeBurger

Anon

to GeorgeBurger
George:

I've heard that their is a lag with live TV on vmedia?? Is this true? by which I mean... the guy in the next apartment will see the hockey goal 10 seconds ahead of me on his bell/rogers TV then I would on my Vmedia TV? Any truth to this? Is this a prevalent problem?

thanks for your time.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

said by Khicken :

I've heard that their is a lag with live TV on vmedia?? Is this true? by which I mean... the guy in the next apartment will see the hockey goal 10 seconds ahead of me on his bell/rogers TV then I would on my Vmedia TV? Any truth to this? Is this a prevalent problem?

It's a problem even on FibeTV, some of the Canadiens goals are 5-20 seconds off from when they happen, and I'm in Verdun.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to Khicken

to Khicken
ALL digital tv services are like this... ROGERS BELL, SHAW and TELUS included.. Digital services always have a delay due to digital processes. There is even a delay between LIVE TV at a tv station vs what comes out of a TV at the station.. IT's just the way digital works.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by koreyb:

ALL digital tv services are like this... ROGERS BELL, SHAW and TELUS included.. Digital services always have a delay due to digital processes. There is even a delay between LIVE TV at a tv station vs what comes out of a TV at the station.. IT's just the way digital works.

I used to put the same station on in every room, and walk around doing work without interruption of the media at all. I went as far as using an agile TV modulator to encode my computer onto an unused channel, so I could have downloaded stuff working on the same system. All completely impossible with digital.

We've made lots of progress in the last few years in terms of quality and portability and so on, but there are some huge steps back too
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb

I remember having ROGERS digital in both the bedroom and living room, and because it was 2 different digital boxes, it was off by 1.5 seconds between rooms.

Same with Bell dish at my parents house. TV Modulators tend to be analog, which would not have any delay normally. Not to mention a digital modulator locally in the house would likely not have much delay due to it being all internal networking vs shared public networks where buffering would be more.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by koreyb:

I remember having ROGERS digital in both the bedroom and living room, and because it was 2 different digital boxes, it was off by 1.5 seconds between rooms.

I have 2 OTA ATSC TVs near each other, and one is slightly ahead of the other.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf to Nitra

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

It's a problem even on FibeTV, some of the Canadiens goals are 5-20 seconds off from when they happen, and I'm in Verdun.

That's partly by design, and partly because of the real-time encoders that're being used. The encoders and hole-fill servers (to fill any gaps in the UDP stream, preventing freezing/pixellation) will add a few seconds of delay versus what you'll get on rabbit ears, but on the FibeTV system the whole home PVR will also add some delay on the secondary STB's, so it can build a pause/record buffer. If you start watching the same broadcast on all of your TV's they won't all be synced. You can sync up all the secondary STB's by unplugging the power to the PVR (causing the secondaries to switch to live stream instead of an egress from the PVR) but you'll lose the PVR functions. That's actually why they don't install a PVR when they do business installations in places like a bar

That's not unique to FibeTV... it's a known issue with anything using the MediaRoom platform.
scorpido
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02
Abbotsford, BC

scorpido to GeorgeBurger

Premium Member

to GeorgeBurger
said by GeorgeBurger:

We have all been there. Working your ass off to try to make things right just to have more blocks fall out of the system once you get one side up and going. I'm a V-media customer and I commend the efforts you and your team have done to keep transparent and up front with your customers. Props for throwing down in the forum when needed.
GeorgeBurger

GeorgeBurger

Thank you. It has been a very interesting month.

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to GeorgeBurger

Premium Member

to GeorgeBurger
It's not his fault that vMedia sucks a bag of hammers.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

said by rodjames:

It's not his fault that vMedia sucks a bag of hammers.

At least Vmedia is trying to push back against Bhell/Robbers etc.... There's going to be growing pains, there have been issues with all providers over the years, it's a little more vocal with Vmedia as they're in their infancy and there's some serious growth happening with them.

Thanks again for the efforts George, and ignore the bag of hammers above me.

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames

Premium Member

It's not "pushing back" if he's taking customers from bev, giving them junk tv and internet products, thus eventually sending them back to bev to reacquire them at their cost, driving the price up for all the other subs.

Sorry, but unless Burger's sending a million dollars a year to Ottawa to convince the politicians that Bev and Rod are evil, then he's doing nothing.
fink
join:2002-08-21
Toronto, ON

fink to GeorgeBurger

to GeorgeBurger
As I've said elsewhere I've had issues with VMedia's IPTV and have cancelled that service. I will, however, stick with them as my ISP/cable provider because I strongly prefer to support smaller companies rather than the incumbents and the basic ISP part of VMedia seems to be fine.

For the time being I will go back to watching TV via OTA antenna. If at some point in the near or not so near future it appears that the problems with their IPTV are fixed then I might consider trying it again.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Nitra

Premium Member

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

said by Khicken :

It's just like "The Sting" - Place your bets during the lag!!!!
fink
join:2002-08-21
Toronto, ON

fink to Nitra

to Nitra
Comparing OTA signal to IPTV I've seen the time lag to sometimes be over a full minute watching NFL games on Sunday. I never found it to be a problem though, in fact I occasionally used it to my advantage.. jumping ahead through a timeout or going back in time to rewatch something I'd missed.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to rodjames

Premium Member

to rodjames
I have Internet from Vmedia, it's been over a year and with the exception of a provisioning issue (not their fault) speed has been full on and I can honestly say never had a problem with the service.