Search similar:

uniqs

rlo
@69.172.145.x

rlo

Anon

Linux Mint 17 Qiana Issue

Hi there,

Not the most teksavvy, see what I did there, but thinking this is a relatively easy fix.

So a few weeks ago I lost the ability to connect to my home internet. Well, it connects but consistently reports "resolving host" when trying to surf the web. This is true too when I connect via ethernet cable. It's almost as if I just can't connect to wifi that require wpa as I decided to try and connect to "wifi hotspot" on my phone, to no avail.

Strangely though when I'm in most public settings i.e. starbucks or mc donalds, I connect just fine, as evidenced by right now.

I don't think there is a problem with my router, because my phone and other mac is able to use the internet at home just fine.

I'm currently running Mint 17 qiana xfce on an aspire d250.

Anyways, any help would be most appreciated.
edugas
join:2004-03-18
H2K

edugas

Probably a DNS issue. In a terminal, do "dig google.ca". If it takes more than a second, it's most likely the "Network Manager" who's screwing up the DNS resolution.

I also run Qiana as my desktop at work and after a reboot to apply updates, I wasn't able to resolve anything. I hardcoded my DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf to bypass the Network Manager.

rlo
@69.172.145.x

rlo

Anon

did that fix it?
rlo

rlo to edugas

Anon

to edugas
and if so, do you mind explaining how I'd go about doing that?

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to rlo

Premium Member

to rlo
open your text editor, open the /etc/resolv.conf file (as root) and put in the following lines:

nameserver 8.8.8.8

Jay_P
join:2005-12-12
Montreal, QC

Jay_P

Open a terminal and type the following

sudo echo $'nameserver 4.2.2.1\nnameserver 4.2.2.2' > /etc/resolv.conf
notfred
join:2012-09-15

notfred

If you are going to tell him to hard code the nameservers at least hard code the TSI ones or he'll be back complaining that performance sucks.

I run Ubuntu rather than Mint, I'd take a look at how the resolver is normally setup - does it use resolvconf? does it use dnsmasq for caching? And then fix the broken bit.

Jay_P
join:2005-12-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Jay_P

said by notfred:

If you are going to tell him to hard code the nameservers at least hard code the TSI ones or he'll be back complaining that performance sucks.

Here's the one for TSI's DNS

sudo echo $'nameserver 206.248.154.170\nnameserver 206.248.154.22' > /etc/resolv.conf

To the OP: Before attempting the above try to access the following URL: »206.248.155.70 do you see the website ?