Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Senate report on CIA EIT ("torture") program

Direct link: »s3.amazonaws.com/s3.docu ··· port.pdf

WARNING: 105 MB PDF.

Keep in mind this is a 500 page summary of a 6000 page still-classified review of over 6 million pages of information.

If only all government programs were policed this thoroughly...

Soho97UK
Premium Member
join:2004-08-18
UK

5 recommendations

Soho97UK

Premium Member

Why have you put torture in quotation marks? Have you read about the various techniques used? They were plainly torture, it is not up for debate. If you think torture is acceptable then you can take that position but pretending torture is not torture would just be dishonest.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

2 recommendations

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

We waterboard our own troops for training in SERE. I call it torture because it offends Western sensibilities, but is far from the brutality regularly experienced in the rest of the world.
bethy
join:2009-06-17

2 edits

bethy

Re: Senate report on CIA EIT ("torture") program

said by Krisnatharok:

We waterboard our own troops for training in SERE. I call it torture because it offends Western sensibilities, but is far from the brutality regularly experienced in the rest of the world.

Self torture of American troops doesn't upset Diane Feinstein .

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I saw an interview that Tom Brokaw did with Angelina Jolie and her movie Unbroken.

After hearing what the Japanese soldiers did to American POWs [The death rate of American POWs in German camps was less then 10%, the Death rate of Americans in Japanese camps was around 40%]. One thing became clear. Torture is a tool that we have used for a very long time. It's nothing new, and it shouldn't be so shocking. I can understand why it was shocking to many, because such things aren't in their "wheel house". Meaning they are more focused on celebs then on the actions of the government and such.

We can go back to early America. How blankets tinted with small pox were given to Native Americans. Then look at how the slaves were treated, or how the South treated their POWs. Then look at how our government used radioactive milk on mentally retarded children, to discover the effects of radiation poisoning. Then too, the government injected Black men with Syphilis to see what it's long term effects were. Now we come to the newly released Torture report. Why should it be shocking or surprising that our government or the people it contracted can do such things?
I guess I'm more jaded then most of you all. As I see this and I don't get angry, upset, or moved by it. I just see it as part of the butchers bill when it comes to war.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

1 recommendation

EUS to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
It's strange that Japanese soldiers were hanged for waterboarding US soldiers, but it's A-OK for the CIA and all their buddies across the globe to do so.
bethy
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

bethy

Do you hate waterboarding itself, or just on terrorists?

said by EUS:

It's strange that Japanese soldiers were hanged for waterboarding US soldiers, but it's A-OK for the CIA and all their buddies across the globe to do so.

Should we hang the special forces instructors who waterboard our troops as part of training?

»www.huffingtonpost.com/b ··· 318.html

Highly trained professionals serve as jailors and interrogators, putting prisoners through carefully choreographed chaos that's designed to disorient and break them down. If you're afraid of dogs, they may terrify you with snarling German shepherds just inches from your face. If you're scared of snakes (or insects), they may throw you into a pit of writhing creatures or bugs. If you're claustrophobic, they may stuff you into a series of smaller and smaller boxes or bury you underground in barrels. Throughout the experience, they wear you down with sleep deprivation, semi-starvation, and blaring music, including Sesame Street songs around the clock. They interrogate you constantly, employing enemy techniques copied from World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. (According to The New York Times, those techniques include fake-drowning or waterboarding) They say they don't use excessive force, but it can be physically rough. No one likes to admit it, but bones and eardrums have been broken in the service of preparing American men and women for the reality of captivity.

Domane
Premium Member
join:2013-04-18

Domane to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS

Re: Senate report on CIA EIT ("torture") program

said by EUS:

If the Japanese soldiers were executed solely for waterboarding US soldiers then that is clearly a violation of the Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution that prohibits the infliction of "cruel and unusual punishments."

Execution solely for waterboarding is de facto "cruel and unusual punishment" as the punishment is dramatically to severe for the crime. Classic example of "cruel and unusual punishment."

ADDENDUM: I would speculate that had a German soldier waterboarded US soldiers that particular act in of itself would not have merited his execution in the trials after the war.

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario

Just compare 2 ww2 movies, the great escape and bridge in the river Kwai on the treatment of pow's in the movies.
Seems to be a certain racial divide.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

If you want to see an interesting torture session in a movie, watch the Hanoi Hilton.

»www.imdb.com/title/tt0093143/
quote:
A drama focusing on the suffering, torture, and brutal treatment the American P.O.W.s had to deal with daily while in North Vietnam's Hoa Lo Prison, the most infamous P.O.W. camp in Hanoi.