spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bluehawk1
join:2013-09-03

bluehawk1

SmartRG SR505N ADSL Routed No Signal - Setup Issues

Hi,

I purchased an SR505N DSL modem from a CIK customer. I loaded the Teksavvy firmware on it and then I uploaded ADSL Routed config file. I've also gone through the instruction on support page, but I get no signal. It connects fine through Speedtouch ST516 modem though. I've tried everything, but not sure why it's not connecting. Could it be the modem?? On the summary page, I see Initializing...Establishing Link and then No Signal.

Can someone help with setup please?
notfred
join:2012-09-15

notfred

Are you sure you loaded the ADSL routed config and not the VDSL routed config?

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to bluehawk1

to bluehawk1
Are you getting DSL sync? (ie. solid green DSL light)

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by TypeS:

Are you getting DSL sync? (ie. solid green DSL light)

I think its not syncing, he mentions that it goes thru Initializing, establishing link, then no signal in the interface...

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to bluehawk1

Premium Member

to bluehawk1
said by bluehawk1:

I get no signal. [...] On the summary page, I see Initializing...Establishing Link and then No Signal.

For some reason I deal with lights better than firmware messages Does the DSL light ever turn on at all? Does it blink slow then fast? Does it ever go solid?

If you never get any action on the DSL light.. Seems like a defective modem to me. Try it on somebody else's line?
DigitalRain
join:2013-03-16

DigitalRain to bluehawk1

to bluehawk1
said by bluehawk1:

Hi,

I purchased an SR505N DSL modem from a CIK customer. I loaded the Teksavvy firmware on it and then I uploaded ADSL Routed config file. I've also gone through the instruction on support page, but I get no signal. It connects fine through Speedtouch ST516 modem though. I've tried everything, but not sure why it's not connecting. Could it be the modem?? On the summary page, I see Initializing...Establishing Link and then No Signal.

Can someone help with setup please?

Post in the direct forum and ask TekSavvy if you're on a fast path or an interleaved profile. The TekSavvy config file is only set-up to work by default on fastpath (path 0 checked on the ATM inteface).

The SmartRG needs to be manually configured to sync on interleaved, otherwise the DSL light will just blink.
bluehawk1

bluehawk1

Hi!

Yeah. I'm sure I've uploaded right file. ADSL Routed file which is what I wanted.
Light just blinks. Never a solid light. I did notice the rate of flashing was different (slow then fast), but it never went solid. When I followed the instruction from the file, I did select Interleaved, I'd give it a try with only fastpath as well.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

You shouldn't really be trying to pick Interleaved or Fast Path. You want to let the modem figure that out on its own. It might be the problem.

Slow means the modem is seeing the DSL signal, fast means it is negotiating with the DSLAM (far end of the wire) but not going solid means they can't agree on a profile.

I'd have thought ADSL routed config file from TekSavvy does not require you to choose anything about the profile. I'd re load the config file, and see if that changes the behaviour of the DSL light. Don't do anything else in the config, just reload the ADSL routed file.

If the DSL light goes solid, then input your login and etc., it should work. If the DSL light still doesn't go solid, then maybe the SmartRG just doesn't like your line as much as the Thomson does?!
bluehawk1

bluehawk1

I have put user id and password? Shouldn't they be set before hand?

I'll try out with loading ADSL routed file again and (wtithout filling ID and Pass).

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

Sync should happen regardless of username/pass being filled in.

In fact I'm pretty sure the smartRG should sync even if you go and delete the wan service and layer 2 interfaces. Path 0 / 1 being set a certain way doesn't really matter to sync up.

You will certainly need those set properly to make use of the sync though and get authenticated and online.
bluehawk1

bluehawk1

No success with reloading ADSL routed config.
henry128
join:2010-09-03
Hillsboro, OR

henry128

I don't know if it's the same with ADSL, but for VDSL, it usually takes me ~3-4 cycles of "Initializing Link, Establishing Link, No signal" before it finally syncs after a reboot (3-5 minutes isn't unusual). I am on a Stinger, 15 Mbps VDSL2.

Also, if I change some DSL settings (especially from the command-line), it will refuse to sync (i.e., cycle through Initializing,Establishing,Nosignal forever) until after a reboot.
DigitalRain
join:2013-03-16

DigitalRain to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

You shouldn't really be trying to pick Interleaved or Fast Path. You want to let the modem figure that out on its own. It might be the problem.

You can check one, the other, or both when setting up the ATM interface. I don't know why you would not just check both, as doing so should let the modem sync irrespective of what kind of Bell profile he's on.
bluehawk1

bluehawk1

According to Teksavvy Direct, I may have a defective modem. I did have both of them checked on several occasions. I see DSL light flashing, but doesn't go solid.

I'm on teksavvy firmware. I'd like to give it a try with SmartRG original firmware. I lost it when I upgraded. Does anyone have the firmware?
FTP
join:2012-10-31
Chatham, ON
Asus RT-AC68
Technicolor DCM476

FTP

DSL light flashing? Test at Demarc, does it still flash? if yes, test with another modem to see if you can get a solid DSL light. If you can get a solid light with another modem then it means that your current modem is defective. If you still cannot get a solid DSL light with the new modem, agree to the DMC and open a repair ticket to have Bell check the line. Simple as that.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano to bluehawk1

MVM

to bluehawk1
Are you sure you're on ADSL and not on VDSL?
Get the firmware here: »SmartRG 505n firmware
bluehawk1

bluehawk1

DSL lights just flashes at the Demarc point as well. I was testing with Teksavvy ADSL config file which includes both Path 0 and 1 checked. I had also updated the firmware version to 2.5.0.2, but same story. I should have ADSL lines as I'm using Speed Touch 516 v6 modem at the moment. Hence didn't try PTM interface at all.

Unit maybe defective then. Kijiji seller may have scammed me. Hard to believe a grown man in 30s/40s with a family would want to scam people for a few bucks.
I tried to contact his provider, CIK. They are no help as I'm not a customer and it seems he is not a customer either. Their tech support said I could visit their North York office to see if they could help, but I don't think I could get much out of it. I tried to get hold of SmartRG tech support, but no one picks up a phone.

The modem still has 6 months warranty, but no one is willing to redeem it. Do I have any options here, or just weep for the loss? :P

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

said by bluehawk1:

Unit maybe defective then. Kijiji seller may have scammed me

Sounds like it. ATM or PTM being set up doesn't matter, should still sync. It's not impossible that the seller used it fine with VDSL and you're just bumping into some defect trying to use it on ADSL.

I think you'll be screwed on warranty unless you could get the kijiji seller to get it replaced with CIK.. if they would be willing to even honor the warranty if he's just a former customer now.
bluehawk1

bluehawk1

I agree. Unit may have be defective for ADSL connection. I don't have VDSL connection. It'd be nice if I can test it somewhere. I might visit the CIK office next week to see if they can help.

Thanks!
bluehawk1

bluehawk1

I just returned from CIK office in North York. An Indian fellow at the tech support was kind enough to test out the modem for me. He checked ADSL line as they have only ADSL at the office. He plugged in the phone cable, and voila we have a solid green light on a first try. We then put teksavvy ID and password and I was able to connect there. This suggests that modem is in fact fine.

Any ideas about what could be wrong with my line then? I'm currently using SpeedTouch 516 modem. 15 down, 1 Up.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Hmm... this is interesting. What are your current stats on the ST516, out of curiosity...

Are you currently on fastpath or interleave? Perhaps you can ask TSI to switch your profile to fastpath if your line is interleave, or vice versa...
bluehawk1

bluehawk1

Are you looking for this? I don't know how to check Path.

Uptime: 0 days, 2:27:34

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 825 / 17,982

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 9.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 13.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.5 / 12.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IKNS

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 23 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 942

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 /

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Hmm, yeah this doesn't show it... You'd have to find DMT or telnet into it and figure out the appropriate command... However the SNR/atten is fine.

However, it does state that your remote type is IKNS, which means Stinger... I wonder if there could be an issue with that in ADSL mode, if the Stinger Support feature for VDSL is enabled in the config file...

I believe this is what's listed in the config file...
<X_SMARTRG_COM_StingerMode>TRUE

To disable it you set it to FALSE. Mind you, i've no experience with this setting on ADSL1/2, but i know on VDSL the modem will NOT sync on a Stinger (IKNS) remote. But perhaps this setting being enabled on an ADSL2 line creates a conflict, and may need to be set to FALSE (off).

You can just edit the config file and change this, reupload it and give it a shot. if not you can always reload the original config
bluehawk1

bluehawk1

I can't find that line in ADSL/VDSL config file. Do I add it in ADSL config file?

<X_SMARTRG_COM_StingerMode>FALSE

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to bluehawk1

Premium Member

to bluehawk1
said by bluehawk1:

I just returned from CIK office in North York. An Indian fellow at the tech support was kind enough to test out the modem for me. He checked ADSL line as they have only ADSL at the office. He plugged in the phone cable, and voila we have a solid green light on a first try. We then put teksavvy ID and password and I was able to connect there. This suggests that modem is in fact fine.

That's pretty cool of them! I'm not surprised it works, given that the DSL light got that close to sync. It is something about your line..
said by bluehawk1:

Uptime: 0 days, 2:27:34
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 825 / 17,982
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 9.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 13.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.5 / 12.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IKNS

That's as reported by the 516, right? 825 on the upstream on a stinger? I'm not as well versed in this as I should be, but I thought that wasn't possible?! 800 is the stinger limit? Then there is all that stuff about false reporting the upstream line stats..

What upstream speed do you get on speedtests?

Regarding HiVolt's suggestions.. Playing with the profile seems more promising than the StingerMode setting, but they are both reasonable enough things to try.

I tried out a whole bunch of modems on a customer's stinger about 6 months ago now. Aha, here it is:
»Re: [DSL] Can you still use a speedstream 4200 modem for 6Mb DSL?

So the SR505n is definitely not that good on Stingers in ADSL mode. Then again, the 516 didn't seem to be any better..

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to bluehawk1

Premium Member

to bluehawk1
You might have to add it with the TRUE setting instead if it doesnt exist... again im not sure how this will work on adsl...
HiVolt

2 recommendations

HiVolt

Premium Member

actually you might have to add two lines...

<X_SMARTRG_COM_StingerMode>TRUE
</X_SMARTRG_COM_StingerMode>

Not sure if placement is important, but in my config those two lines are under this line.

</VendorConfigFileNumberOfEntries>

bluehawk1

bluehawk1

Thanks HiVolt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You fixed it. The DSL LED is solid and am able to connect to internet as well. This is got to be a config issue. I added those two lines right underneath end of vendor config. At first I kept getting illegal image, then I tried to adjust the space between the value. I think it worked without any space.

»i.imgur.com/6THcQqJ.png
»i.imgur.com/HrrAxCt.png

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!
I've spent way too much time trying to troubleshoot this, but it works now. HA!
Btw, do you happen to have original config file? I may try that later on. Would check those lines on it as well.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Hah, i'll be damned... so this also applies to ADSL1/2 configs on stinger remotes...

It was a hunch, I'm glad it played out... I guess TSI needs to update their configs!

I don't have the original ones anymore that my modem came with... i've reflashed it too many times early on testing firmwares...

I just remembered about the stinger mode part when I was testing an early version of TSI firmware and after I flashed it wouldn't sync! Then figured out that was the culprit.
bluehawk1

bluehawk1

No worries about config files. Thanks

What is stinger remote btw?