spc
Search similar:

uniqs
GigaHertz
join:2014-12-09
Buchanan, VA

GigaHertz

[Equipment] Cradlepoint IBR600 forcing AWS Band 4

I am using the Cradlepoint IBR600LPE-VZ 4G router/modem with Verizon and it is awesome! The only problem is it sometimes will pick XLTE AWS Band 4 and other times the old LTE Band 13. Band 4 is always much, much faster here. So I want to lock it to use band 4 only.

I found how to lock it to 3G or 4G but can't find how to lock it to only use Band 4.

Do any experts have a solution?

Thank you.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

It sounds like you are operating at the edge of an XLTE coverage area. A bigger modem antenna with much higher gain might help. BUT, you significantly increase risk of damage or tampering if the device is in a vulnerable area. You did not state exactly how the device is being used or where it is located. Inside a secured building? Outside? There is also the cost of cabling and finding space for the larger antenna. Be advised that a larger omnidirectional antenna might not solve the problem and that you might need to install a directional antenna.

AnonDude
@97.95.147.x

AnonDude to GigaHertz

Anon

to GigaHertz
If it's going to band 13 either band 4 is getting congested to your band 4 signal is weak. Either way you do not want to lock it to one band.
GigaHertz
join:2014-12-09
Buchanan, VA

GigaHertz

Thank you for your replies. I have solved the issue by very slowly relocating the Cradlepoint to different areas in my attic until it switched from band 13 to band 4. Once it switched to band 4 the SINR shot up from 6dB to 26dB and my speed increased from 10Mbps to 28Mbps.

If you do this, be sure to reboot the modem once you think you have found a great spot. This is important because previously I found a spot with RSSI at -58dBm, SINR 30dB on band 4, however, once I rebooted, it jumped back to band 13 with very poor SINR of 6dB but great RSSI at -55dBm and refused to jump to band 4. So I think the band is determined by the RSSI strength. Speed seems to improve as SINR increases.

The final spot reboots into band 4, RSSI at -70dBm and SINR at 27, speed at 28Mbps (highest was 31Mbps)