uniqs

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

Fiberglass vs. Cellulose insulation?

What are the main pros/cons between the two. I am going to be having my attic re-insulated over the winter and these are the main options in this area. From what I have heard so far:

Fiberglass
Pros: Cost, lifespan, not as dusty
Cons: Not as efficent, Its fiberglass

Cellulose:
Pros: More efficent, Green
Cons: less lifespan than fiberglass, dust

Are there any others? What have your experiences been? The house was built in 1975 and still has the original blown in fiberglass, with fiberglass batts in the added on game room.
averagedude
join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA

averagedude

My 2 cents...
IF I have to install myself = cellulose
Someone else installing = fiberglass

I don't like sand fiberglass. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to ilikeme

Mod

to ilikeme
What do you mean by re-insulated? Are you adding to or taking everything out and starting fresh?

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

I am going to be adding on to the existing fiber glass (or whats left of it) on one side of the house (Kitchen, Dining room and living room) and probably completely remove the old fiberglass on the other half (bedrooms and added on game-room).
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
Cellulose also makes your house quieter. It absorbs sound much better than fiberglass does. I don't know how well it holds up to the uber-humidity of the Houston area though.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

I'm in coastal SC and cellulose seems to hold up well to humidity which surprises me. I had a townhouse with something like 18 inches of cellulose in the attic and it seemed to have no damage at all, best part was the home had a metal roof and I could not hear the roof when it stormed out. Dead quite inside but outside you could hear the rain hitting the metal roof for sure. This home was well insulated and it was very quite. I know the attic was cell, crawl space was fiberglass but not sure what they used in the walls???

I'm thinking about adding a layer of cellulose in my attic to bump up the R value but I'm mostly looking for less sound transmission.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to ilikeme

to ilikeme
There is also rock wool, which is very similar to fiberglass, but it's not fiberglass ...
Expand your moderator at work
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme

Re: Fiberglass vs. Cellulose insulation?

When I was researching it, it seemed like cellulose had to be packed in pretty tightly in order to be effective. Among other things, you risk it settling and leaving a top portion of your wall uninsulated.

For this reason, I would think it would be near-impossible to fish cables through a wall with cellulose insulation, rather than merely difficult with fiberglass.

I ended up getting fiberglass batts in most of the house, and blown in fiberglass in the attic. As well they installed a vapour barrier. I have one room with fiberglass insulation, and no vapour barrier, which wasn't part of that renovation. The difference is tremendous.

m.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by Mango:

When I was researching it, it seemed like cellulose had to be packed in pretty tightly in order to be effective.

Really?!? Do you have any reference for that?
Quattrohead
Premium Member
join:2005-02-09

1 recommendation

Quattrohead

Premium Member

Fiberglass is a poor insulator, too easy to install wrong and let air blow past it. Cellulose is far better for filling the gaps but closed cell foam is the ultimate.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

Also highest priced by a ways.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

Are there any others?

There is closed-cell spray foam insulation... it will seal your house.
Generally, however, you would have to remove existing insulation to get good results and lower heating / cooling bills.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
Look into Icynene. Great stuff.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,

AMDUSER

Premium Member

That would be one of the name brands for the closed-cell spray foam insulation... I agree it is good stuff.

F100
join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC

F100 to ilikeme

to ilikeme
If you have blown fiberglass in the attic, can you blow cellulose on top of it? I am pretty sure I have fiber glass in my attic and I know it was blown in. My house was built in 1980 but they may have added more insulation at some point.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
I frequently have to wade thru knee high polyester looking stuff/fuzz in people attics.
Seems down here in southern Az an awful lot of the higher end homes have that stuff.

It looks a lot like what you find all over your backyard after a couple of puppies have had at it with a (formerly) good sleeping bag.
(yes, first hand experience with the bag situation)

Thats all I know about that stuff besides it sticks ALL OVER my clothes and I spread it everywhere & doesn't give any itches...
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to AMDUSER

Premium Member

to AMDUSER
I thought Icynene was open-cell foam?!? Similar concept though.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I think it's just a brand name and they have both.
alphageek911
join:2007-08-10
Fresno, CA

1 recommendation

alphageek911 to Mango

to Mango
said by Mango:

I would think it would be near-impossible to fish cables through a wall with cellulose insulation, rather than merely difficult with fiberglass

Nope. fishing a wall is never fun, but cellulose pushes out of the way fairly easily, whereas fiberglass batts tend to bunch up in front of whatever you're fishing with, and if you are drilling, fiberglass will wad up on the bit like cotton candy.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

Really?!? Do you have any reference for that?

Sorry, not any more - this was 4+ years ago. I remember I got that from watching some pro installers on YouTube if that's helpful.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
The Cadillac solution would be to remove the existing, lay down a couple of inches of closed-cell spray foam, then 18" of cellulose on top. You get the air/vapour barrier from the foam; then the insulation of the cellulose.

If you have fibreglass now; putting cellulose on top maybe a problem - it's heavier; and will compress the fibreglass, pretty much ruining the insulation value.

Around here, it's pretty much all blown cellulose for attic insulation... It's cheap, it's effective.

That said - you're in a 'cooling' climate - I'm in a 'heating' one... So don't know how transferable what 'we' do is for your application.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Cadillac solution for the OPs area would be to remove the existing insulation and insulate the underside of the roof deck with closed cell foam creating a non-vented, conditioned attic space. Summer cooling is the main issue in Texas and with all of the ducts and many times the air handler itself in the attic this method is the most energy efficient. If there is enough space in the attic to do the work it would be a good option to look into.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
Cellulose Burns slower then fiberglass if there's a fire it will give you more time to get out then fiberglass.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by chip89:

Cellulose Burns slower then fiberglass if there's a fire it will give you more time to get out then fiberglass.

Huh? Fiberglass doesn't burn, its inorganic. »www.naima.org/insulation ··· ing.html

The facing may be combustible, but that wouldn't have anything to do with getting additional blown in on top of existing.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to chip89

MVM

to chip89
??

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k
Fiberglass melts in a fire. Just pointing out that cellulose does't burn as fast.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Pn53JtHQ
whitetimothy
join:2014-12-15
Australia

whitetimothy to ilikeme

to ilikeme
Fiberglass is better options.