spc
Search similar:

uniqs

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

Sim City

Anyone here plays it? I hear the offline patch is in now, so you don't have to depend on idiotic players making bad cities as neighbors.

I almost picked it up during their recent -70% sale but wasn't sure I'd like the game.

How is it compared to Sim City 4?

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

How is it compared to Sim City 4?

First off, I have over 100 hours on Sim City (2013), however, that is nowhere near the amount of hours I've spent on SC4 / Rush Hour expansion over the past 10+ years.

Now, my opinion:

Sim City (2013) is shit. Pure, unadulterated, shit. Tiny city plots, idiotic pathing issues, over-reliance on neighbors, region projects that never complete, and so on.

SC2013 is a lot better visually than SC4, but gameplay is very heavily biased towards SC4.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

1 edit

TigerLord

That is so sad. I played the shit out of SC4 too, and relied on a lot of mods or fixes from Simtropolis.

I was so hoping for a modern version, but it looks like this won't be it, so I'll pass.

It boggles the mind that there isn't a single good city builder yet. Something like SC4+Rush Hour with traffic fixes but on a modern engine would do really well I am sure.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel

Premium Member

Check out NAM (Network Addon Mod) for SC4 if you've never heard of it. It adds and changes A LOT of stuff in relation to the transit network - and it also has plug-ins.

»www.wiki.sc4devotion.com ··· itle=NAM

EDIT: SC2K Special Edition is currently free on Origin.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to ironweasel

Premium Member

to ironweasel
I tried really hard to like it. Some interesting add-ons. Lots of potential but fundamentally the game was flawed from the start.

I tried making 3 cities which I named Costco, The Borg, and something else. Each was one was dedicated to commercial, industrial and residential respectively. The simulation was clearly not a proper simulation. The many train stations I had kept picking up from one station and not the rest. Despite massive flow out of the residential city it never quite seemed to flow into the other two cities at the same rate. I remember reading that the simulation really approximated alot with the higher populations and it seemed to show when I tried to isolate the simulation elements.

There was so much emphasis on the previews for the game that if commercial areas needed a widget you could follow it from being built to the commercial area to home. But then they took short cuts like when going home the sim would always go to the closest empty home. They had no residence nor did they move.

Frankly, despite it's flaws I enjoyed Cities XL much much more. I really hoped SC 2013 would have had the expansive and beautiful maps of XL with the complex game play we know to expect of Sim City. I kinda feel like SC had some great ideas but at a certain point the developers were having trouble keeping the computing requirements under a certain threshold so they had to take short cuts and limit the game to make everything (sorta kinda work) so that they could release something.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Its ok, I have over 150 hours played, but it lacks depth. Offline play is pretty fun you just set up shop in a region and tailor the cities to support each other. I havent played in a long time though it just doesnt fill that builder need for me anymore, it was def fun for a while though.

On the horizon is Cities: Skylines. which is shaping up to be a proper spiritual successor to Sim City 4, its being made by Paradox interactive which made the Cities in motion series (also Europa Universalis). Its their first true city builder/simulation so i expect some bumps but they are saying full mod support and their coming in a decent price (30ish).

»www.citiesskylines.com/