spc
Search similar:

uniqs
newSymp
join:2003-11-06

newSymp

can someone explain VPN services to me?

Hello.

Just wondering.. I know the basic of VPN services etc, but I am a little confused on how they work when the server is setup in a Router..

When a router is setup with a VPN server etc.. every time i want to change a location of the server do I have to log in to the router to change location or is there software that can control that?

I am lost a bit lol I know this is the can section, but i figure since I am here i could ask
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

Basically, when you set up your router to access these services, your router decides "X will be tunnelled,
while Y will not be tunnelled" to the VPN provider.

You may want to look into these conceptual diagrams of the two types of VPN out there : Site to Site VPN and Remote Access
said by newSymp:

When a router is setup with a VPN server etc.. every time i want to change a location of the server do I have to log in to the router to change location or is there software that can control that?

Not sure what you mean by that, can you clarify?

Regards
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to newSymp

Premium Member

to newSymp
said by newSymp:

When a router is setup with a VPN server etc.. every time i want to change a location of the server ...

The VPN "client" will need the valid IP address of the router. If it is always assigned the same IP, you can change the location as much as you want.

But most routers have dynamic IP, supplied by the ISP when it powers up or reboots. Google "Dynamic DNS" to see how you can report that changing IP to a web server, which then tells the VPN clients.
newSymp

newSymp

What I meant was..

So you setup your router to have one certain location right? lets assume Canada, and than you want to have an IP from the USA.. do you have to go back into the router config and change that?
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to newSymp

MVM

to newSymp
said by newSymp:

So you setup your router to have one certain location right? lets assume Canada, and than you want to have an IP from the USA.. do you have to go back into the router config and change that?

Depends how the VPN provider has it setup. Offhand, I know most are offering some form of OpenVPN offering. Far as I know, they've server(s) configured in the country you want to appear as, so yes... you may have to change that at the router or client-software level.

Best way to tell is look at a couple config guides for these providers.

My 00000010bits

Regards
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to newSymp

Premium Member

to newSymp
said by newSymp:

So you setup your router to have one certain location right? lets assume Canada, and than you want to have an IP from the USA

OK, I understand now what you are actually trying to do.

Millions of people in Canada watch US version of Netflix/Hulu/etc. using a DNS Proxy Server: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sm ··· y_server

You have to edit ONLY the DNS settings in your router. Type exactly the DNS server addresses provided by the company you choose. Once you do that, you can move your router anywhere you want. You don't have to change the DNS setting.
newSymp

newSymp

said by lutful:

said by newSymp:

So you setup your router to have one certain location right? lets assume Canada, and than you want to have an IP from the USA

OK, I understand now what you are actually trying to do.

Millions of people in Canada watch US version of Netflix/Hulu/etc. using a DNS Proxy Server: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sm ··· y_server

You have to edit ONLY the DNS settings in your router. Type exactly the DNS server addresses provided by the company you choose. Once you do that, you can move your router anywhere you want. You don't have to change the DNS setting.

well yes and no.. i know of services like unblock-us etc etc, but i was going to be using hidemyass because they have some country VPN servers in the EU that other services don't offer.

So i was going to use my asus rt66 and setup the VPN at the router level without using their software.exe file.. Thus i did not know if i had to log in to my router every time i wanted to watch something in Germany, than log in again to switch to France, etc etc.

I know wiith their software all you do is click the region wait and it is loaded, but with a hardware level vpn not sure.

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to newSymp

Premium Member

to newSymp
I have 3 sites. One in Ottawa, Toronto, and one in the USA.

7.7.7.x Ottawa
7.7.8.x Toronto
7.7.10.x USA

I use vpn connections on the 10.1.0.x subnet between the three boxes, then connect from my home (TSI) internet to the 10.1.0.x subnet, and route to the 7.7.x subnets through their respective vpn links.

That achieves a virtual private lan between all 3 sites. so, if I ping 7.7.7.100 from my 192.168.2.22 (home) network adapter, it will tunnel through the vpn(s) and act like the box was plugged into my home switch.

However, my internet traffic doesn't all go through the vpn. 90% of my packets are just sent out the home (TSI) internet connection to wherever.

Hope this helps.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to newSymp

MVM

to newSymp
Sometimes RTFM'ing the solution/answer is alot easier... just sayin'

My 00000010bits

Regards
Paul in WA
join:2010-09-11
Centralia, WA

Paul in WA to newSymp

to newSymp
I have vpn set up on both a couple of my computers and on my router. If I want to change my whole home network I can do that through the router. In that case the entire house goes through whatever the one vpn server I chose with the router. Yes, I have to log back into the router to make any changes. On the other hand, I can leave the router connected directly to my ISP and log into the VPN on one of the computers on which I have set up VPN service. In this case only that computer goes through a VPN server and the rest of the network doesn't.

Each method has its advantages. For example when I log onto a UK VPN server my connection slows down because of the distance. If I do that just from my own computer I am not slowing down all the other users on my network the way that I would be if I logged onto that UK VPN from my router.

JSE
JSEyo
join:2014-05-16
Nova Scotia
·Bell Aliant Fibr..

JSE to newSymp

to newSymp
FWIW though most off the shelf Walmart routers don't work with OpenVPN/PPTP/L2TP. I have one that I bought (at Canadian Tire???? I cannot remember haha) though that coincidentally (didn't buy it on purpose for that at the time) supported the DD-WRT Mega build so it has OpenVPN support built in.

I use PIA, and they have a number of VPN locations. Each time you want to change location you will need to change it in the server address of your configuration.

If you just want to change location with software just install the client on your PC and do that, otherwise if you want your LAN/wifi VPN routed then you'll probably have to stick with the slightly trickier configuration.

If privacy is your goal, use OpenVPN or nothing. If privacy is not important to you and you just want to reroute to another country to avoid geo-location on stuff then you can use anything with that. Just let it be know Hulu doesn't like VPNs and Netflix has stated will ban if they suspect you of getting around their geolocation schemes, they are there on purpose haha.