All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

[WIN10] Windows 10 maybe a monthly subscription?

There are rumour Microsoft maybe considering only selling Windows 10 on a monthly subscription basis as opposed to a one time purchase of the os..

»www.extremetech.com/comp ··· ed-model

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

5 recommendations

goalieskates

Premium Member

Then I won't have Windows 10. Simple.

NoOneCares
join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR

3 recommendations

NoOneCares to vue666

to vue666
I'm staying away from any software that has a yearly or monthly charge. I'll stick with what I have. I'm getting too close to retirement to want to have any recurring garbage.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

1 recommendation

vue666 (banned)

said by NoOneCares:

I'm staying away from any software that has a yearly or monthly charge. I'll stick with what I have. I'm getting too close to retirement to want to have any recurring garbage.

Me too but I must admit, I do love my monthly fees for Adobe Cloud (Lightroom & Photoshop) and to e-onsoftware for Vue. It's much cheaper than what I was paying on a yearly basis for upgrades...

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

1 recommendation

aurgathor to vue666

to vue666
It really depends on the monthly or yearly fee.

Would I be willing to pay $1/month? Most certainly!!
How about $5/month? Lemme think about...
How about $19.95/month? Are you kidding?!?

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

There are rumour Microsoft maybe considering only selling Windows 10 on a monthly subscription basis as opposed to a one time purchase of the os..

»www.extremetech.com/comp ··· ed-model

There is also a rumour that myself and others will avoid it. Of course I have never paid for a Windows OS. They have all just fallen in my lap.

Blob

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

said by workablob:

There is also a rumour that myself and others will avoid it. Of course I have never paid for a Windows OS. They have all just fallen in my lap.

Blob

To date, I've only paid for Win2K and Win7 .

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to vue666

MVM

to vue666
I suppose anything is possible,....

However, if Microsoft goes the subscription route with Windows 10, I think it highly unlikely that would be the only option for legally procuring the OS. An outright purchase option may still be offered but comparatively speaking it would likely seem cost prohibitive in the short term.

So for example:

In the past early buyers of new Windows release could purchase an upgrade for ~$40 or ~$50. Microsoft could discontinue such initiatives making initial release versions closer in price to typical retail price of ~$100+ or whatever it is they charge. While the subscription route could very well be free for the first 6 month or possibly even the first year.

That's something of a stick and carrot approach.

My concern though is that Microsoft has been saying that Windows 10 will be the last big release or something similar. This suggest to me that in order to go beyond Windows 10 you must first have Windows 10 because everything else (any future release) will be built on it in some way. So one might not be able to simply "pass" on Windows 10 if one wants to go beyond Windows 10.

I feel like there might be a missing piece here,....

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

2 recommendations

rfhar to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
Linux anyone?
SilentMan
join:2002-07-15
New York, NY

1 recommendation

SilentMan

Yeah! There will always be Linux, totally free. MS would be crazy if they would move Windows to a subscription basis and piss off their millions of customers.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to Boricua

to Boricua
said by Boricua:

said by workablob:

Blob

To date, I've only paid for Win2K and Win7 .

Those are both good values. Glad you didn't fork over any Shekels for Win ME

Blob

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
I can't imagine them ever doing that. It's one thing to offer a subscription based Office program, because that's not essential to the operation of the system. The OS on the other hand, IS essential. That would do more to drive people away from Windows than even 8 did.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

It's no secret that that's what they've been wanting to move to, even on the OS side.
I see the office sub as a trail run.
If you package your OS & office, receive $10 month off! Join now!*
*$10 off regular fees when you sign up to a three year contract
There's nothing better (on the receiving side) than getting a steady cash stream in perpetuity.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean

MVM

Indeed but didn't Microsoft maintain a standard licensing option for those willing to spend more upfront for Office,......?

Edit:

»www.microsoftstore.com/s ··· dium=cpc

So it looks like, for example, with Office 360, ~$100 per year / 10 a month enables 5 PCs or Macs plus 5 iPads or Windows tablets. Thats in contrast to a ~$140 one time fee for Office Home & Student 2013 for one PC only (without Outlook, Publisher and Access).

The software package and feature set is different but the option is still there to buy a license outright.

For my own reasons and for my own personal use, I'd rather spend a one time fee of ~$220 for Office Home & Business per system or ~$140 for Office Home & Student per system then the subscription option of Office 360. I don't need Office on all my systems anyway,...

That is a "Put your money where your mouth is" type of proposition and I don't see why Microsoft wouldn't approach Windows subscriptions the same way (assuming they choose to go that way at all).

This is the only logical approach IMO if they make such a move. Logic may be a bit of an issue for Microsoft these days though,....

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

6 recommendations

Thaler to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
The minute a new PC ships with an OS I have to pay a subscription for is the same minute I wipe that OS off. I certainly wouldn't upgrade to such an OS either unless it somehow had "prints money and wipes your ass" as features.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
We've discussed this before months ago, and I'll say it again, Win 7 support ends in 2020. Win 8.x support ends in 2023. We have some time until it's possibly mandatory in certain versions of windows.

I had used linux before, but Win 8.0 with it's horrible tablet gui really pushed me back into linux. Thankfully they kicked Ballmer to the curb, and tried to fix some of his mistakes, however it seems they didn't really put much effort into it to help 8.1 users.

There were even rumors that Win 10 might be free to Win 8 users since they promised them the return of the start menu in 8.1, but that remains to be seen.

So we don't know what is truly going to happen yet, and it won't possibly be released until later next year.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to captokita

MVM

to captokita
said by captokita:

I can't imagine them ever doing that.

You must not have any experience with big business. I can see some C-level executive saying we can increase profits by charging Windows users X dollars a month. They will then go through some sort of testing phase where everyone will tell them that this is the dumbest thing ever and that they wouldn't go for it. Then, Microsoft will release Windows 10 with a $10 a month "maintenance fee" and be amazed that no one is interested.

What happened with the Start button on Windows 8 is the perfect example of what can happen.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to BlitzenZeus

MVM

to BlitzenZeus
Linux always gets dragged out and paraded around in the Windows forums on just such an occasion or topic. Linux hasn't set the world on fire yet and I don't know if it will ever happen.

For me personally I'll stick with my Windows 7 and Windows 8 / 8.1 licenses for as long as possible or if what I suggested earlier becomes the case simply go for the pay once option for Windows 10.

As for jumping ship to Linux, no not for me. Not likely at all. I would sooner move to OS X and Apple hardware.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Which is why I brought up the eol of the current versions of windows, but you also can't just put osx on any non-apple machine.

I don't like overpriced package desktop systems when you can build them cheaper at retail price piece by piece even when you have to pay for the os, but if i were to buy a laptop where they are difficult to build on your own that's another matter. The most important thing is can the os run software you want to run, and that's all that matters in the end. I've said it before, had Apple followed up with Dolphin, and allowed me to run osx on non-apple packages I might be running it right now. They didn't give me that option, I like desktops, but I might reconsider with a laptop as long as I'm not forced to buy $30 proprietary cables.
Laidback
join:2001-09-30
Cochrane, ON

Laidback to vue666

to vue666
I am currently testing it through school. I don't think I would pay a monthly fee for it. one time is enough.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to Kilroy

Premium Member

to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

What happened with the Start button on Windows 8 is the perfect example of what can happen.

Because a change in function is the same as charging for ANY function. ok then.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

1 recommendation

digitalfutur to rfhar

Premium Member

to rfhar
said by rfhar:

Linux anyone?

1% share for consumer PCs anyone? There's a reason why it's not even a niche product in that category.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to BlitzenZeus

MVM

to BlitzenZeus
Its an individual thing.

Right now I live in a Mocrosoft Windows / PC and Apple / OS X / iOS environment by choice. If my hand is forced by Microsoft then I can live in just an Apple environment (or the other way around). My existing hardware won't be wasted as they can run their current version of Windows until such time as they are no longer supported.

As I have stated before in other threads, not everyone has a say in what OS they use. My Wife for example was unceremoniously switched to OS X at work some years ago (she is a programer / developer). Her employer just furnished her with an upgrade (new retina MacBook Pro) for use when she travels and works from home and her office system gets upgraded with some degree of frequency as well. That's half of our computer related expenses and concerns right there,...

As I get older (and migrate away from gaming) I care a lot less about many of the things that keep me in a Windows environment for personal use. That's not to say I'm not content with Windows (even Windows 8 / 8.1) because I am but this also depends on Microsoft not rocking the boat.

While I like Windows, I also have come to like OS X,.......so I'm hoping Microsoft doesn't @$&#%up a good thing,...

Never say never, I get that but I just don't see switching to Linux which is an OS I have never really used despite it's similarities to Unix,...

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

1 recommendation

rfhar to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

said by rfhar:

Linux anyone?

1% share for consumer PCs anyone? There's a reason why it's not even a niche product in that category.

Gee, I thought it was more like 2%

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
hahahahahahahahaha......

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

Thaler to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

Linux always gets dragged out and paraded around in the Windows forums on just such an occasion or topic. Linux hasn't set the world on fire yet and I don't know if it will ever happen.

When Joe Average is looking at a rental fee to use his Windows computer, or free for Linux, you'll see much more of a push than in the past.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
I would balk at it unless it were pretty damn cheap. And even then I'm not sure I'd like it. For one, how often must it connect to verify the subscription? What happens if no connection is available (like say, on my laptop, where I might be away from my ethernet cables at home, and turn off the wireless to save power, or not be in a hotspot)? Will updates be automatic and mandatory? What happens when support ends? I would want to know these things first.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
They tried this with XP already.....

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to Thaler

MVM

to Thaler
To the uninitiated, Linux is more of a shock to the system then Windows 8 so by all rights it should be even more detested by "Joe Average".

Linux has been free from the word go and even free it still hasn't found its way into the desktop segment of the industry in a significant way. So clearly free isn't necessarily the key to success here.

There is an old expression, "that which is aquired too easily is esteemed too lightly". Translation, people don't always value free stuff as much as some people might think.

If money were the only issue then maybe Linux would have taken over this segment of the industry a long time ago. If free Linux proves anything, it proves that people are willing to pay for Windows and forgo the free stuff,.....in droves,...

If people look for alternatives to Windows in significant numbers due to a new Windows subscription licensing initiative it only proves Microsoft pushed too hard. In all likelihood Microsoft would be more interested in amending such a move rather then lose users / customers. Microsoft is, after much ado, bringing back the Start menu after all which proves they can and will recant if properly motivated. I still remain unconvinced that subscription would be the only option although stranger things have happened.

How about this for strange, customers fighting for downgrade rights to Windows 8.1 to avoid Windows 10 subscriptions for as long as possible. who thought people would learn to love Windows 8.1 so much?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

If money were the only issue then maybe Linux would have taken over this segment of the industry a long time ago. If free Linux proves anything, it proves that people are willing to pay for Windows and forgo the free stuff,.....in droves,...

But money isn't the only issue. Pre-installed Linux systems such as Android and Chromebook may not be making a dent in Windows, but they're not being shunned, either.
said by Octavean:

How about this for strange, customers fighting for downgrade rights to Windows 8.1 to avoid Windows 10 subscriptions for as long as possible. who thought people would learn to love Windows 8.1 so much?

As someone who actually likes 8, I will be smiling that day.