uniqs
Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

1 edit

1 recommendation

Glen T to vue666

to vue666

Re: [WIN10] Windows 10 maybe a monthly subscription?

I still don't get the logistics of how this might work. I, for one, rarely upgrade an OS on a given box (with the exception of a Vista machine or two). I HAVE downgraded a couple. But the point is that I do NOT want to subscribe to an OS with the idea of automatically getting the latest from MS. I want stability on my machines. And there is usually no benefit to upgrading -- but lots of hassels trying to get the appropriate drivers.

And speaking of drivers, what happens with proprietary drivers from OEMs such as video chipset drivers on laptops that are not available from the chipset OEM? If MS upgrades your OS, is Dell obliged to supply the drivers that go with it, even 12 years after you bought the laptop?

So, leaving aside the idea of free upgrades, when would a subscription end and what happens when it does? Do you keep paying until you either a) cancel it or b) MS stops supporting it in 2023? And if you cancel it, then what happens? Does MS return to the idea of an OS license belonging to a person, rather than a particular box?

Even $5 per month adds up to big bucks if it continues for 20 years. And I think MS knows this.
sludgehound
join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

4 edits

sludgehound to vue666

to vue666
Link to Windows 10 Preparation Tool to alert user to Update Consumer Preview 10, RC and RTM. Tiny d/l.
»www.infopackets.com/news ··· ion-tool
Windows 7 Technical Preview seemed to have issue where updating to RC & RTM over it wouldn't carry over everything (warnings given). I reverted to Win 7 and everything later carried over ok thru MS Update for Windows 8. Unclear whether same deal this time so backing up existing Win 8.1 prior to CP 10. Maybe wait for RC. See reviews to decide. TenForums article for Tech Preview install walkthrough. Seems much like 7 to 8 fresh hard drive wipe. Biggest drag is to lose registry w/ all those nice GOTD entries. And always some delays by s/w upgrades like LastPass that wouldn't work for months.
Tech P expires April 15, 2015.
»www.tenforums.com/tutori ··· 085e4346
Expand your moderator at work

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Glen T

MVM

to Glen T

All very good questions.

We can only speculate at this point. Perhaps the driver model won't change significantly from Windows 8 to all future versions of 10? In which case, what is old is new again,.....

I know, I know, even I don't buy that there wouldn't be problems on such hardware.

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake to workablob

MVM

to workablob
said by workablob:

Glad you didn't fork over any Shekels for Win ME

I bought it for $17 on the day it launched. Worst $17 I ever spent.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

Kinda makes me want to create a VMWare machine and throw ME on there just to see what kind of trouble I can get into.

Merry Christmas!

Blob

Tel
join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC

Tel to seaquake

to seaquake
said by seaquake:

said by workablob:

I bought it for $17 on the day it launched. Worst $17 I ever spent.

I got it free at a Microsoft thing in Atlanta. Even free I felt like I'd been had. Sort of made the 4 hour round trip drive a bust.

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509 to vue666

to vue666
Would you buy a new car then rent the engine?

Mac OS is free upgrade to upgrade.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Apple no longer uses the "Mac" moniker with OS X.

As for it being free, it's more then likely quasi free. The cost of the OS is included in the cost of the hardware with respect to the calculated lifespan of the product as a whole.

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509

My Mac came with Leopard,then free to Lion...Mountain Lion...Maverick...Yosemite all no charge.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I don't recall when and what version of OS X first became quasi free. I have a vintage MBP which is now running Yosemite 10.10.1. If I were to sell this late 2008 (core 2 ) MBP it could probably Net about ~$700 give or take. There is no way such hardware is worth that. The resale value is high in part because the initial MSRP was high and in all likelihood the profit margin as well. Apple can make the OS free because of this. Apple doesn't need to charge for the OS because they have already made a tidy sum at the point of sale.

Microsoft could do this with the Surface line of products in a theory but they currently make their OS profits from the OS itself which makes this impractical for OEM systems where they do not profit off the hardware.
Glen T
BC

Glen T to Tel

to Tel
said by Tel:

A client bougth a Dell Dimension with ME on it. It crashed and hung constantly for the 3 years that he had it. Finally replaced the system and gave it to me. We put BSD on it and set it up as our CVS server. It has run continuously on my desk for 8 or 9 years without a hitch.
sludgehound
join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

sludgehound to sivran

to sivran
said by Octavean:
How about this for strange, customers fighting for downgrade rights to Windows 8.1 to avoid Windows 10 subscriptions for as long as possible. who thought people would learn to love Windows 8.1 so much?
As someone who actually likes 8, I will be smiling that day.
AGREE with liking 8.1.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by sludgehound:

said by Octavean:
How about this for strange, customers fighting for downgrade rights to Windows 8.1 to avoid Windows 10 subscriptions for as long as possible. who thought people would learn to love Windows 8.1 so much?
As someone who actually likes 8, I will be smiling that day.
AGREE with liking 8.1.

Again, to be clear, I don't necessarily like or dislike Windows 8 / 8.1. Generally speaking I am fairly neutral on it and thus I don't have any strong feelings about it either way. I know how to use it comfortably in its native form and that's all that really matters to me (understanding of the OS, proficiency with the OS and so on).

When I was learning to use Cisco iOS (not to be confused with Apple iOS) things were much the same in this respect,...although Cisco iOS was considerably more challenging to learn IMO whereas Windows 8 / 8.1 didn't seem all that different and came easy.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

I don't think I'd be "comfortable" with vanilla 8, at least on my desktop. I desire more organization than 8 (or for that matter, Windows 7. Jury's out on 10--haven't tried the preview) can offer without Classic Shell. It matters less on my other machines, where I have a smaller number of frequently-used applications.
Glen T
BC

Glen T

I simply find 8.1 annoying and a bit time wasting, since all my other machines are 7. Muscle memory and the fact that MS has not provided a one-step setup option for desktop users.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to sivran

MVM

to sivran
I just want to be able to hit the ground running regardless of what version of Windows is installed (or other OS that I use) without the need of helper programs. I've gotten used to installing only what I need. So for example there is no way I would install something like ClassicShell or the like on my Windows Server 2012 Essentials box when I don't need it.

I'm more bothered by things like Windows Activation (and Microsoft agenda software like the Windows Genuine initiative) as well as licensing management then anything else. I see Windows as a subscription service as just more of the things I don't want to deal with but now on a monthly or annual bases rather then a per install bases.
Expand your moderator at work

Tator
@68.190.49.x

-1 recommendation

Tator to Octavean

Anon

to Octavean

I hate upgrading OS unless there's something in the newer OS I need or want and will continue using WinXP as long as I can. However, I'll be forced to upgrade in a couple of years because Quickbooks won't install on WinXP beginning with the 2015 version of Quickbooks.

If anybody's interested, there's a link to the free classic shell for Windows 8 about half way down the page at »www.pcworld.com/article/2450068/···ine.html, and just below that it states those improvements make it as good as Windows 7 if you don't have a touch screen and further states it's faster than Windows 7 making it better. I'm considering this for my situation and hope to avoid any subscription based OS as long as possible. I've seen Windows 8.1 software and license for as little as $70 online.

plk
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
united state

plk to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
windows monthly subscription= bye bye windows
Sounds like a cluster F__k of a idea
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to tigerpaw509

to tigerpaw509
said by tigerpaw509:

I'd give up computing if I had to use a MAC as I much prefer to build my own computers...
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave to tigerpaw509

Premium Member

to tigerpaw509
said by tigerpaw509:

It's not entirely useful to compare the software price structure of a company that sells hardware to a company that sells software.

If Microsoft's business was built on selling computers, they might be in a position to regard software upgrades as something that they could give away to existing customers.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to vue666

MVM

to vue666
said by vue666:

said by tigerpaw509:

I'd give up computing if I had to use a MAC as I much prefer to build my own computers...

I suppose that speaks to your "need" to use computers in the first place. If its purely recreational or a therapeutic hobby then that statement is pragmatic. However, I assure you that there are many people who use computers for a living and they don't necessarily always have the luxury of choosing the computer hardware, software or OS that they use.

As I have stated before in other threads I know people who have been unceremoniously moved from XP to OS X at work in a "like it or lump it" kind of way.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

said by Octavean See Profile
I suppose that speaks to your "need" to use computers in the first place. If its purely recreational or a therapeutic hobby then that statement is pragmatic. However, I assure you that there are many people who use computers for a living and they don't necessarily always have the luxury of choosing the computer hardware, software or OS that they use.

As I have stated before in other threads I know people who have been unceremoniously moved from XP to OS X at work in a "like it or lump it" kind of way.
[/bquote :

It is mostly a hobby that is slowly becoming a modest source of income. I mostly dabble in photography, digital painting & 3D modeling/rendering...

See this thread as I posted some of my 3D work in it...

»Upgrade to Xeon 1230 or AMD 8370 for 3D rendering?

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi to plk

to plk
said by plk:

windows monthly subscription= bye bye windows
Sounds like a cluster F__k of a idea

Highly unlikely. Microsoft wont follow that suicidal path.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

I wonder if the rumor was leaked by Microsoft?

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

said by rfhar:

I wonder if the rumor was leaked by Microsoft?

Yeah. Market Research.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to Octavean

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

We can only speculate at this point. Perhaps the driver model won't change significantly from Windows 8 to all future versions of 10? In which case, what is old is new again,.....

If its anything like windows 8 to 8.1 probably. Heck don't most windows 7 drivers work on 8? Thats okay though, makes it easier for us.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by me1212:

said by Octavean:

If its anything like windows 8 to 8.1 probably. Heck don't most windows 7 drivers work on 8? Thats okay though, makes it easier for us.

I have an old HP 4600 series scanner that I must have bought in the XP / Vista days. It works fine in Windows 8 / 8.1 with the last Vista released drivers. This is or can be an endearing quality of Windows,.....even Windows 8 / 8.1. I should try it in the Windows 10 preview too.

I know it no longer works in the latest version of OS X though.

This is part of why I don't personally vilify Windows 8 / 8.1 and see no reason to beat the oft beaten dead Horse.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

1 recommendation

me1212

Thats one of the things I really like about windows compared to mac or linux. The drivers just work longer. May not always be optimal, but just getting it to work is the most important thing a lot of the time. Even with as hard on for linux as I am for myself, thats one area windows just wins in legacy support.