Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to sivran

MVM

to sivran

Re: [WIN10] Windows 10 maybe a monthly subscription?

said by sivran:

said by Octavean:

If money were the only issue then maybe Linux would have taken over this segment of the industry a long time ago. If free Linux proves anything, it proves that people are willing to pay for Windows and forgo the free stuff,.....in droves,...

But money isn't the only issue. Pre-installed Linux systems such as Android and Chromebook may not be making a dent in Windows, but they're not being shunned, either.
said by Octavean:

How about this for strange, customers fighting for downgrade rights to Windows 8.1 to avoid Windows 10 subscriptions for as long as possible. who thought people would learn to love Windows 8.1 so much?

As someone who actually likes 8, I will be smiling that day.

Fiar enough on all points,...

As far as I know Android is doing fairly well and Chromebook is certainly finding its niche. All of which may play a part in stagnating the growth of the traditional computer industry. For what its worth, I like Android and think Chrome OS has a lot of potential. However, Android and Chrome OS aren't typically free for the end user since they usually come preinstalled on devices that cost real money. If you have found a loophole in there somewhere then put me down for one free Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (a ~$750 value) and a free Chromebook (one of the more expensive ones based on a Core i3 or Core i5 if they make those),......

Point well taken though.

Although, now that I think about it, hasn't Microsoft made Windows free for smaller screen devices,..... 9" and below? Somehow I don't see Microsoft charging subscription fees for a phone OS or a tablet OS.

Personally I never really had any significant issues with Windows 8 / 8.1 / 8.1 Update 1. I have a when in Rome approach in that I have no issues running Windows 8 / 8.1 / 8.1 Update 1 natively and then switching back and forth between them as well as Windows 7, OS X, Android, iOS and so on.

I also don't think I would be willing to sacrifice a Windows 8.x license to upgrade to Windows 10 especially so if it is subscription based.
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to vue666

to vue666
if the subscription is 15 cents a month then ya its fantastic
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

1 edit

DarkSithPro (banned) to vue666

to vue666
I don't think I've paid for a retail, or OEM copy of Windows since 2001, when XP was released. That is when I stopped building my custum desktops and started buying pre-built ones and laptops. I just use whatever OS is installed on the machine and deal with it. If 7 and 8.1 is good for another 5-8 years then I'll have 10 long before that when I buy another machine in the next 5 years. If it's monthly subscription based I will switch to a Macintosh platform, if yearly I would seriously consider. Linux IMO is not good enough yet for me as a desktop replacement to Windows.

OverBurn
join:2004-02-21
Greenwood, IN

OverBurn to vue666

to vue666
I'll never use a month charge OS, NEVER EVER!

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

1 recommendation

aurgathor

Would yearly charges be acceptable?

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

howardfine to Octavean

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

Linux hasn't set the world on fire yet

On the desktop. Windows is virtually non-existant everywhere else.

I don't know how many will turn to Linux but I know many who will go to Apple.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran
said by sivran:

I would balk at it unless it were pretty damn cheap. ...

Unfortunately, I don't see how it can ever be "pretty d*** cheap". Microsoft has income targets and expectations for its present OS products. Currently, that's predicated on the probable lifespan of those "sold" products (whether OEM or end-point) and the sales revenue. If they move to a subscription model, they'll simply take the amortized expectations of income as presently handled for sold products and convert that directly into a monthly charge for rented products. At best, it'll end up costing the same equivalent per month... but, at worst, it'll increase (in the manner that things always do when major changes are implemented by large organizations). Moreover, it gives them an opportunity to increase the monthlies whenever they want on out into the future...
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

The minute a new PC ships with an OS I have to pay a subscription for is the same minute I wipe that OS off.

I imagine the OEMs are going to get pissy about that, too.

"Buy a Dell PC and it costs me $X/month to use it?"

Though maybe not - it works for a large slice of the TV market.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean

MVM

said by dave:

said by Thaler:

The minute a new PC ships with an OS I have to pay a subscription for is the same minute I wipe that OS off.

I imagine the OEMs are going to get pissy about that, too.

"Buy a Dell PC and it costs me $X/month to use it?"

Though maybe not - it works for a large slice of the TV market.

In some cases I think it could create a new disposable PC market. If the computer is cheap enough when purchased and the OEM's add something like a 1yr subscription with the price of the PC, it might be very tempting to simply junk it after 12 months.

Keep in mind that OEM's are often cut a hell of a deal on Windows licenses so the same could happen for subscriptions too. So subscriptions for OEM systems could be comparatively dirt cheap.

So a one, two or possibly even three year sub included with an OEM system might be something we see. A lot of people will replace a system in 3yrs anyway so it could be a quasi painless transition for some people provided they upgrade on such a cadence.

Personally I think the whole thing stinks of unnecessary change and boundless greed. I'm not liking it one bit,...

I don't like the idea of a ticking clock counting down to "pay up or your computer becomes useless". It feels like an evil hack extortion attempt,....by some snot nosed script kiddy,...

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to SilentMan

Premium Member

to SilentMan
said by SilentMan:

Yeah! There will always be Linux, totally free. MS would be crazy if they would move Windows to a subscription basis and piss off their millions of customers.

Not only that, but look at the accounting and security (of our credit card etc numbers as payment info) issues and administrative costs which it would cause them.

And you think that they would not try to pass those costs along to us too ?
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to chip89

to chip89
Where did MS ever try subscription on xp?

I had xp pro and home both literally from the first day of release full retail packaging. I also installed xp home and or pro oem on hell i don't know 300 to 400 custom built desktops.
Nanaki

1 recommendation

Nanaki (banned) to Octavean

to Octavean
Linux will never take over the market not so long as it has 100s of different variants. The single reason for this is no one makes mass market programs for it. Nor do they make high end graphics and 3d programs for it. No major games for it no cult hits like final fantasy 7 that was just insanely popular on pc and playstation.. Games and high end graphics, audio etc programs is what dictates what os will have what market share.

Look at mac they have the second highest spot and also have the second highest number of high end programs and games. Many games include mac and windows versions as do many programs on the same install media.
Nanaki

Nanaki (banned) to aurgathor

to aurgathor
Depends on the cost. I would not flinch at a 100 to 150 a year monthly so long as there was constant and consistent development.
Nanaki

1 recommendation

Nanaki (banned) to howardfine

to howardfine
Id go to linux long long long before i would even think about a mac or any thing from apple for that matter.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

....Personally I think the whole thing stinks of unnecessary change and boundless greed. I'm not liking it one bit,...

I don't like the idea of a ticking clock counting down to "pay up or your computer becomes useless".

It feels like an evil hack extortion attempt,....by some snot nosed script kiddy,...

....or a pudgy little fellow called Boris, only in today's world.
CmmTch
join:2002-08-10
High Ridge, MO

CmmTch to vue666

to vue666
The alleged subscription service sounds like part of the goal to move everything to the cloud. There will be nothing left that is resident on any device other than a shortcut to that program on the cloud. It already started with smart phones, iPads, a subscription to Office, and who knows what else is presently in the works.

mrpuck
Premium Member
join:2000-08-10
Concord, MA

mrpuck to NoOneCares

Premium Member

to NoOneCares
As long as it's cheaper than Netflix!
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11 to howardfine

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

I'm going to pay 3x more for the same PC hardware from Apple, just to save a few bucks on the OS? No thanks!

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Wily_One

Premium Member

said by clocks11:

said by howardfine:

I'm going to pay 3x more for the same PC hardware from Apple, just to save a few bucks on the OS? No thanks!

Yeah people dumb enough to do that...   already own a Mac.  Plus those same people buy every upgrade that comes out of Apple, so they are in effect paying for a "subscription" anyway.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11

Not to go off topic.....Apple builds some really nice hardware, but oh man do they charge a premium for it!

I'm just too cheap to ever go that direction. lol

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

Yes they excel at design, but like you say you pay more for less, on a per component basis.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

1 recommendation

chip89 to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
XP was supposed to be a subscription. That's why the name is Windows Experience. »www.zdnet.com/article/th ··· -failed/ (Look at 2)

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

1 recommendation

iNick to workablob

Premium Member

to workablob
said by workablob:

said by Boricua:

said by workablob:

There is also a rumour that myself and others will avoid it. Of course I have never paid for a Windows OS. They have all just fallen in my lap.

Blob

To date, I've only paid for Win2K and Win7 .

Those are both good values. Glad you didn't fork over any Shekels for Win ME

Blob

Back in the day when I was still in Elementary School, My Mom got a brand new Gateway PC as she claims top of the line PC which I bet she paid good money for. So I remember watching TV a few weeks later and seeing Microsoft talking about Windows 2000 & I'm like HA We got the Upgraded Version of that called Windows ME (I was little didn't know much lol) Til' I found out Windows 2000 was a much better OS then Windows ME which was terrible as heck.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

Kramer to vue666

Mod

to vue666
I am fairly sure Windows will be available for those that want to buy it. Dell isn't going to be selling PCs with subscriptions to the operating system. I would not be surprised to see Windows offered as a subscription, particularly bundled with Office. The Office 365 subscription has become quite a deal when you consider that it also includes a virtually unlimited amount of cloud storage. The author mentions an $180 price point which I think is way too high. Something in the $120 region would make more sense. I also like the idea that Windows may be given away for free with additional features added by subscription. That makes a lot of sense when you are trying to preserve your territory.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

However, if Microsoft goes the subscription route with Windows 10, I think it highly unlikely that would be the only option for legally procuring the OS. An outright purchase option may still be offered but comparatively speaking it would likely seem cost prohibitive in the short term.

Office used to be licensed to me, now, is licensed to the specific computer I install it on, upgrade your computer, need a new license

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

3 recommendations

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by kevinds:

said by Octavean:

However, if Microsoft goes the subscription route with Windows 10, I think it highly unlikely that would be the only option for legally procuring the OS. An outright purchase option may still be offered but comparatively speaking it would likely seem cost prohibitive in the short term.

Office used to be licensed to me, now, is licensed to the specific computer I install it on, upgrade your computer, need a new license

Which is why my wife's aging laptop now carries LibreOffice instead of MS Office. I will never, ever pay for application software locked to a specific computer... it's irrational.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

2 recommendations

goalieskates to Kramer

Premium Member

to Kramer
said by Kramer:

The Office 365 subscription has become quite a deal when you consider that it also includes a virtually unlimited amount of cloud storage.

Only a "deal" if you use cloud storage, which many of us don't. Given that OpenOffice / LibreOffice are free, it's a ridiculous overcharge.

Just sayin'.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude to NoOneCares

Premium Member

to NoOneCares
said by NoOneCares:

I'm staying away from any software that has a yearly or monthly charge. I'll stick with what I have. I'm getting too close to retirement to want to have any recurring garbage.

Sounds like me, but don't stay there forever. Go Linux, Mac OS X, etc.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

In some cases I think it could create a new disposable PC market.

Prices would then have to descend to match. $200 for an HP Stream now? Better be $100 for the next Windows Chromebook, or less. Maybe $60? I dunno.

Basically, I think a subscription based OS is a slippery slope of a short-sighted money grab. If my OS/Office install is going to run me $100 a year, that's about the same amount of money (3x times, for the product life) I'll expect to see knocked off my machine.
Thaler

Thaler to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

Yeah people dumb enough to do that...   already own a Mac.  Plus those same people buy every upgrade that comes out of Apple, so they are in effect paying for a "subscription" anyway.

The prices Apple asked for OS upgrades never hurt my wallet as much as Windows prices. They get their money at the door when you buy the hardware anyways. They're just asking for micro transaction gravy.