uniqs
gw280
join:2013-10-01
Canada
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-8

gw280

Switching from TekSavvy to Rogers - some questions

Hello all!

I have a couple of questions about switching from TekSavvy to Rogers cable.

- I presume I'll need to cancel my current service with TekSavvy before setting up a new one with Rogers (I'm on TekSavvy's cable offering). Is there anything special I need to do here?

- The Rogers "Advanced WiFi Modem" - how good is it in bridged mode? I have a pretty decent network infrastructure in my house and I'm only interested in the modem itself. I've searched around and found some posts from a while back that state that bridging mode is unreliable but nothing recent. Can anyone confirm how well this works?

- My understanding is that with Rogers cable you normally get two public IPs available to you if you put a switch on the modem and have two computers connected directly to that modem (hence the "Computers Allowed by Service Provider: 2" line I see in my DCM476). Is this still the case with current Rogers offerings, and is it possible with the "Advanced WiFi Modem" that Rogers offers? I'm looking to get the 250/20 option if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

George

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

1. Going Rogers to TekSavvy the answer is generally "yes you have to cancel first" (you can get around this with some address hacking) but going the other I'm not so sure. No doubt if you call Rogers and ask them to come install Internet service they'll do it regardless. Funny that.

2. It's fine. Guys are getting 350/20 on the 250/20 plan with the CGN3 in bridge mode. You have to make sure it's running 4.2.4.3 or later. Anything before that and it'll crash within 24 hours of being put into bridge mode and need a reboot every 24 hours thereafter. Running 4.2.4.3 it's stable in bridge mode and has no issues.

If it comes with anything less than 4.2.4.3 just leave it in router mode for about 24-72 hours and the CMTS will update it automatically. There isn't anything you can do to force an update, unfortunately.

As of right now 4.2.4.3 is the current firmware so you should get this out of the box with an installer delivered modem OR get it pretty soon thereafter with a new activation. My CGN3 updated about 2 minutes after it was first connected (came with a 4.1.x firmware iirc).

3. It is. You can have up to two IP's at a time with Rogers, locked to the MAC addresses of up to two computers / devices that have requested the IP's in the first place. You can flush the MAC locks by power cycling the modem.

With the CGN3 this works fine. You also don't need a switch - you can just connect two devices to two of the 4 gigabit LAN ports on the CGN3 and it'll hand out the public IP's that way.
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink to gw280

Premium Member

to gw280
Most of what SimplePanda has said is bang on. You will need a gigabit switch, router or firewall at the present time if any of your wired devices only have 10/100 Mb/s ports. There is a firmware bug in the present firmware version that throttles down the CGN3 port to about 35 Mb/s if that port is connected to a 10/100 Mb/s device or ethernet cable. The gigabit switch, router or firewall will buffer both the CGN3 and connected device, allowing them to run at their max data rates for the plan that you will be on. There is a firmware update arriving soon, apparently before the end of the year, which will hopefully rectify this problem and others. Personal opinion, it should happen soon. Releasing a firmware update during the holiday season seems like a less than sensible thing to do. But, hey, you never know till you try I guess.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
FYI you do not need to cancel Teksavvy first. You can have TPIA and Rogers service at the same address. Two Rogers connections at one address is the only situation that would require fiddling with their addresses.
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink to gw280

Premium Member

to gw280
CGN3 Firmware Version 4.2.4.5 has been released. This will hopefully resolve the issue of the CGN3 port throttling issue when a 10/100 device or cable is connected to it. In theory, a gigabit switch, router or firewall won't be necessary to buffer the CGN3 port from a 10/100 device or cable. I haven't seen any test results from anyone yet, so its to early to know if this has been addressed or not.