All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
avze
join:2013-08-19

avze

[iPhone] Downgrade to a iPhone 5S?

Hello guys - Well, I guess I am suffering from buyers remorse here.
Before I go back and swap out my iPhone 6 to a 5S (in which they would let me do) what are your thoughts?
Its just way way too thin. And I am not a big fan of cases quite frankly.
5S has a more better form factor than the 6.

Please be honest. If its NOT worth the downgrade and would be better to just move forward into the future then I will keep the iPhone 6. No worries.
But would it be just silly to downgrade or should I keep the 6?
Just like bulky size of the 5S as opposed to the extra slim style.

Please let me know your inputs before I tell the shop to get one in for me.

I read many articles that many people much prefer the 5S over the 6.

And my concern is, how long will the 5S be supported by Apple or app developers?
Expand your moderator at work

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to avze

Premium Member

to avze

Re: [iPhone] Downgrade to a iPhone 5S?

I was torn between upgrading to a 5s (from a 5) or to a 6 precisely because of the size so I understand where you're coming from. I went with the 6 primarily because of the better camera; if it weren't for that, I probably would have gone with the 5s. I don't mind the thin-ness of the 6 but it's just a tad too big for me.

Ultimately, it comes down what works best for you, whatever the reasons. Only YOU know what YOU will be happy with.

As far as support, iOS 8 is currently supported back to the 4s so I would guess the iPhone 5s will be good for another two major versions (iOS 10). At that point, you just don't update the OS anymore and continue using it. Eventually (and it doesn't happen over night or even after several months) SOME apps will no longer be supported on anything less than that iOS. Unfortunately there's no predicting which apps or for how long.
avze

avze

Ok, Ill keep the 6 then.
Shop owner just called me. They don't have the 32gb versions anyway. Only 16gb.

Thanks - Not now, but I may even consider a case down the line.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

said by avze:

Shop owner just called me. They don't have the 32gb versions anyway. Only 16gb.

Yup, that's all that is available now for the 5S which has been relegated to the "low cost for the kids" or basic user category from the standpoint of marketing...

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to avze

to avze
said by avze:

Just like bulky size of the 5S as opposed to the extra slim style.

Why not just get a case to bulk it up? You'll have a like-new phone to sell or trade when the 6S or 7 is released.

I spent a couple of years with the 3GS, with its rounded edges, and I too find that I like the 5's square edge better. If I got the 6 I would look for a case with a square edge, although as a pocket-carrier I am not a fan of the bigger size to begin with.
avze

avze

Yep, I think I do need a case.
Is the 6S going to be as slim as the 6?
Anyone know?
Don't think there are any leaked images yet.

I think the 6 is a "flop" so to speak. Who agrees here with me?
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

7 recommendations

rugby

said by avze:

Nobody on earth.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

bjf123 to avze

Premium Member

to avze
The first time I picked up a 6, I didn't like the form factor, either. It seemed too thin and slippery. I've had an iPhone from the first model and have used a case for every one except the first. I do like somewhat low profile cases, just something to protect the back and sides. I got a new 6 last week and immediately put it in the Tech21 case. It no longer feels too think or slippery. Now, I love the phone and would never think of going back to my 5.
Expand your moderator at work

dscl
join:2001-07-15
Suwanee, GA

dscl to avze

to avze

Re: [iPhone] Downgrade to a iPhone 5S?

You have had the phone for a little over two weeks and have been worried about things that might happen.

1. Dying battery
2. Dead pixels
3. Need a case because you will drop it
4. Warrenties

Maybe best bet would be to get another phone, not a jab just saying maybe this is not the phone for you.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to avze

Premium Member

to avze
said by avze:

Even though it's slightly too big for my hands, it's far from being a flop.

Overall "reachability" helps (though it doesn't work in all cases, such as when you want to move the app icons around ), the camera takes great photos/videos, and the larger display for the notifications/today/widgets screens is great. I still tend to grip the phone in a way that when I lock it I'm actually turning the volume down but practice should make perfect

So, no, not a flop but if you think it is then you should probably be seeking out a new phone as soon as possible because it sounds like you don't like yours very much.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to avze

MVM

to avze
Hasn't it outsold all prior iPhones so far?

No phone is perfect but it seems just a few people think it's pretty good. Not my definition of a flop.
avze

avze

I guess I meant that iOS 8 itself is a flop. Sorry, but I think Apple messed up on iOS 8.
All I read is updates after updates and things still do not work for most out here.

But yes, eventually I will need a case.
Its a pretty elegant looking style, but holding it is another different story....

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

1 recommendation

Nezmo

MVM

said by avze:

I guess I meant that iOS 8 itself is a flop. Sorry, but I think Apple messed up on iOS 8.
All I read is updates after updates and things still do not work for most out here.

Well, everything I have read of yours is concern about the physical phone shape, etc. Naturally I thought that was what you were referring to.

But no, iOS 8 is not a flop either. Does it have issues, yep. More than other versions? I don't know. But hardly a flop.

For the record, I'm no Apple apologist, far from it

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff to avze

MVM,

to avze
said by avze:

All I read is updates after updates ...

Most people consider regular updates, that usually fix security issues or introduce new features, a good thing.

If you don't like updates, a cheap Android phone might be better for you.

(Shameless, I know.. but it was sitting right there )

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

2 recommendations

Majestik to avze

Premium Member

to avze
I would guess you are or going to be a total mess when you buy a car or home.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

This

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to avze

to avze
said by avze:

things still do not work for most out here

I suspect a problem with your methodology. For one, the subjects are self-selected. No doubt they have problems, but when used properly "most" means >50% of the installed base, and if that were the case Apple's stock would drop like a PowerBook 5300.

That's why they watch for problems and get on them. I take issue with plenty of stuff Apple does (and does not), but updates haven't been part of that stuff. It's their lack of transparency that is a problem, which is a byproduct of the way our intellectual property system is maintained. But that's a topic for another day, and probably another forum.

enon
@172.56.29.x

enon to avze

Anon

to avze
said by avze:

All I read is updates after updates and things still do not work for most out here

said by avze:

I read many articles that many people much prefer the 5S over the 6.

To be blunt: who cares what the articles say? Does it work for you? Do you like it? That's really all that matters.
avze

avze

I had done it!!!! Got the 5S...

I just would like to say, that what a RELIEF!!!
I can actually pick up my phone with one hands from the table.
The 6 was too big and too thin.
Just like the form factor of the 5S. Enough said. Theeeee perfect size. But that's just me. Sorry.
Lets see how the 6S will do. But for now, the 5S is a keeper.

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

whatever!

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to avze

MVM

to avze
said by avze:

I had done it!!!! Got the 5S...

Oh man. So I guess you haven't heard about the Sleep/Wake Button issues on the 5S then.

avze

1 edit

avze

So be it. I like the size and has more grip to it than the 6.
That's just me. Just couldn't handle the extra thin slippery grip on the 6.
Big deal, I'm happy with no regret. Glad I made the downgrade.

The sleep/wake button issue was on the 5 and not the 5S

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by avze:

So be it. I like the size and has more grip to it than the 6.
That's just me. Just couldn't handle the extra thin slippery grip on the 6.
Big deal, I'm happy with no regret. Glad I made the downgrade.

The sleep/wake button issue was on the 5 and not the 5S

Just messing with you. Don't take me seriously.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to avze

Premium Member

to avze
I thought you'd be happier with the 5s Glad you figured out which one you're happiest with
avze

avze

Yeah, I'm really happy with the 5S due its perfect size.
No regrets at all.

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to avze

to avze
Seems like someone who feels the need to constantly justify it still has doubts in their mind.

kfsutops
Premium Member
join:2002-08-19
Lutz, FL

kfsutops to bjf123

Premium Member

to bjf123
said by bjf123:

The first time I picked up a 6, I didn't like the form factor, either. It seemed too thin and slippery. I've had an iPhone from the first model and have used a case for every one except the first. I do like somewhat low profile cases, just something to protect the back and sides. I got a new 6 last week and immediately put it in the Tech21 case. It no longer feels too think or slippery. Now, I love the phone and would never think of going back to my 5.

I had to do the same thing. Love the 6+. It was really big at first, now it feels normal. But the stupid thing was slippery without a case. Had my phone two weeks and for the first time I cracked a screen. I have had iPhones since the first one and never dropped and broke a screen. The 6+ wasn't two weeks old.

So I definitely recommend a case. But once you are used tot he phone it's a great phone

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik

Premium Member

Soon as I took my 6 plus out of the box two weeks ago I applied the tempered glass screen protector and put the Amzer Crusta case on.
Large screen size to read without glasses,battery,and resale is my thing.
I'm averaging 2-3 days between charges.