Search similar:

uniqs
Robyn79
Premium Member
join:2014-12-09

Robyn79

Premium Member

Moronic Questions - Feel Free To Roll Your Eyes If You Have Answers

OK - did well hooking up my Powerline to a computer. Now I'm working on TVs. I understand how it works on TVs with ethernet ports - but the TV in my kitchen doesn't have an ethernet port (it has 2 HDMI ports and a USB port). I run cable through one HDMI port - and an Amazon TV Fire Stick on the other. Can I use a Powerline on that TV - and - if so - how do I hook up the connections? Robyn

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

You cannot use the powerline on that TV. If that TV was a Smart TV THEN You could use powerline on the Smart TV.
RemyL75
join:2001-06-07
Chicago, IL

RemyL75 to Robyn79

to Robyn79
You need a Smart TV or at least a TV that has internet connectivity and for those, you usually would not need the power line connector because wi-fi is usually built-in.
Robyn79
Premium Member

Robyn79

Premium Member

The TV isn't a smart TV. But I was talking about hooking up the powerline to a Roku 3 ethernet port - and connecting the Roku to the TV via an HDMI connection. Robyn

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

2 edits

mozerd

MVM

said by Robyn79:

But I was talking about hooking up the powerline to a Roku 3 ethernet port - and connecting the Roku to the TV via an HDMI connection. Robyn

Yes that may work ... The only problem is the electrical circuit in the kitchen may be different than the electrical circuit the other powerline is connected to so your kitchen powerline connection may not work as well as you may like it too. Give it a try and see what happens. Powerline adapters work best when the electrical circuit being utilized for the powerline is on the same breaker switch.
Robyn79
Premium Member

Robyn79

Premium Member

Now that is something interesting that I didn't know. The kitchen - and - indeed - most of the rest of the house (including my husband's home office - where I've installed a powerline) - well they're all on different circuits than the one where the "mother" powerline is connected (in my home office). I'm too lazy to go out now and check the number of circuits we have here (but it's easily more than a dozen).

And - when we built the house - all the circuits were done as "home runs". I don't know exactly what that means. But it kind of implies to me that all of these circuits are somewhat independent of each other.

I guess the moral of the story is don't always blame your equipment when it doesn't work as well as it does for someone else. And that wiring stuff can be pretty complicated! Robyn

hmishra
Premium Member
join:2006-01-04
Flower Mound, TX

hmishra

Premium Member

For powerline devices to communicate with each other, having to be on the same circuit breaker is absolutely not a requirement.

I have 4 such devices currently connected across 3 different circuit breakers and they all work at least as fast as wireless 'N' equivalent speeds with the added advantage of being much less susceptible to fluctuation unlike wifi. So it is very likely that powerline will indeed work for you. You are likely to be more satisfied with the newer ones which are rated to operate at 500 mbps or even 600 mbps signaling speeds compared to the older 200 mbps ones.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by hmishra:

For powerline devices to communicate with each other, having to be on the same circuit breaker is absolutely not a requirement.

I imagine that being on the same phase, or "leg" would work best? Modern residential electric is two phase; with phase A to neutral providing 110 VAC, phase B to neutral providing 110 VAC, and phase A to phase B providing 220 VAC.