spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ElBx User
@72.55.158.x

ElBx User

Anon

[Cable] SUSPICIOUS - Internet usage values went up on the new ElBx meter

Since Electronicbox announced a new meter for the internet usage, my bills are much higher without any significant change in my actual internet use. It looks like I spent 100 Gb more than I used to based on the old Videotron meter.

I can't trust that, especially knowing that two my friends, who also use the Electronicbox, got the same issue.

Did anyone check the quality of the new meter?
Are there any coefficients used for peak time periods?
Maybe this is just a way to make more money?

I'm sure I won't be alone complaining to the new usage meter.
jf_pb
join:2011-09-19
Montreal, QC

jf_pb

I've contacted Industry Canada (they are responsible for the accuracy of other utility measurement apparatus) about this issue and got the following response:

```
Nous vous remercions de nous faire part de vos préoccupations concernant la facturation d’Internet à l’utilisation et de la validité des compteurs.

Mesures Canada est responsable de l’administration et de l’application de la Loi sur les poids et mesures et du Règlement concernant les poids et mesures. La Loi ne traite pas explicitement des appareils qui mesurent la consommation de bande passante et qui sont utilisés pour la facturation d’Internet à l’utilisation. À ce titre, Mesures Canada ne réglemente pas l’exactitude de la mesure de la consommation de bande passante.

Vous pouvez faire part de vos préocupations en communiquant avec le Commissaire aux plaintes relatives aux services de télécommunication à l'addresse suivante : »www.ccts-cprst.ca/fr/.
```

Basically they say the law doesn't explicitly cover ISP, that I can take my complain to the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS) »www.ccts-cprst.ca.

JF

Ebox_Eric
join:2012-04-07

Ebox_Eric to ElBx User

to ElBx User
Can you pm me your account details there may be an error in our systems and we may not be seeing your own usage. I will look into this.

ElBx User
@72.55.158.x

ElBx User

Anon

said by Ebox_Eric:

Can you pm me your account details there may be an error in our systems and we may not be seeing your own usage. I will look into this.

My account number is BI12 and I NEVER passed the 250Gb cap before October 2014.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

My account is accurate given the new flow counter.

Videotron's counter was often not as accurate, at least for my account.

Ebox_Eric

Ebox_Eric to ElBx User

to ElBx User
There are difference between both tools. Our tool is actually usually quite accurate and has the advantage of being monitored on an hourly basis where as the old tool was only updated 3 or 4 times a day.
One main reason for seeing a difference in usage on both tools is that our tool checks with your IP through our own router and see's all the incoming and outgoing traffic even the one blocked on your end. Where as the old tool would not show the blocked traffic.
Also the old tool's end of day was not at midnight precisely but close to about 10pm so any traffic happening between10pm and midnight would only show up on the following day.
Ebox_Eric

Ebox_Eric to ElBx User

to ElBx User
Ok so I went over your account and I believe I may have found out why. I tried calling you how ever I was unable to reach you. I would like to know what IP address you are getting and also could you confirm your modems mac address this can be found on the bottom of your modem. Send this information in a private message on here.

vovan4ik
@72.55.158.x

vovan4ik to ElBx User

Anon

to ElBx User
I have the same problem.
I check my internet usage 1 time in 3-5 months (average 150GB), but 2 days ago I got the invoice bigger then usually. I checked the internet usage on electronicbox side (they modified this section. now I can see only current month and previous ) last month was over limit a bit.
I called to customer service. He said they changed the internet meter in October. It works more accurate. Accurate on 100 GB LOL
On the main page of electronicbox just one advertise about super offpeak +5$ unlimeted between 2h and 14h

Maybe it's their strategy to force people to buy super offpeak and extra GB.

On internet page said Unbeatable pricing Unmatched services
TekSavvy offers Cable 20 (Up to 20 Mbps Down / 10 Mbps Up) the same as mine for the same price 47.95$, BUT WITH BANDWITH 300GB comparing 250GB ElectronicBox.
It looks like ElectronicBox beaten.

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

2 recommendations

diskace

Premium Member

said by vovan4ik :

Maybe it's their strategy to force people to buy super offpeak and extra GB.

On internet page said Unbeatable pricing Unmatched services
TekSavvy offers Cable 20 (Up to 20 Mbps Down / 10 Mbps Up) the same as mine for the same price 47.95$, BUT WITH BANDWITH 300GB comparing 250GB ElectronicBox.
It looks like ElectronicBox beaten.

How can we take comments like yours seriously ? Do you seriously think our new meter was designed to screw people over ? Honestly.....i was all over the place to explain details about this project. Maybe some companies are tricking values but we're not playing with that and show proof is the community here agree values reported are extremely close to what they can monitor on their own meter. So, that being said please learn to read history before posting comments that only spread confusion among the community.

Thanks

vovan4ik
@72.55.158.x

vovan4ik

Anon

I'm your client since Mar 2013.
I've never had problem with over-usage.
I called your customer center. We checked together my monthly average for last a couple months.
Wasn't more 200 GB.
If I could check my history myself, I'd say so. I have my doubts. I can see only usage for last and current months. If the over-usage was just me.
I only want you to investigate why.

Regards,

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace

Premium Member

Follow up with Ebox_Eric, he is helping you and try to reach you.

vovan4ik
@72.55.158.x

vovan4ik

Anon

Thank you so much

Ebox_Eric

Ebox_Eric to vovan4ik

to vovan4ik
Can you send me a pm with your client code or postal code and full name please. I will look into this.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to Ebox_Eric

to Ebox_Eric
said by Ebox_Eric:

Send this information in a private message on here.

Anonymous users cannot send private messages. The person you're trying to help will have to create a DSLReports account first or find some other way to get in touch with you.
nster
join:2013-12-15
H4P

nster to ElBx User

to ElBx User
No it's not a way to make more money, there are no coefficients for peak and yes they did extensive testing including beta testing with the community

@vovan4ik

Errors can happen, but overall, the new meter is much better, more accurate, on average reports a slightly lower bandwidth total for me and just more useful in general

If there is a problem with your meter, let EBOX help you resolve this issue, instead of putting out serious accusations

How would you feel if I was accusing you of being a fraud and advertiser of Teksavvy simply because of your posts here without having more information than I do now?

vovan4ik
@72.55.158.x

vovan4ik

Anon

nster,
I just want justice. My average usage increase on 50%. without reasons. I didn't change my habits.
For 18 months never had more than 200G.
I just want to understand how from 3 GB changed to 5GB.
I started monitoring every day my internet usage. I'm thinking if nothing changed, I need to switch provider.
What would you do on my place?
vovan4ik
join:2014-12-11
canada

vovan4ik to Ebox_Eric

to Ebox_Eric
Hi Eric,
I just test, if it's PM
vovan4ik

vovan4ik to Ebox_Eric

to Ebox_Eric
Hi Eric,
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to vovan4ik

to vovan4ik
To send him a PM, click on his user name and enter your message in the yellow "instant message" box.

JEDI
join:2005-04-11
Longueuil

JEDI to nster

to nster
said by nster:

No it's not a way to make more money, there are no coefficients for peak and yes they did extensive testing including beta testing with the community

@vovan4ik

Errors can happen, but overall, the new meter is much better, more accurate, on average reports a slightly lower bandwidth total for me and just more useful in general

If there is a problem with your meter, let EBOX help you resolve this issue, instead of putting out serious accusations

How would you feel if I was accusing you of being a fraud and advertiser of Teksavvy simply because of your posts here without having more information than I do now?

+1 New meter is much more reliable than the terrible Vidéotron counter.

Error can happen but saiyng ebox did it (if ther eis an error) on purpose with no proof is quite bold and not fair

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to ElBx User

to ElBx User
I monitor my bandwidth at the router level and found the Ebox meter than to be extremely accurate and reliable. More than VL's tool.
thestealth
Premium Member
join:2009-11-10
Saint-Hubert, QC

thestealth

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

I monitor my bandwidth at the router level and found the Ebox meter than to be extremely accurate and reliable. More than VL's tool.

I do this as well and get the same results as TigerLord, very accurate results from the Ebox's meter.
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere to vovan4ik

to vovan4ik
It would be completely idiotic for Ebox to do something like this on purpose and, to be honest, they really do not strike me as the type of company that would do this - not even close.

They have been completely open, honest and transparent in all dealings I have had with them.

If you have a discrepancy, you should contact them with your personal details and them the chance to investigate. There may be some problem that's affecting your usage count.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Or.... OPs network actually used that bandwidth.
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere

I never said he didn't. Just gave my opinion and gave him the benefit of the doubt.
nster
join:2013-12-15
H4P

nster to iamhere

to iamhere
said by iamhere:

It would be completely idiotic for Ebox to do something like this on purpose and, to be honest, they really do not strike me as the type of company that would do this - not even close.

They have been completely open, honest and transparent in all dealings I have had with them.

Agreed, many people are with EBOX instead of competitors because they see this honesty and transparency as a good plus to have. Personally, now that I have had the chance to appreciate this aspect more, I absolutely love it.
LanAdmin
join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

1 edit

LanAdmin to vovan4ik

to vovan4ik
For me, Ebox meter is always lower than Videotron or my router.

Ebox »consocable.electronicbox ··· p?lng=en
Videotron »extranet.videotron.com/s ··· nput.jsp
said by Ebox_Eric:

...Our tool is ... being monitored on an hourly basis...

...Also the old tool's end of day was not at midnight precisely but close to about 10pm so any traffic happening between10pm and midnight would only show up on the following day.

djino
join:2013-04-16
Gatineau, QC

djino to ElBx User

to ElBx User
Any issues with the Meter today? I haven't seen any updates since 8am this morning.

djino
EyEvil
join:2014-08-18
Longueuil, QC

EyEvil to ElBx User

to ElBx User
I noticed too.

JEDI
join:2005-04-11
Longueuil

JEDI

Me too