Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

donoreo

Premium Member

Let's celebrate the anniversary of the Statute of Westminster

Today in 1931 it was given Royal Assent.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

Re: Let's celebrate the anniversarty of the Statute of Westminster

Looks like someone uses Google Calendar with Canadian "holidays".

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Yes, yes I do

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Legislative downloading from one group to another, still it shifted power closer to the people in Canada which is a good thing.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

DKS to donoreo

to donoreo
Hear ! Hear! And a round of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow"!

kingb71
join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

kingb71 to IamGimli

to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

Ya, I saw that too and wondered what that was

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by kingb71:

said by IamGimli:

What?!?!?
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Here's a PDF copy of the original from the UK Parliament point of view.
»www.legislation.gov.uk/u ··· 4_en.pdf

And from the Canadian government.
»canada.justice.gc.ca/eng ··· 171.html
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to kingb71

Premium Member

to kingb71
said by kingb71:

Building upon resolutions passed at the Imperial Conferences of 1926 and 1930, Canada and other dominions of the then British Empire sought to gain formal recognition of their autonomy from the United Kingdom. In the 50 years since Confederation and having attained a true sense of nationhood at the Battle of Vimy Ridge in 1917, Canada actively worked for such recognition of its autonomy to be expressed both at home and on the international stage.

This was to find expression through the granting of legislative equal status for all the self-governing dominions. The Statute of Westminster, 1931 --- an act of the British Parliament --- affirmed Canadian autonomy and recognized the virtual independence of the dominions that, for all intents and purposes, had existed in principle since World War I and the Treaty of Versailles that followed.

Beyond marking a truly significant milestone in our evolution as an independent nation, the Statute of Westminster, 1931 can be seen, in many ways, as the foundation or charter of the present-day Commonwealth.

The anniversary of the establishment of the Statute of Westminster is celebrated each year on December 11. The Royal Union Flag, commonly known as the "Union Jack," where physical arrangements allow, is flown along with the National Flag on federal buldings, airports, military bases and other federal buildings and establishments within Canada, from sunrise to sunset, to mark this day.

Physical arrangements means the existence of at least two flag poles; the Canadian flag always takes precedence and is never replaced by the Union Jack. Where only one pole exists, no special steps should be taken to erect an additional pole to fly the Union Jack for this special day.

»www.pch.gc.ca/eng/1359726490418