All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz

If you need phone + internet is Comwave the ....

If you need basic phone + basic internet is Comwave the best deal right now? $49.95 per month and you get 6/.8 internet, unlimited local calling, unlimited data and 6 months free home phone. I know you have to sign onto a contract for 3 years but really is this not a pretty good deal? I have been trying to find a way to lower the cost of my phone and internet and was going to jump on this. Now there is a hookup fee of $50 to $75 depending on certain things too which honestly is what stopped me for now from switching. Any thoughts?

Btw I am in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada so interested to hear what others think in my service area.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

Just do a Google search on Comwave Reveiw

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

said by HeadSpinning:

Just do a Google search on Comwave Reveiw

+100.

MFido
Montreal
join:2012-10-19

MFido

+101!
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

Comwave has a pretty bad reputation when it comes to cancellations.

And that price is awful. As a point of comparison, I'm paying $39.95 for 25/2 cable, also unlimited usage, and $4.95/mo for a VOIP line with unlimited long distance to most of the country and all the features.

You'd do well to shop around a little more.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

Isn't Comwave one of those providers-of-last-resort for people with sketchy credit histories?

And a 3-year contract to boot? Fcuk that.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to taraf

Premium Member

to taraf
said by taraf:

nd $4.95/mo for a VOIP line with unlimited long distance to most of the country and all the features.

What's the VoIP provider?
taraf
Ottawa, ON

taraf

said by Teddy Boom:

What's the VoIP provider?

Fongo. »www.fongo.com/home-phone/

It's basically the same company as FreePhoneLine.ca, but a paid-for version of it which includes support/customer service. Same free calling zone as FPL, and same international rates. With FPL, you pay a one-time $50 charge for the SIP configuration info and configure your own ATA adapter. With Fongo, you buy the ATA adapter from them (about par with buying it at retail, for the price) and pay $5/mo, they configure it for you and if it ever borks they fix it.

Never had a problem with the service. It just works. Plug in anywhere, and happy dance. I do know enough about SIP to fix it myself if it breaks, but there's peace of mind in knowing there's customer service if my partner's the one who needs to call and I'm not around.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

Cool

I use a fongo number for public listings, and forward it to my voip.ms line. A few years ago I had some occasional issues with fongo call quality. More recently, I haven't noticed anything, but I don't use it very much at all lately.
taraf
Ottawa, ON

taraf

Yah. I'm comfortable I know enough about how SIP works myself to be able to manage voip.ms or FPL, but it's my partner I'm worried about... she's nowhere near as technical as I am, so I prefer to have the customer service in case it craps out when I'm not around to fix it. $5/mo is nothing to pay for that... I spend more on a lattes on an almost daily basis.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

Absolutely, $5 is even a bit too inexpensive, really. I wonder how they manage to do it. I think it should be possible to make a good profit and still offer top notch quality/support for $10/month, but I don't know of a company that does that..
Expand your moderator at work
von Monster
join:2012-03-22

von Monster to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom

Re: If you need phone + internet is Comwave the ....

I've never used them but AcroVoice is well regarded in the VoIP forum. Personally I use Anveo but it's more comparable to voip.ms setup and cost wise.
taraf
Ottawa, ON

taraf to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

Absolutely, $5 is even a bit too inexpensive, really. I wonder how they manage to do it. I think it should be possible to make a good profit and still offer top notch quality/support for $10/month, but I don't know of a company that does that..

For a service like VOIP, they can turn a profit at $5/mo... if the service is reliable enough and they have enough of a customer base, they can get away with a relatively small support staff.

Also, they do charge for international calls and calls to areas not in the free calling area. Close enough to calling card rates that it doesn't make sense to buy a calling card unless you're really trying to pinch pennies ($0.02/min for parts of Canada not included and US, $0.03 for most of Europe, for example). So the $5/mo is just the minimum, not the mean revenue per customer per month. As they also have the FreePhoneLine option for customers who don't want the customer service (and charge FPL customers the same LD rates) that's an added revenue stream.

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to DeViLzzz

Premium Member

to DeViLzzz
DON'T GET COMWAVE IT S