spc
Search similar:

uniqs
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

Speedtest results

My brother has a 50/50 FIOS connection. When he runs a speedtest using speakeasy, he gets around 50 megs down. However, whenever he runs a speedtest when he is connected through a VPN, he gets upwards of 85 megs down . He ran speedtests both ways multiple times and he gets the same result.
Why would the speedtest result be much higher using a VPN vs not using one? I thought it would be the other way around
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

I doubt the 85 down using VPN is accurate. Although Verizon typically provides margin above the connection rate you pay for, 85 versus (typically) 58 (for me) for a 50/50 connection doesn't make sense. The pipe is what the pipe is, whether it's VPN or not.

What speeds do you see with speedtest.net?
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

I will have him check tonight. Also, even though the speetest through the VPN said 85 megs down, browsing or doing anything else on the internet did not seem any faster.

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

norm to navyson

to navyson
This should answer your question as to why the VPN connection is showing faster speeds on speedtest.net. I am limited to 100mbit at the ONT on a 75/75 subscription. Using a VPN connection to a server of mine with compression on, I was able to get results faster than 100mbit on speedtest.net. Obviously those weren't the speeds I was actually achieving.

»www.bestvpn.com/blog/105 ··· verview/
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

Thanks for the link.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

When connected to a VPN technically your testing the connection on the VPN server side. Not his fios connection speed
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by nyrrule27:

When connected to a VPN technically your testing the connection on the VPN server side. Not his fios connection speed

I'm not sure about that. A true VPN is a tunnel through the network to a dedicated server that connects the tunnel traffic to the network on the server's side. Only if you use a system that you remote into a server on which that server is performing all functions (like Citric solutions) would you be "testing the connection on the VPN server side." Citric may be done over a VPN, but it doesn't have to. A VPN is just a secure connection tunnel to the remote location. It is typically not other services, like a web browser that is used for the speed tests.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

However many VPN services can and do limit the throughput allowed through an established connection. You may get one that doesnt but measuring your throughput through VPN would generally not be a good measure of your lines full capability.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

I think the OP is seeing results of VPN compression, not true speeds. VPN without compression does have a slight overhead, which would actually reduce the throughput even slightly.