uniqs

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt

Premium Member

Severe Pixelation on USA (50 and 550)

Lately been experiencing very severe pixilation on USA Network (HD 550, SD 50). I've seen posts about similar issues on other channels here occasionally, but none of the solutions there seem to apply here. Anyone else in the NY area seeing this?
thetick
join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

thetick

550 has been playing fine for me. You probably need to check your coax connections.

Tomel
join:2007-11-07
Midlothian, VA

Tomel to altermatt

to altermatt
I had severe pixelation a couple of months back. Started with occasional pixelation and only on a couple of channels. Gradually got worse and worse. Finally called Verizon who sent out a tech. They checked all of my cables and signal strengths. Didn't find any problems. Finally, decided to replace the ONT. Problem solved.

May not be the same issue, but one possible answer.

altermatt
Premium Member
White Plains, NY

altermatt

Premium Member

Tomel, I have seen here in the forum another post that mentioned the ONT. The reason I didn't think it was that, and the reason I'm pretty sure thetick's answer isn't applicable, is that I'm only seeing this on USA network; wouldn't I be getting this across the board if it was the coax or the ONT? If it continues (it hasn't gotten better since I posted, but I do think I see it more on the HD channel than the SD one, which I keep switching to), I guess tech support is the next step. I just hate to deal with them . Thanks.
thetick
White Plains, NY

thetick

I disagree as loose cables have very odd behavior like only certain channels have issues while all other channels are perfectly fine.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy

USA SD is on channel 56 and USA HD is on 16. If it was a cable or ONT issue that was somehow affecting both of those channels, it would be affecting at least 100 others along with them.

Other channels on the same RF channels as those: Bravo HD, and Spike, Discovery, TLC, OWN, Food, HGTV, Comedy, MTV, VH1, CMT, TV Land, and Nick SD. If none of those are bad, it's not a signal issue.

Tomel
join:2007-11-07
Midlothian, VA

Tomel to altermatt

to altermatt
When I had the pixelation problem, it started out very sporadic and only on one or two channels. At first, I attributed it to a station specific issue since the pixelation was not occurring on most of the channels I watched regularly. As time went on, the pixelation got worse and seemed to spread to more channels. That's when I called Verizon and they ultimately fixed the pixelation by replacing the ONT. I can't give any technical explanation for what I experienced, but what I'm describing is what occurred in my case.
thetick
White Plains, NY

thetick

said by Tomel:

When I had the pixelation problem, it started out very sporadic and only on one or two channels.

Yep.. in a couple of weeks altermatt will have pixelation problems on a bunch of channels. Hopefully then he will be able to accept the bad coax connection or bad ONT explanation.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to altermatt

Premium Member

to altermatt
said by altermatt:

I guess tech support is the next step. I just hate to deal with them . Thanks.

The next step is to unscrew and reconnect all coax connection in the house. All wall plate, router, stb and ont connections. 99.99% the resolves these type of issues

altermatt
Premium Member
White Plains, NY

altermatt

Premium Member

Guys, thanks for all the additional info! I didn't realize that just one channel could be affected (at first!). I will definitely redo all the coax connections (this happens on all the STBs, not just one); if it's the ONT, I guess that means a tech call. Thanks so much for the info, and sorry for being so dense...it just wasn't intuitive for me that it would start with just one station!

Interesting about the RF channels; the only channel you mentioned on the same RF that I watch is Discovery, and that's playing fine so far. Again, thanks all!
altermatt

altermatt

Premium Member

Wanted to update a bit; was speaking to tech support about another subject (the outage today) and mentioned the pixilation on 550 and he said there is actually an open ticket there about multiple reports of this on that channel. I told him a user here (thetick) is in my area and having no problem, but he said that's certainly possible, but hundreds ARE having it. I mentioned the advice about the ONT and that I'd already re-done all the coax connections, and he promised to get back to me with more info. Thanks to everyone who responded! Knowing about the ONT issue, and that thetick is not having the issue, helped me to be very specific with tech support.