Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

SpaethCo

MVM

[Business] Static IP price increase

Heads up for business customers, static IP assignments are getting more expensive starting at the end of this month.

# of Static IP Addresses - New Monthly Rate
•1 - $19.95
•5 - $24.95
•13 - $39.95

Source: »businesshelp.comcast.com ··· nge-2015

Looks like a $5 increase across the board?
claydowns
join:2012-05-24
Ann Arbor, MI

claydowns

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Although we're not even being charged the 'current' $14.95 rate for our single static IP. I wonder what this will mean for our bill.

Having checked the most recent bill there doesn't seem to have been a notice of this (yet?). Although I could easily have missed a notice in the previous months.

Is there anyone else out there paying a rate other than the one listed on Comcast's Static IP pricing page?
tpkatl
join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

tpkatl to SpaethCo

to SpaethCo
Why does it cost more? What's the justification? What work is Comcast doing to maintain a static IP?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt to SpaethCo

Premium Member

to SpaethCo
And what will the fee be for V6 IP's, when they get that rolling?
$0.01 for a million pack?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by tshirt:

That should net Comcast a tidy profit for all of the /56 PD network assignments (I tried to calculate it, but my calculator went belly up).

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

2 recommendations

pflog to tpkatl

MVM

to tpkatl
said by tpkatl:

Why does it cost more? What's the justification? What work is Comcast doing to maintain a static IP?

I guess their (BS) justification would be supply and demand for IPv4 space?

Typical Comcast, finding ways to bleed more money out of their customers. I love how the contract "pricing" isn't really a set price.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721 to tpkatl

to tpkatl
Comcast is raising fees on a lot of there services starting 1/1/15 it's ridiculous they just keep bleeding customers for every penny they can and a year or less later they do it again. Folks you did not think that all these free speed upgrades were actually going to be free did you.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

That should net Comcast a tidy profit for all ...

It's not the price, it's the minimum order that kills ya!

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to NetFixer

MVM

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

(I tried to calculate it, but my calculator went belly up).

Use logarithms

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

Where's your slide rule?

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to claydowns

MVM

to claydowns
said by claydowns:

Having checked the most recent bill there doesn't seem to have been a notice of this (yet?). Although I could easily have missed a notice in the previous months.

The link with the information was just posted on my December bill; it might not have posted on your bill yet this month?
said by claydowns:

Is there anyone else out there paying a rate other than the one listed on Comcast's Static IP pricing page?

I'm paying less, but it's through a recurring account credit to bring the static IP fee down rather than a different base price. I guess I'll have to wait and see how that pans out starting next year.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to Jim721

Premium Member

to Jim721
said by Jim721:

Comcast is raising fees on a lot of there services starting 1/1/15 it's ridiculous they just keep bleeding customers for every penny they can and a year or less later they do it again. Folks you did not think that all these free speed upgrades were actually going to be free did you.

Well I never gotten any free speed upgrades yet... Maybe once I go to Extreme 150 I wouldn't mind paying a few extra dollars for 50Mb/s more.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ to SpaethCo

Premium Member

to SpaethCo
said by SpaethCo:

Heads up for business customers, static IP assignments are getting more expensive starting at the end of this month.

# of Static IP Addresses - New Monthly Rate
•1 - $19.95
•5 - $24.95
•13 - $39.95

Source: »businesshelp.comcast.com ··· nge-2015

Looks like a $5 increase across the board?

This was one of the factors that finally drove me off business class and to just use a VPS for my site. I had 5 IPs on the $5 promo for 4 years. Then comcast decided I should be paying $25/mo for those statics. Which was about half the cost of the bottom tier business class service ($60/mo plus modem) at the time. They basically made themselves many times more expensive than a hosting service.

Maybe IPv6 will allow cheaper statics?

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck

said by JohnInSJ:

If only they could figure out IPv6 statics.... :/

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by train_wreck:

said by JohnInSJ:

If only they could figure out IPv6 statics.... :/

Or perhaps they have already figured out the technical part, and are now trying to figure out how much to charge for them and not lose a large percentage of their BCI customers?

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

NetDog

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

Or perhaps they have already figured out the technical part, and are now trying to figure out how much to charge for them and not lose a large percentage of their BCI customers?

If you pay for static v4 you will get stable v6.. Still working on the "technical part", the trial will be starting soon we have some testing going on now.. Bottom line is I am testing stable v6 now with the trial to start in 2015..

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by NetDog:

said by NetFixer:

If you pay for static v4 you will get stable v6.. Still working on the "technical part", the trial will be starting soon we have some testing going on now.. Bottom line is I am testing stable v6 now with the trial to start in 2015..

My IPv6 pricing reply was mostly meant as a somewhat humorous reply. But it is nice to officially know that there won't be an additional fee added for static stable IPv6 addresses.

Is "stable" for IPv6 vs "static" for IPv4 an official designation?

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

NetDog

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

Is "stable" for IPv6 vs "static" for IPv4 an official designation?

I don't know what it will officially be known as but on the network side it is called stable prefix delegation..

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN

train_wreck to NetFixer

to NetFixer
LOL!

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

2 recommendations

mackey to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by tshirt:

That should net Comcast a tidy profit for all of the /56 PD network assignments (I tried to calculate it, but my calculator went belly up).

My calculator was able to handle it. It's only $47,223,664,828,696.45 per /56.

/M

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

ropeguru to SpaethCo

Premium Member

to SpaethCo
Purely nothing but for profit margin. They pay nothing more than they did before for the same space.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Conceptually the value of an IPv4 address has gone up but I tend to agree, its probably more profit driven.

lacibaci
join:2000-04-10
Export, PA

1 recommendation

lacibaci to SpaethCo

to SpaethCo
$30 for a single static IP (forced modem + IP) is ridiculous.

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01
Netgear WNDR3700v4
SMC D3CM1604
ARRIS TM602G

1 recommendation

maxbrando

Premium Member

said by lacibaci:

$30 for a single static IP (forced modem + IP) is ridiculous.

Actually it is $33 because the modem rental fee has went up to $12.95.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

lorennerol to SpaethCo

Premium Member

to SpaethCo
Next time you vote, vote for representation that encourages real competition between corporations. In the vast majority of its footprint, Comcast has no real competition. They could charge 500% more than they do now for business connections and get it.
hnbgd011
join:2015-01-27
Utica, MI

1 recommendation

hnbgd011

Apparently Comcast increased their prices for static IP addresses, just days after I extended my 3-year business agreement. But honestly I have been pretty disappointed since originally 3-years ago, the equipment fee was $7, then it went to $10 and now it is $13...what is next? $16? $19? Or maybe they will decide they need to charge more so $25 might be a new price?
I love how they make you sign the agreement and then they can manipulate with prices, so I am wondering how many other customers are impacted by this same issue?

So for their generosity they have me for the next three years, but they will lose bunch of other potential customers as I will steer everyone I know away from them. Long term = loss. Maybe someone in the upper mgmt. will get their head out of their a$$.

Or maybe there are other options..not to be discussed here in public
hnbgd011

hnbgd011

Comcast claims that modem/router/gateway as well as static IPs is optional and you can run without it???!?? So I am not sure how you can run without modem? Are they legally allowed to change the equipment fee pricing once you are in contract with them? Anyone knows? I did not see anything in there terms and conditions of the service published on their website.

Thanks!!!

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by hnbgd011:

So I am not sure how you can run without modem?

If you drop the static IPs, you can run with your own modem, and you don't have a rental fee or static IP fee.
hnbgd011
join:2015-01-27
Utica, MI

hnbgd011

Well I need static IPs for my servers, so without static IPs my service would be useless. That would be the same as you are buying a car with 3 wheels and you gotta pay rental for the forth. I really don't see point of business internet services without static IP address. I would call that residential. I understand there is probably better support with business services, but is it worth the money?

So legally speaking, can Comcast increase the modem/gateway price to anything they want or there are some rules?
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD to hnbgd011

to hnbgd011
said by hnbgd011:

Comcast claims that modem/router/gateway as well as static IPs is optional and you can run without it???!?? So I am not sure how you can run without modem? Are they legally allowed to change the equipment fee pricing once you are in contract with them? Anyone knows? I did not see anything in there terms and conditions of the service published on their website.

Thanks!!!

I'm sure their contract terms are typical end-user style contracts even for businesses, where they reserve the right to modify pricing with proper notification, etc, etc. However as with all contracts, if the contract terms change and either party does NOT agree to the change, the original contract MUST be honored or the contract is voided.

This is how most people get out of their ETF fees on their cell phone contracts - they wait for one of the stupid "administrative fees" to change and then call up and tell their provider they didn't agree to this change. Boom, contract void and the ETF is no longer applicable to the account.

Note: I am not a lawyer, so consult an attorney with contract in hand for any potential loopholes before attempting any such "bargaining" with Comcast.