spc
Search similar:

uniqs

fiosne
@173.76.87.x

fiosne

Anon

Blocking my own number

I have Verizon digital Voice. We are getting a number of bogus calls using our own number

Can I block my own number with one of the 10 Verizon blocking numbers ?

If yes, is there a negative to me for doing this ?
Thanks

T

PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

1 recommendation

PJL

The calling number is spoofed so blocking it may have no impact.

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

1 recommendation

tigerpaw509 to fiosne

to fiosne
Someone is using the App "fake caller ID"
PJL
Long Beach, CA

2 recommendations

PJL

said by tigerpaw509:

Someone is using the App "fake caller ID"

More likely it is a telemarketer using computer phones.
snic
join:2009-10-14
usa

snic to fiosne

to fiosne
A bit OT, but why does Verizon allow only 10 blocked numbers? My VOIP provider allows an unlimited number. I think I have a couple of hundred numbers in the list after about 2 years of service...
tf51d
join:2008-06-26
Kissimmee, FL

2 recommendations

tf51d to fiosne

to fiosne
I've done this with mine over a month ago, and so far it seems to have worked. I haven't called myself since!
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL to snic

to snic
said by snic:

A bit OT, but why does Verizon allow only 10 blocked numbers? My VOIP provider allows an unlimited number. I think I have a couple of hundred numbers in the list after about 2 years of service...

I agree! And to use the blocking feature on you need to disable call notification (emails).

tigerpaw509

tigerpaw509 to fiosne

to fiosne
And if I spoof your number and call your number I can get to your email so be sure to password it
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

How would you be able to do that? Do you mean voicemail?

tigerpaw509

tigerpaw509

Yes voicemai not email.
Light Guy
join:2006-05-12
Somerville, NJ

Light Guy

Anyone can get to your voicemail, by calling your number and hitting * once your message starts. Then they can then try a password.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL to tigerpaw509

to tigerpaw509
Doesn't voicemail require a password when accessed from outside of the Digital Voice system and not by the actual mailbox line? A spoofed number would be in that category. So I do not see a risk.

tigerpaw509

tigerpaw509

If a person hasnt set up a password anyone can fetch it
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

I don't think so, unless things have changed. When I initially got Digital Voice I tried to access it from other than my number first (before I had set up a password). The system prompted me for the temporary password that was enabled when the services was started.

It would be unlike any voicemail system for anyone to be able to access it just because the voicemail box owner had not set up a password first.
PJL

PJL

According to the Verizon web site that provides voicemail information, you must enter a password if you are accessing the service from other than your home location.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy

The issue is how it checks what your home location is. If the logic involves comparing the incoming caller ID number to the number associated with the mailbox (which seems entirely plausible given the general half-assedness Verizon seems to apply to many tasks), then spoofing the caller ID would be enough to get access to the mailbox, unless the user has set it to always require a password.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27 to fiosne

to fiosne
Call into tech support. We have a process for this.